I shaved my head two days ago. Have you ever shaved your head (speaking to wome

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Gina Welds-Hulse profile image89
    Gina Welds-Hulseposted 6 years ago

I shaved my head two days ago.  Have you ever shaved your head (speaking to women mostly)?  Why?

What was your main reason behind shaving your head?  Describe your experience.  How did friends, family and/or strangers react? Did you let your hair grow back eventually? What lessons, if any, did you learn from the experience?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13715216_f260.jpg

2. Necento anto profile image87
    Necento antoposted 6 years ago

Hey Gina,
    I have never shaved my head. Even when I was a baby, my parents never shaved my head. I am just scared of shaving my head. I cannot imagine myself without hair on my head. Why did you shave your head? It looks good on you!

Gina Welds-Hulseposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Hair has definitely come to be considered a "mane attraction" among women.  I shaved my head to raise funds for childhood cancer research, but I did not think I would enjoy the freedom it brings of not having to deal with the upkeep of hair.  Thanks.

3. MarleneB profile image92
    MarleneBposted 6 years ago

Yes. I shaved my head in April this year. I was sick and tired of dealing with flat irons, hair color, hair cuts, etc. So, I shaved it. My husband liked it. Everyone else wanted to know if I was OK. I mean, they thought I had lost my mind. I'm letting it grow back. I was wearing wigs up until about two days ago. It's short, but it is manageable. I learned that people really do judge a person by their hair. By the way, you look adorable.

Marlene, I can see where maintenance is a great reason for shaving.  I've also received the "Are you ok" question since doing it.  I can imagine that wigs would be so much fun....so much choices in them.

2. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Gina, you are right about the wigs. I didn't mind people knowing I was wearing a wig, because I thought of it like a hat and I would change the wig to fit my mood. I was a blonde, a brunette, short hair, long, curly, straight... lots of fun.

4. nochance profile image88
    nochanceposted 6 years ago

I didn't shave my head but my mother made me cut all of my hair off when I was in 8th grade. I had always had very long hair and she thought it would be good for me to experience different hair lengths. So basically they cut it down to about an inch long.

I was 14 and I had no idea how to style it so it just stood straight up until it started to grow out. I dressed in baggy clothes at that time and I looked like a boy for a long time.

Hair is hair, it grows back. I did hate growing it out though. I love being able to have my hair back from my face and not being able to put all of it up in a ponytail was the worst.

I've always had long hair, until about 4 years ago when it started to fall due to illness.  I did manage to grow it back until I shaved it recently, but I was never forced to grow my hair.  Growing up hair was always a big deal.. having long hair.

5. profile image58
    BeeeGeeeposted 6 years ago

Gina, I also shaved my head in January of last year. My hair was no longer growing from years of straightening it. So the ends were just damaged and the natural oils pretty much gone. Or at least it seemed that way.
    I had my cousin shave it for me and it was about half an inch long at first. The experience was something I'll never forget. People definitely look at you differently and my family thought I was nuts. I got the word "brave" a lot too, though. But I never got used to it. Until it was at a length I could style, I wore a beanie. My hair has been long my whole life and it was just too different for me.
    I went to get it cut and styled twice but because I was really growing it out, I wasn't happy with how much was cut off. So I stopped going to the salon and just left it the way it was.
    It's now passed my shoulders and almost to the length it was when I first shaved it.

I've heard the word "brave" a lot also.  Last night I was out and about and realized that that I was getting stares.  I forgot about my shaved head. Don't think I've ever felt more badass, but you can't be shy with a shaved head. It's all face! lol

6. dottiewheeler profile image59
    dottiewheelerposted 6 years ago

I haven't, too chicken. I always thought it would be cool. How do you like it?

For the longest time I was "chicken" also.....but this Summer I decided to take the bold step, as others call it.  I LOVE IT!!!! i, honestly, didn't think I would love it this much, but I do.  It is such a freeing experience.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)