Is there actually such a thing as "reliable news" or is news intrinsically biase

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Kathleen Odenthal profile image87
    Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years ago

Is there actually such a thing as "reliable news" or is news intrinsically biased?

I always say that we have no sources for reliable news in America, but that leads me to wonder if it is possible to deliver reliable news, with absolutely no bias? It seems like it would go against human nature. Sure some are less biased than others, but every network has an angle, right?

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 9 years ago

As a former journalist, I've written many hubs on this subject.  The bottom line, I think, is that the news is intrinsically biased because someone has to choose what is going to fill the finite number of column inches and the finite number of minutes in a broadcast.  The 24-hour news cycle has expanded the limits, but there are still limits. Simply by selecting what will make it on air or into print calls for someone's opinion about what is news and what is not.

I don't think the danger is human nature.  I think the danger is the trend to stop trying to be unbiased and us not demanding it any more.  We want the bent we want.  We want to hear our views echoed back at us.  We don't want to change our minds and too often we don't want to learn.  And unfortunately today there are too many "journalists" who are only to eager to give us what we want.

Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Wow Kathleen, I couldn't have said it better myself. Excellent answer!

3. BernietheMovieGuy profile image68
    BernietheMovieGuyposted 9 years ago

In college, I took a minor in journalism.  When writers are taught to be journalists, we are intrinsically educated to leave our biases at the door and report only that which is reportable as fact.

Far too often, however, when reporters "report", they tend to embellish with their own thoughts and feelings about the subject.  They may not do so intensionally, however it's always possible to discern a writer's bias just in the way something is phrased.  This is never more evident than in journalistic reporting of politics where there is intense polarazation regarding everything that happens in Washington and throughout the country.

I currently serve as the publicity chairman for a local political party in my home community.  While our party will always hold a philosophical bias towards the candidates who we support, when I write my press releases regarding the results of caucuses and the names of the people we chose to support, I report only the facts to the paper.  It's up to them to decide how to spin the announcement.  Responsible journalism, however, requires the spin to be kept to a minimum and only the facts need to be disseminated, however facts don't sell newspapers, just as they don't ensure viewers watching the news.  Spin equals ratings - on both sides of the aisle.

The responsibilty we have as viewers is to be cognizant of what qualifies as responsible journalism and what qualifies as spin.  Is Miley Cyrus' latest half-nude televised gyration news?  Is Lindsey Lohan's most recent DWI ticket?  How about Joe Biden's latest foot swallower?  Or Michelle Obama's latest inedible lunch treat?  Or George Bush's anniversary?  And if it isn't news, why are we listening to or watching it on the news?  Is all news just infotainment for our vapid immaturity to absorb?

At some point, we, as viewers, need to decide for ourselves where to find the source of the real news that we deserve to hear.  I get mine from a variety of sources and I take everything with a grain of salt.  The internet is a marvelous place to research the facts behind the stories and smart people will judge for themselves based on facts, not sound bites.  But as long as the sound bites sell, we'll have to keep listening to them.  And that, unfortunately, is the primary example of the irresponsibility of consumers who listen to irresponsible reporting and biased news sources when deciding on what they wish to believe.

Kathleen Odenthalposted 9 years agoin reply to this

another great response! Whether it is intentional or not, it is hard to be completely neutral.

4. profile image0
    Dave36posted 9 years ago

All news is totally biased in my opinion, & just a glance at the front pages of the morning newspapers will prove it....Some papers says he's a great politician while the others say he's not, whereas they should all say the same because he either is or he isn't it shouldn't be just their opinion....Go on the internet for the real news, & look at "all" the evidence from "all" angles, then make your own mind up....In fact never watch the news again as it's only there to depress us, & give up reading newspapers & stick to the internet....I mean have you ever wondered "why" we need to hear about some sick **** somewhere that abused some kids etc?, how does it benefit us knowing about "that" guy?....They tell us to depress us, & to keep us at home scared..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)