How do external links effect articles?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Shesabutterfly profile image94
    Shesabutterflyposted 6 years ago

I'm wondering how articles are effected when they are linked to by outside websites. I'm assuming if the other website is a good site article views should rise. Are there any negatives to having articles being linked to, especially if the site doing the linking is not a good one?

As a general rule I don't link to outside sources or articles unless necessary. I will occasionally link to my own articles if they contain useful information or are directly related, but more often than not I do not use links. I tend to find linking and all the rules hard to remember, so I try to avoid it when possible. I found a website that has linked to my article and am curious how this could effect it once the website is acquired by Maven.

Currently the website has not brought me many views (65 for a few days over a year ago, roughly around the time it was stolen) and I don't expect it to once the site launches on Maven, but I'd like to have a heads up if something negative or potentially positive could come from this.

I've been searching Google and didn't find anything extremely negative, but most of my research was in regards to if I was doing the linking. Are there any benefits to being linked in this way? Could my page lose rank on Google? Are there other things I should be worried about? For my article the author did not claim to own the works within the link (unlike some of the others), so I think I should be okay in regards to any copyright issues. Could my article actually see more traffic once this website becomes launched by the Maven network? I've heard Maven is suppose to bring our views up, but I haven't noticed any upticks in traffic yet, so I'm wondering if this website would be different as they would actually be on Maven.

I have not been keeping up with the whole Maven thing since learning that we should not be moving to the platform, but decided I was going to see what the site itself looked like now that it's been a few weeks. I noticed that Maven is acquiring craftgossip.com. This site has in the past stole articles from HP, and now currently has over 20 hp and niche site articles linked throughout the website. I was looking around the site and noticed that one of my articles that they had previously stolen was put back on the site, but instead of having my article word for word the "author" wrote a short introduction paragraph and simply linked to my article. Many of the "articles" on craftgossip are set up this way. One or two paragraphs with a link to a site that has the actual information. After further digging, I've noticed a good number of Maven sites are set up this way (very link heavy with little original content), so I'm not surprised they aquired craftgossip.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
    DrMark1961posted 6 years ago

If your article has numerous incoming links it will achieve better page rank on the search engines and you will get better traffic. If you go to the hub, look up the stats, and then check the overview, HP uses a star system to record the number of incoming links. If you have 5 stars, great. Your article has many incoming links, Google will notice and improve your page rank, and you will likely have good page views if the subject is searched for. (My articles that have good traffic have all been linked to many times.)
    If you have one star it means that you do not have many incoming links--people are not linking their blogs and other articles to your article and your page rank will reflect that. Your traffic will be less than optimal.
    If the links are natural there are no negatives that I am aware of. If you go to the link sites and buy links then Google might notice this and your page will have a lower page rank.
    I am not qualified to answer your questions on Maven.

1. Shesabutterfly profile image94
      Shesabutterflyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

This is very helpful thank you! I've noticed the stars before, but didn't know exactly what they meant or what they were used for.

Do you know if mulitple facebook or pinterest shares would create more than one star? I know the shares would all be within the same platform, but would each share or reshare be it's own link and therefore helping to increase the number of stars I would get? As far as I can tell my top performing article traffic wise has only been shared on these two platforms and it has 5 stars. I'm assuming if the article was linked somewhere else online my traffic sources should reflect that? Although it sounds like incoming links even if they don't bring in traffic would still be helpful and raise stars?

1. lobobrandon profile image89
        lobobrandonposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Incoming links do not always bring in traffic. But if they are on a good website they do help your article rank better.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
        DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think Google and HP have a very different system. I have 5 stars on one artilce that has about 30,000 visits from Pinterest, but according to Marisa Wright Google will only count 2 links per site so that page has terrible page rank. It has few links to other sites except Pinterest and Facebook. So, according to Google that page only has four incoming links, and is not doing well.

Google doesn't just count two links. They consider them all. But the relevance to the linked page from the linking page matters.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
            DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

So if the links are from Pinterest or Facebook, which are not very relevant to my articles, they have little importance to Google?

What you get from social media are not links. They are social signals

2. Shesabutterfly profile image94
            Shesabutterflyposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I find this very interesting. Is there a way to see what sites/blogs/social media sites have shared or linked to a specific article? One of my articles has 5 stars and is on the first page of Google, but the only traffic I get from it are Google, pinterest, and the occasional facebook and delishably. I'm wondering if I would possibly have other links on a different site that simply are not directing traffic, or if the aforementioned sites would be enough to give the article 5 stars. I found a site that is suppose to show me how many shares a certain link has from different media sites, but it doesn't show if any other websites have linked to my article or not.

Majestic and semrush show you links to a page. They are paid to use though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)