Would it be weird to turn your beloved dog into a coat when they pass away?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. sulcatamandy profile image80
    sulcatamandyposted 9 years ago

Would it be weird to turn your beloved dog into a coat when they pass away?

People choose to morn and remember their beloved pets in many ways. Some people will have their dog stuffed by a taxidermist, other people have their pets cremated and keep the ashes. Cruela Deville tried to steal Dalmatian puppies to make a coat in the Disney film 101 Dalmatians. So what do you think? Is it weird to want to keep your pets hide and make a jacket of it?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11852118_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 9 years ago

Yes! Why would anyone want to wear any animal fur?

3. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

No weirder than making a coat out of Grandma...

Yes! It's weird! I can't imagine why anyone would want to wear their dog.

1. profile image0
      christiananrkistposted 9 years agoin reply to this

what makes it weirder than wearing leather or other type of fur?

2. lisavollrath profile image94
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Because it's your dog. Someone who lived with you, and loved you, and deserves to not have its body pillaged. (And I don't wear fur or leather. I'm vegan.)

3. profile image0

i understand completely if youre vegan , how you wouldnt do that. for me though, i dont see how using a cow for clothing is different. a dog although a pet in our culture, is still an animal. i think taxidermy or clothing is a cool way to remember.

4. lisavollrath profile image94
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In my home, the dog is part of the family. I can't imagine disrespecting a loyal, loving dog by turning him into clothing. I just lost an 18 year old rat terrier in March. The idea of wearing his fur as a collar is disgusting to me.

5. sulcatamandy profile image80
      sulcatamandyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

While I don't think Grandma would make a good coat either, my grandma is an organ donor, so its entirely possible that when she dies, someone could make use of her skin, after all, it is the largest organ of the body.

6. Aime F profile image71
      Aime Fposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think there's a big difference between donating organs to save someone's life/greatly help someone and wearing it as fashion. I would say wearing a hat made of your grandma's scalp would be pretty friggin' weird.

7. sulcatamandy profile image80

But what if her hair was donated for a wig?

4. profile image0
    christiananrkistposted 9 years ago

i think thats kind of a cool thing to do with your dog. if he is big enough, i say go for it. it not any weirder than wearing leather or fur from any other animal.

5. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 9 years ago

Yeah, I think that's weird. A bit too personal for me. Though I don't wear animal furs/skins to begin with.

6. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 9 years ago

Ok, well based on the answers here I must be weird. There was a cute TV series here in America called Scrubs. The main characters had their dog stuffed and made into a little statue they kept, sometimes using as a toy or propping their feet on. I always thought that was a great idea. I always joked with my husband that I would do that when my dog died. My dog died last year and I couldn't bring myself to take her to the taxidermist.
    Keeping some of the hide would be weird, but to each his own. Personally fur coats make me itchy!

1. profile image0

i just wanna say scrubs is a great show. i must be weird as well. i think its a cool idea. i dont see how is any weirder really than using another animal or taxidermy.

7. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 9 years ago

Ummm....nah. We recently lost our dog and it was a terrible time for our family, but making a coat out of him never even crossed our minds. That's just creepy as hell.

8. sulcatamandy profile image80
    sulcatamandyposted 9 years ago

I am also of the opinion that wearing a dogs fur coat is no different than the fur of another animal aside from the fact that one may have a close bond with their pet, even to the point of thinking of them as a family member. I also think its that close bond that makes the idea of wearing your pets fur coat a little weird.

But consider this: when a family member passes away certain things happen. For instance, you decide whether your family member is embalmed and buried, cremated, cryogenically frozen, turned into a tree, a diamond or a number of other tangible elements. Some people choose to carry ashes of their loved one forever, and some spread them out in places that are close to their heart. My point is everyone honors their loved ones and/or family member in different ways.

I have a hound dog. He is my best friend and I saved him from a life of malnourishment, bacterial infection, and loneliness. He is pretty much the same size as me, weighs in just under 100 pounds, and has the most amazing markings and fur coat I have ever seen. Sometimes, when I get home from work and sit down on the couch to unwind from my day, my hound dog will jump up on the couch and cuddle me. He has an excessive amount of skin and fur, and sometimes when I get cold, I can use his extra fur as well as his 16 inch ears as a blanket to keep me warm. I cant imagine my life without my hound dog. I can think of no better way to honor his memory, than by cherishing the warmth he gives by making him my jacket. Although I dread the day I would actually have to do it. Hopefully he will live forever smile

1. sulcatamandy profile image80

I went to a benefit/silent auction at a local establishment this week. One of the items on the block was a coyote hooded shawl. Coyotes may be wild, but they are only steps away from a dog. It was a beautiful shawl. It went 250 dollars at auction.

9. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 9 years ago

it would be crazy to stuff dead pets, might as well let it rest in peace

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)