Separation of Church and State-an excerpt from...

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (19 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

Where does the expression, “Separation of Church and State” really come from?
    1. The U.S. Constitution?    No.
    2. First Amendment to the Constitution   No.
    3.  Declaration of Independence?   No.
    4.   Russian Constitution  Yes.
        The Russian constitution states there is to be a separation of church and state.

David Barton is the author of  “Separation of Church & State, What the Founders Meant.” He has done extensive research on this issue. Here is an excerpt:

Many citizens believe that the phrase “separation of church and state” is language found in our governing documents; it is not.
    When the First Amendment was finally approved, it contained two separate clauses on religion, each with an independent scope of action. The first clause (called the Establishment Clause) prohibited the federal government from establishing a single national denomination; the second clause (called the Free Exercise Clause) prohibited the federal government from interfering with the people’s public religious expressions and acknowledgments. Significantly, both clauses restricted the actions of the federal government; neither restricted the actions of citizens. Very simply, the Founding Fathers did now want a single federal denomination to rule America  (“Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion…”), but they did expect basic Biblical principles and values to be present throughout public life and society (“not prohibiting the free exercise thereof”).
        Significantly, for over a century-and-a-half after the First Amendment was ratified, this was the only manner in which it was interpreted. Unfortunately, in recent decades activist courts have dramatically redefined the word “religion” in the First Amendment, giving it a definition found in no dictionary (except the Court’s own privately-written one). The result is that the First Amendment is now used to prohibit the very religious activities that the Founders themselves once encouraged under that same Amendment.

Separation of Church & State, What the Founders Meant
    By David Barton
    800 873 – 2845   www.wallbuilders.com

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're the Grand Prize Winner!!!!!!!!!!! You're right! You're Right! You're Right! Whoa I feel dizzy!

2. ledefensetech profile image68
      ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're correct, but our nation is little like the one envisioned by the Founders.  We've moved so far away from the foundations of what they intended that it doesn't really matter what the Founders really meant.

SparklingJewelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But it does matter, and needs to continue to matter for it to matter big_smile We need the sense of soul evolution...big_smile

3. atomswifey profile image55
      atomswifeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen and AMEN!!! to this!!!
      very well written! I applaud you and the crowd goes wild~!
      Now take your bow, you deserve it!
      smile

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL Back in Russia we blamed jews for our own problems big_smile

Are Russians an equivalent of jews in modern America? wink

I don't think there was any blaming going on, but analysis and comparison with communism, etc...

I certainly don't have a Russian blame thing going on...I love you Misha, more than I do most Americans big_smile big_smile

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's mutual sis, and you know this. I could not help but poking a fun at you though smile

poke, poke, poke  to you too !!!

we are going to have to meet one day, ya know ?!

1. Misha profile image63

Sure we will. In Hell, if everything else fails smile

no, I don't believe in hell...won't catch me creating that place ! big_smile

2. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are you bragging about blaming Jews?

1. Misha profile image63

Sure, I always do. Blame and brag, blame and brag lol

1. profile image0
          A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just wondering, thanks for clearing that up for me

3. yoshi97 profile image55
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

I remember when the Pledge of Allegiance was removed from schools, all for the words 'One nation, under God'. I never saw that as much as a strike against religion, as much as I did a swipe against the forefathers who helped build this nation.

They understood the importance of being united as one nation, but for all of a few words we can no longer speak our allegiance. And yet ... our currency still says 'In God We Trust'. Has anyone ever asked you to pay your debt differently, as they were unwilling to receive a bill with such a statement on it? For me, this is the biggest unity of church and state in existence - and no - it definitely does not go against what the forefathers set in stone.

I want the pledge of allegiance back in schools - even if they must remove the under God part - as I think we really need to see ourselves as a unites nation again, especially in times like these when so many nations have lost favor with us ...

4. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 14 years ago

I know plenty of schools that still do the Pledge, it was not removed...only prayer was "outlawed" in public schools.

1. yoshi97 profile image55
      yoshi97posted 14 years agoin reply to this

In my junior year it was replaced by a moment of silence ... as it was for many schools in my area. I assumed it was banned in all schools, but I'm pleased to hear it wasn't. smile

5. coryclark profile image59
    coryclarkposted 14 years ago

You are correct about everything but forgot to mention that the first president to advocate for the separation of Church and state was Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association in 1802 to answer a letter from them written in October 1801. Click here for a copy of the letter, " http://candst.tripod.com/tnppage/baptist.htm" The letter contains the phrase "wall of separation between church and state," which led to the short-hand for the Establishment Clause that we use today: "Separation of church and state."

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)