jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What kind of headache strikes behind one eye? What are the symptoms and treatme

1. YogaKat profile image85
    YogaKatposted 6 years ago

What kind of headache strikes behind one eye?  What are the symptoms and treatments?

Ouch . . . I have a intense headache behind my left eye.  I NEVER have headaches, but I went to a chocolate festival yesterday . . . perhaps too much chocolate?

2. nanetteparker profile image63
    nanetteparkerposted 6 years ago

i am actually experiencing a headache right now and it affects the right side of my eye... the cause i think is the too much heat outside.. aside from taking medicine, drinking enough water also helps lessen the pain..

3. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
    Daughter Of Maatposted 6 years ago

A headache behind the eye is typically a migraine or cluster headache. Chocolate is a migraine trigger. The pain is very intense, and can be a throbbing pain, or pulse, or an intense aching sensation. Treatment can include cold compresses on the eye, ibuprofen, or tylenol, caffeine, or even just going to sleep. If you've never had headaches before, it could be a migraine triggered by the phenylalaline found in the chocolate. (Interestingly, the phenylalanine is the main reason women crave chocolate around their periods.) Drinking plenty of water will help flush the body of any excess phenylalanine.

4. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 5 years ago

A headache behind one eye is a migraine headache. There are lots of triggers--not just chocolate. For my wife, smoked pork will cause one as will intense sunlight and a variety of other things.

I only had two migraine headaches in my life. The first came on suddenly, after I walked out of a dimly lit building and right into the bright sunlight. It came on instantly, and I was out of two. I had two soft drinks loaded with caffeine and the maximum dose of Advil I could take and made it home. The other started out as a normal headache, but continued for several days and turned into a migraine. There is no over the counter treatment that I know of, but there are medications, including injections that can offer immediate relief and pills which take a little longer but do not always work. You have to talk with your doctor. If you are getting them frequently, then the doctor may tell you that you cannot take any remedy for a period of time to make sure you are not suffering from rebound headaches. The bottom line is to see your doctor if you have a history of these headaches.

working