Why is caffeine good for migraines?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 10 years ago

Why is caffeine good for migraines?

My friend swears by drinking a little cup of coke to cure a migraine.  I always heard that coffee is bad for migraines, how does this work?  Does it work for you?

2. Foodeee profile image61
    Foodeeeposted 10 years ago

The best thing for migraine is a combination of Tylenol, Caffeine and Aspirin. You can actually buy this in any store. Look for migraine relief.

Headaches for the most part come from constricting blood vessels in the head. Migraines tend to be very strong long lasting headaches that can cause nausea and sensitivity to light. 
    Tylenol will help with the general initial pain of the migraine.
    The Aspirin introduces fluid into the blood stream and increases overall blood flow. This helps the real symptoms of a migraine. Introducing blood flow and hydration are natural remedies to any headache.
    The caffeine serves various roles in the reduction of the migraine. People who are caffeine dependent will often get a migraine headache because they forgot to drink their coffee in the morning. Thus the caffeine is a physical fix the the body is looking for.
    Caffeine helps the pain medication be absorbed into blood stream at a faster rate thus allowing for less medication.

Unfortunately if you allow a migraine to go untreated the symptoms seems to get worse than the headache itself and the normal treatment doesn't stop the problem. It is thought that some people who get migraines on a regular basis have a physical condition in the vessels in the brain that is very sensitive to changes in air pressure, sodium intake, and hydration and other external factors. There has been some good research done to find the true causes. Although many pharm companies only want to sell pills to hem the symptoms not cure the problem.

Moon Daisyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Foodeee, that's a really interesting answer.  I will remember that next time I get a migraine.  I get them quite a lot, and don't usually treat them at all as I don't like taking pills.  Thanks for explaining the role of caffeine too.

2. Foodeee profile image61
      Foodeeeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you don't like pills try a dark room with a hot compress on your forehead. There are some herbal teas that supposed to help but the exact one escapes me at the moment.

3. mbwalz profile image85
    mbwalzposted 10 years ago

Foodee is correct in the role of caffein and Migraines. And for many people, the combo of these three ingrediants is sufficient if taken in time. However there are many kind of migraines and for many people, a seratonin based medicine is more helpful. This is a case of pharmaceuticals that work while the mechanism is unknown.

I have several types of migraines and can not take aspirin without horrible stomach problems. I also use sumatriptan to help my cervocogenic type migraines. I take these differently than for regular migraines. Rather than take a dose every two hours until the migraine breaks, I take them every 4 hours to help keep the pain less. Again, there is no understanding as to why it works on this type.

However, if you have traditional migraines, the chemicals in coffee or other caffeinated drinks/foods (like chocolate) can be triggers. Triggers are dependant on each person's physiology (like allergies).

Thanks mwalz. I'm not sure which type of migraines I have. Coffee doesn't seem to worsen them, and they start in my neck so maybe they're like yours? I'll look into sumatriptan- tbh I hate taking pills, but sometimes they're so bad I'll try anything!

2. mbwalz profile image85
      mbwalzposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Moon Daisy, take a look at my article on Migraines. The cervicogenic migraines can be helped by other things. It's what I suffer from but I can't get rid of them permanently because of my EDS.

3. Moon Daisy profile image80

Oh wow, snap!  I have EDS too.  I always thought the headaches were related to this, they seem to happen when something in my neck moves out of place, but I've never followed it up.  I'll have a look at your hub.  Thanks. smile

4. teamrn profile image59
    teamrnposted 10 years ago

When people have migraines, their blood vessels (usually in the head) are real wide open-or dilated. Their diameter is wide and that allows more blood to flow to the area causing the horribly uncomfortable throb.

Caffeine is a POWERFUL vaso-constrictor, which means it makes those blood vessels narrow, so they clamp down and quiet down, long enough to provide natural relief. Unfortunately, when the blood vessels narrow like that, blood pressure can elevate, but it shouldn't elevate too high.

Caffeine only used to work after I'd had a few days of agonizing discomfort. Then , I found relief with it; y headaches had finally reached the point where they would RESPOND to caffeine.

Caffeine is also a powerful stimulant which is why I didn't use it in the used during the early phases of my migraine. I couldn't sleep!

Thanks teamrn, that's very interesting.  I always thought coffee was a no-no for a migraine, but I can see that it might be useful, and maybe along with other things.  I also have problems sleeping after coffee, especially in the afternoon.

2. teamrn profile image59
      teamrnposted 10 years agoin reply to this

My neuro suggested kit just at the tail end of a migraine; when you know by personal experience that it is 'on its way out.'' Then, he said it was okay to hit it with a jolt and it could help, but not as a treatment during the attack.

3. Moon Daisy profile image80

Ok, that's very interesting, thanks.

5. Penny G profile image61
    Penny Gposted 9 years ago

It can contribute to migraines but after one it helps you feel better faster, providing you don't get another. I ave had them with Aura for 47 years . My father had them and 3 of my 6 children have them and a brother.

6. ananceleste profile image61
    anancelesteposted 9 years ago

It does it for me. but then again I'm addicted to it. Also coffee makes me sleepy too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)