Regretting a purchase ($50 & up) for any reason, do you return for a refund or e

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)
  1. fpherj48 profile image59
    fpherj48posted 7 years ago

Regretting a purchase ($50 & up) for any reason, do you return for a refund or exchange OR are you

the type of person who is reluctant to return something, so you chalk it up to a disappointing purchase & forget it?  In either case, why do you choose the option?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13385143_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image93
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

I'm a pack it up and return it kinda girl, even if it's a small purchase. If it doesn't meet my expectations, I'm not shy about taking (or sending) it back. Why should I keep something I'm not happy with, when returning it and trying something else is an option?

fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes!girl after my own penny-pinching heart! If I return 4 any reason, I have my receipt & off I go. I ask this bcuz of friends who refuse 2 return things.They stick it in a box,give it away,sell at a yard sale w/tags! Waste $$ is a crime IMO! LOL

2. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 7 years agoin reply to this

My dollars are tight. I don't have the luxury of being able to keep things that aren't doing what I bought them to do!

3. fpherj48 profile image59

Oh I hear you!  I suffer from Budget fever but fight it fiercely. You get so expert at it, you can almost make it look easy!  I've devised tips & tricks most people have never considered!  LOL  This is all a testament 2 our genius, Lisa!!  LOL

3. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 7 years ago

I have no qualms with returning something. Why? With my income these days I pretty much don't hesitate . . . most of the time. $20 will provide enough gas for a month if I am careful or is something special like Fillipis PIzza. M'm . . . M'm I say most of the time because in some cases non-returnable means an opened package. But, some places do accept it as Customer Satisfaction policy.

tsmog..Exactly. It boggles my mind that some people have no problem just letting any amt. of $$ just fall by the wayside. Why? Becuz they have a mental block about returns being a hassle?  But they aren't! B smart~B frugal!  Pennies count!

4. wabash annie profile image77
    wabash annieposted 7 years ago

I hate the time it takes to return items.  As a result, I avoid impulse buying.  I also never take an item of clothing home without trying it on.  On the rare times I am not satisfied with a purchase, I do return it.  Recently, I purchased boots from an online store on eBay.  This brand cannot be bought in stores here.  They did not fit quite right so was faced with either returning them or wearing them anyway.  I could have gotten my money back less shipping and a restocking fee.  I decided to put them up for sale on eBay, hoping to do better that way.  I am very conscious of wanting to save both money and my time.

Annie...I'm with you! No impulse buying for me either!  Looks like you've got an excellent handle on the "Return" situation!  Good for you & your finances.

5. Genna East profile image82
    Genna Eastposted 7 years ago

Hi Paula.  I used to think, oh well, just another mistake.  But not anymore.  Now, I'm a return/refund gal. :-)  So I try to be more careful with my purchases.

I know exactly what you mean, Genna. I think a lot of people see returns as 1 big hassle. It really isn't. ALL stores do it now-a-days..1-2-3 & the transaction is done! Have U ever dined out w/ a person who refuses to send back a bad meal?! Arghh

6. HoneyBB profile image93
    HoneyBBposted 7 years ago

I usually return for a refund unless it's something that I really want and I can exchange for the same thing except without the problem I'm returning it for. My exception is with food. I have a bag of oranges in the kitchen that are gross. I bought them a few days ago and I'm still holding on to them in case I get back to the grocery store which is about 20 miles away. Most likely, I will end up throwing them out and never getting my refund.

Honey...Don't toss them! I have great advice 4 U. Bcuz U can't know when U may bring them back...CALL the store & explain the issue, exchange names w/ the person U speak 2. W/ receipt & UR prior call, there should B no problem!

2. HoneyBB profile image93
      HoneyBBposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paula, I will definitely give them a call tomorrow...after I sent my message I looked down at the area rug I received a week ago that I ordered online and I hate it but I haven't sent it back because I will have to package it and pay to send.

3. fpherj48 profile image59

Does it actually state u pay return postage? If not, call 800# & ask them if they'll email U a paid shipping label. If not, convince URself U LOVE that rug!!  LOL A heavy item like that will cost too much. I promise, U'll grow 2 love it!!

7. Au fait profile image83
    Au faitposted 7 years ago

For the price you quote, I will return the item.  It is always a PIA to have to return something regardless of the reason, but I am not in a tax bracket where I can afford to just throw money away. 

Years ago when I spent a great deal of time shopping (my circumstances were very different from now) returning items didn't bother me because most of the time I made regular trips to the various stores anyway.  Often I would buy clothing (not shoes) and leave it hanging in my closet with the tags on until I wore it.  If I hadn't worn it after 3 months I would usually return it.  Yes, I was spoiled.

Having grown up in a tarpaper shack, $20, let alone $50, seemed like a lot of money to me, and I wasn't about to write it off.  Besides that, to just forget about a purchase and toss it in the corner because it turned out to be unsuitable for some reason would have been disrespectful to my husband who worked very hard for our money. 

I have become much more frugal and careful with money as time goes on.  I no longer buy clothing and let it hang in my closet until I get around to wearing it.  If I haven't an immediate use for it, I don't buy it.  Further, I have pared down my possessions considerably.  It reaches a point where one must question the sanity of buying things that must have a place, must be dusted or cared for and in some cases insured.  Most Americans have way too much -- stuff.

My daughter used to collect everything.  There wasn't much she didn't want, and if she could she would add it to the huge mound of STUFF in her room.  Money never lasted long in her possession.

I explained to her that collecting the money itself was a worthy pass time.  It always matches everything perfectly.  It always fits just right.  And you can take it to the bank where professional money sitters will take good care of it, watching over it, dusting it, etc. 

It's so much easier when one moves not to have to box it up, put it into the moving van, and haul it to your new abode, or to haul it up or down stairs.  No need to worry about thieves or misplacing it. 

If you miss it you can always go to the bank for a visit and ask one of the lovely money sitters to let you hold some of your money, fondle it a bit if you like, and even talk to it if you fear it may be lonely.  Then you can put it back in its place before you leave for safe keeping.

So much more convenient to collect money as opposed to things.

LOVE UR entire comment, especially the last 5 paragr-s LOL A fabulous comedy routine! From 1 dry humorist 2 another~Thank U. U made my day. As 4 the serious parts. Agree, understand & live by the same rules. Frugality is in my DNA!! UR FUNNY! smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)