What, if anything do wish to relive or to "do over" in your life?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Nellieanna profile image69
    Nellieannaposted 10 years ago

What, if anything do wish to relive or to "do over" in your life?

I was inspired to share this question from a recent Mensa Bulletin article asking members just that question.  The published replies were revealing, inspiring and, occasionally, humorous - and each, so individual. That's why it can be asked again.  I'm still thinking of my own answer!

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8431215_f260.jpg

2. Laura Schneider profile image84
    Laura Schneiderposted 10 years ago

I wish that I could have controlled my tears and my voice enough to tell my best friend from childhood/"adopted sister" that I loved her and said goodbye to her when she was on her deathbed. I hope that she somehow knows it and understood it from what I did choke out, which was utterly lame. I also wish that I had been able to attend her funeral, but I was attending to another family emergency (my mother had to be hospitalized) and was unable to say goodbye to my dear friend/sister at her funeral, too.

Nellieannaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Aw, that is, indeed, regrettable.  But I'd say that she did/does understand your emotional effort to tell her your feelings.  Perhaps she understood that you also had your mother's welfare on your mind.  At such emotional times, we're not 'at best'.

2. Laura Schneider profile image84
      Laura Schneiderposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Nellieanna! Your words bring me much comfort.

3. Twilight Lawns profile image72
      Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Nellieanna, Laura.  Sometimes nothing needs to be said, because that special other understands.

3. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 10 years ago

I would love to go back to one particular Christmas when all my family were together, for the first time, because usually there was always one or two missing for various reasons. But this one time we were all there. mother, father, uncles aunts and all the children. It was magical, memorable and I always think of it today because all of my elders have gone now, so that time was the best.

Nell, how touching.  It gives me goose-bumps, because I relate to it so much, being the last of  even my own generation alive.  It's poignant.  Hugs.

2. Twilight Lawns profile image72
      Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is so touching, Nell.  Not having had a large family, I find it hard to imagine.

4. Twilight Lawns profile image72
    Twilight Lawnsposted 10 years ago

There are many things that I would like to rectify... many, many things.  But we can only look at our lives with hindsight.  I was a different person then, so perhaps I wouldn’t have wanted someone from the future, (me), telling me what I should be doing; how I should be thinking; what I should be considering most precious.  We only realise those when they have slipped out of our careless, or uncaring fingers.
    I would like to know, here and now, that I had let my wonderful mother know exactly what a diamond she was, but I just took her and her brilliance, her intelligence, her many and varied talents, for granted.  I would like to have taken her in my arms and told her I loved her more than she could ever know - or as much as she loved me, and that was a tremendous amount of love.
    I would like to have tried to understand my father and help him to understand me.  But we spend years not doing any of that. I would like to know that I had at one stage, if only once, let him know that he was most probably one of the most intelligent and wonderful persons I had ever known. A flawed human being, as am I, but a man of integrity and honour.
    I would like to reverse time and, instead of watching someone standing, distraught and alone on the quay in Bombay, as out liner pushed out to sea, I would like to reverse time and for that wonderful person to have accompanied my parents and me into another country; away from terrible danger and for him to join us in an unknown future.  The young man I loved more than anyone in my life: Krishna, our Bearer when I was a little boy. He was my rock, my champion, my friend, my teacher, my confidant, my mentor.  He adored me and I simply worshipped the ground he walked on.
    And here endeth the First Lesson. 
    Please turn to your hymn books.  We shall now sing Hymn Number 143: "The Day Thou Gavest Lord, Is Ended"

Now you've brought tears to my eyes, dear friend.  I know the sincerity with which each of your words was written.  Thank you for sharing them.  May you feel the love of your parents and your dear friend, Krishna, as they surely feel yours.  Hugs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)