Will computers replace human teachers?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (15 posts)
  1. midget38 profile image86
    midget38posted 9 years ago

Will computers replace human teachers?

2. RandallJonas profile image70
    RandallJonasposted 9 years ago

I guess the simple answer is no. There are too many things a computer will never be able to teach a person. One example is what it is like to be human and that in and of itself touches on many subjects in the humanities.

midget38posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking the same thing!

3. m abdullah javed profile image75
    m abdullah javedposted 9 years ago

In no way a machine can replace human emotions. A teacher not only teaches her pupil the concerned subjects but also inculcates good manners in them. So there is no question of replacment, what we need is good humans to build a society of our dream which is absolutely not possible with machines.

4. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

It is already happening. I saw a report on Nightline about a year and a half ago, showing these computer programs teaching children. They are already available on the web for use, several subjects. They are highly regarded but I don't believe any program can replace a good teacher. Sorry I can't remember the name of the program, created by a young guy.

5. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 9 years ago

I tend to think this concept is occurring now. Since 2000 over 50% of households owned and had access to the internet. That is only one avenue of learning. Others are the software programs on the PC. I have both a typing and reading program for instance. Did they teach me to read and type. Nope. But, they teach me reading and typing.

Regarding all human teachers most certainly not. Regarding teachers most certainly yes. I have not attended a formal educational environment since 2003. From 2000 - 2003 I completed internet classes receiving my AA degree. Those were 80% of the classes I completed. The other 20% were health and science classes where there were lectures and labs. The only teaching in my view with those internet classes was grading papers and on campus tests. Most likely those were not by the professor. They were by a assistants and grading machines. There was monitoring the forum threads for assigned discussions. 

I learn constantly through instruction and demonstrations. Why, I simply only need to read an article at HubPages and I am being taught without any interaction with a teacher in a formal learning environment. You tube taught me how to build a computer. Yes, someone made the video, but I had to research what was not understood and could not ask questions. hmmmmm maybe we might be redefining teaching soon.

6. profile image0
    Lybrahposted 9 years ago

I don't think so.  What if the computer freezes or something happens?  And computers cannot emphasize or share feelings.  You'd be missing the human touch.

midget38posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have the same feeling!

7. dashingscorpio profile image78
    dashingscorpioposted 9 years ago

Not likely.
    Human beings desire interaction with other human beings.
    Most people hate dealing with ACD phone systems that route calls. Everyone presses #0 hoping to get a live person on the phone as soon as possible.
    Now if people feel that way about everyday transactions they're going to definitely want to deal with a human being when it comes to something as important as education.
    Also if computers replaced teachers that would be the end of essay questions where students explain their reasoning or use conceptual thinking. It's the difference between knowing the "right answer" and (knowing why) it's the "right answer."
    Every test would have to be multiple choice or true/false. Computers also would lack the ability to adjust or explain a concept to an individual student in a way that they comprehend.
    It would be even more of a "one size fits all" learning model than what we have today.

8. Alphadogg16 profile image85
    Alphadogg16posted 9 years ago

I personally think its a bad idea, however I think its pretty much inevitable the way technology is advancing.

9. Tammy L Bond profile image60
    Tammy L Bondposted 9 years ago

I hope not. I believe that teaching incorporates some nurturing and that is one thing that you can't get from a computer. Even online courses have human teachers who can fill this role albeit from a distance - if they're a good online teacher.

10. midget38 profile image86
    midget38posted 9 years ago

Do you think computers will replace teachers? read more

11. connorj profile image69
    connorjposted 9 years ago

Although highly unlikely it is possible. Machines are becoming more capable and if we suffer from significant pandemics it could become necessary to at minimum have distance learning. Combine what I just texted with declining monies for concrete buildings one could conclude a significant increase in distance learning (i. e. learning from home). Thus, I would conclude that the Machines will not replace "man" yet distance learning will become the norm via machines with teachers administering e-courses and perhaps proctoring the process...

12. poeticmc profile image73
    poeticmcposted 9 years ago

I think it depends on the environment... In a school/classroom setting, I'm sure more and more school work could and would be assigned online, but it would depend on the school budget and costs.   To have a computer lab at a school is one thing, but could society afford to furnish every classroom with a computer?  Also, given the statistic that more time is allocated by teachers to disciplining students, than time spent teaching, a computer would be useless...  I can see maybe in a home school setting or smaller school, that this could be the case... but I think we have a long way to go before this happens...  Because even kids on computers would have to be monitored by someone... since kids could tend to surf the net or play games opposed to doing school work when no one is watching, even if you block certain sites, they are savvy and might find a work around...   When you think of college online, you still have a teacher...  I just don't foresee computers replacing them...  I compare it to calling an automated phone service line... you can't get all your questions answered, sure you can pay a bill, check to see how much you owe, but sooner or later, you might have to talk to a real human being...

13. Zaina Star profile image61
    Zaina Starposted 9 years ago

They shouldn't ! but yes computers are replacing teachers.In virtual universities,even though there are recorded lectures but rest you have to do or learn all by yourself using your computer and your virtual teacher MR.GOOGLES big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)