In what ways is the USA military different than ISIS?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. peeples profile image94
    peeplesposted 8 years ago

In what ways is the USA military different than ISIS?

Politically incorrect I guess to ask but curious what others think.
    American army follows orders without question, bomb and kill civilians, attempts to control other countries, would die for their cause, believe our killing is somehow justified, and are proud of what they do. ISIS does the same. So what are the real differences between the two other than religion?

2. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

I don't think that the US Military would blow themselves up for their God, and they are careful not to try to hit civilians when in combat.  The US Military will fight for this country and the freedom of its people, while ISIS will kill in the name of Allah, and they do not care who they kill.  They think they will receive 100 virgins upon entering heaven.  It is an honor to kill or die in the name of Allah.  I would say the US Military does what it does for much different reasons.  Also, when the US tries to "control" another country, they are really trying to help it, while ISIS wants a one world caliphate, and will kill anyone who does not covert to Islam.

peeplesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for answering!

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 8 years ago

Your question is a valid one. All soldiers are trained to fight and probably trained to kill, it's whether that training leads to what might be called dirty or clean tactics. The spectrum is big and wide and often widens further during a state of war.

I'd say the differences between the two are quite significant.The military of the USA is the product of a centuries old democratic political process. Daesh (ISIS,ISIL,Islamic State so called) is a collection of extremists that was formed in 1999 and has since grown due to instability in Iraq and Syria. They are Sunni Arabs in the main and believe in jihad or holy war or struggle to maintain Islam. Their declared aim is to conquer the world eventually and bring everyone under sharia law. Anyone opposing this aim will be killed. I don't think the US military have quite the same aims.
    Daesh use terror tactics and suicide missions, striking in public spaces against innocent citizens. The US usually fights openly - planes, ships and artillery, plus soldiers with guns - and at least tries to avoid civilian casualties. Daesh use beheading, torture and oppression (especially of women) to control areas of territory. The US does not behead prisoners, SHOULD NOT torture them and usually does not oppress people. Daesh claims to be on a holy war - a religious - crusade against the west but often ends up killing Muslims. The US military only gets involved in conflicts when US interests are threatened or when allies need help. It doesn't have religion as its main purpose to exist.

Thanks Andrew.

2. profile image0
      PeterStipposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The USA supports dictatorships, The US Tortures, The US wants to control the world. The US kills civilians. - But luckily the US promotes freedom of opinion, freedom of art, freedom of religion and ideology. ISIS does not.

4. junkseller profile image79
    junksellerposted 8 years ago

I suppose one could argue that the soldiers aren't much different, but more broadly there are many differences.

1. The US military is led by a democratically elected civilian.
    2. Our system has elements of civilian oversight from democratically elected officials and government agencies.
    3. Our military has a layer of judicial oversight which is based upon our secular legal system (we judge them).
    4. Our military does not operate on home soil.

The leader of ISIS is self-appointed and the only probable oversight present is whether people properly behave according to a twisted interpretation of Islam, and they obviously are operating on their home soil.

I am somewhat sympathetic to your question because I haven't agreed with our military actions for the past couple of decades (at least), but that isn't the fault of our military. It is our fault. The people under ISIS don't have that choice. And that is an enormous difference.

Thanks for the answer!

2. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

That answer was outstanding.

3. profile image0
      Hxprofposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mike, I agree with you!

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
      Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"but that isn't the fault of our military. It is our fault. "  Damned straight - good point.

5. Ericdierker profile image45
    Ericdierkerposted 8 years ago

I think it is fine that you asked this very awkward question. People who have never been in or around our military probably really do not get it. Probably what you have listed sounds like a normal list to anyone. All soldiers have certain similarities. And I think you about listed all of them. Perhaps in ignorance or to goat you listed one that is wrong. And you specify Army instead of military. And you suggest that killing civilians is a goal of ours like it is theirs - which could not be further from the truth. Our rules of engagement forbid the killing of civilians as a mission at all. Theirs gives "bonuses" for killing civilians
    As far as following orders you may find (UCMJ) 809[890].ART.90 (20) et seq. interesting. Lawful orders are to be followed and unlawful, including from the Commander-in-Chief are not to be followed. The Uniform Code of Military Justice make clear our marching orders not the ragtag self proclaimed current Messiah of a terrorist regime.
    You just suggested that our military folk are just like terrorists -- good for you, get the issue out there. By proclaiming ignorance we open the door to learning.
    Our use of force is never justified like it would be being a battered spouse might claim justification along with self defense. Our killing of others is "necessary" for the preservation of innocent life and our way of life.
    What country are we trying to control? One country does not control another sovereign that is made up Hollywood and pulp fiction nonsense. We can however control to an extent leaders. That is called heavy handed diplomacy. No battlefield participant ever tried to control a country.
    HONOR is something you missed entirely. ISIS has no honor and our military does - we prosecute wrongful behavior, we have freed more countries from tyranny times ten more than any nation ever.
    Our nation's military is secular completely. We do not fight for Crown or glory. We fight for freedom.
    I have never been "enlisted" but I have served our armed forces. My involvement was in the JAG corp. I am not insulted by your question.
    People need to get it, that we are a "cut above" all other militaries in the world.
    Proud to serve and more proud to do right!

Army was a slip of tongue, all my family (males) have been army except one. Force of habit. Thanks for your reply.

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
    bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years ago

They wear a uniform, they follow the Geneva conventions, they are not religious extremists killing for Allah.
    They represent a real country.
    Civilians are not their targets, and any civilians that are killed or injured by our military were mistakes of some kind.
    They don't hide in churches or mosques.
    Terrorists seek out to kill as many civilians as they can, and find soft targets like the Paris Attack.

7. Old-Empresario profile image71
    Old-Empresarioposted 8 years ago

The military is officially sanctioned as an agency of the government of a nation-state. ISIS is a rebel organization that operates outside of a government's authority. The military represents and enforces a government's political policy. Rebels represent the ideologies of their private organization.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image49
      bradmasterOCcalposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I like that answer

2. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am having trouble with this based upon the United States civil war. Rebels had a country. ISIS has established a Caliphate. Are you basing this on UN recognized "countries".

8. profile image0
    PeterStipposted 8 years ago

The US is a state, ISIS a movement.
    That's the only difference.
    Both are killing civilians and using terror and torture.

9. profile image53
    peter565posted 8 years ago

Well that started this war, that is a pretty good start smile

10. annasmom profile image67
    annasmomposted 8 years ago

Well let's see ...
    I have no family members that belong to ISIS.
    I haven't seen recruitment videos by our military showing beheadings of people that hold different beliefs than the military.
    ISIS is not inclusive of people with different religious or sexual orientations.
    I haven't seen ISIS give equal opportunity to women with the exceptions of suicide vest wearers, or shrouded, subservient, shadow people ... unless being a potential virgin awaiting your next martyr is something they can sign up for.
    ISIS would never let you print this on their public domain and live ...
    ISIS wouldn't approve of you having an opinion or photograph.
    I really don't have the time to keep going, but interesting question!

11. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 8 years ago

The US Military fights to protect our freedoms or to extend freedom to the people in oppressed countries.  ISIS fights to take freedoms away from the people they conquer.  When it comes right down to it, that's the major difference.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)