Whaaa! My season is over!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (49 posts)
  1. robhampton profile image93
    robhamptonposted 5 years ago

Thanks to Amazon being 2 months behind, I'll still get a good payout in October. After labor day though my earnings dropped like a rock (as expected) This months payout will still exceed $1200.00.. So during this unseasonal down time is when I edit and write more articles.. Hope HP hangs in there. This year has been amazing! Between 4-5K views per day consistently for several months equals excitement! (and some really good money) Hopefully I will surpass that next season. Great community, glad to be a part of it for nearly 9 years and hopefully many more!

1. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Fantastic achievement.  Having a niche subject such as yours has certainly paid off.  You should be very proud.

2. ziyena profile image92
      ziyenaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hello Rob ... Congratulations on your effort and rewards when writing.  I have a curious question for you in regards to a problem that I've been having with Amazon capsules.  I've checked out five of your articles in random and scrolled down the pages and did not see any Amazon products on display.  You stated that you're waiting for the return on  Amazon results ...  which articles in particular?  The problem that I've been having is that the system keeps flagging my Amazon products and deleting them and so I'm beyond frustrated on how you actually keep them on your hubs.  I've read the articles in the help section, followed guidelines specific to rules being that the products must relate directly to the subject at hand and that we must give a brief on why we suggest or recommend yet still they are deleted.  I'm just looking for Good examples as to how you are supposed to display them so they aren't deleted but I didn't see any for your hubs.  Do you have a specific article that shows your product as an example so that I might compare and see what it is that I'm doing wrong?  I've gone as far as deleting all 'my Amazon products because I'm so far beyond frustrated ... YOUR expert advice would be helpful

robhamptonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi. My articles about phosphates have Amazon links for phosphate remover, a few others have algeacides and I think I have a some on a few others. They are picky about links and I've had many of them snipped, but a few still remain. I sell a ton of phosphate remover but people also buy other things on Amazon after they click the link. Here's a screenshot of my cleaner repair article that has an amazon link.

https://hubstatic.com/14199881.png

So I've noticed most of the time when people click the link for the A-frame, they usually end up buying the entire rebuild kit. A few months ago someone bought an entire pump system and I made I think over $100 on that alone.

1. ziyena profile image92

Alright ... now I think I'm getting it.  I think I see what I've been doing wrong all along. It's placed within the text of the article and not as a separate entity all by itself.  Thanks to you Rob for taking the time to show and clarify that for me ... really helped to clear up my confusion.  Now to figure out how you did that lol  Cheers

1. theraggededge profile image98
            theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ziyena, simply highlight the text, which should be the name of the item. Click on the chain link icon in the text editing toolbar. Select the Amazon tab and you should see the item. Click it. Click Save.

1. ziyena profile image92

Good Lord!  Mystery completely solved ... HaPpY DaNcE! 
              Thanks to you both ... Rob & the Edge !!

2. robhampton profile image93

That's actually easier than the way I was doing it lol. Thanks!

3. Butterfly67 profile image89
      Butterfly67posted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's amazing Rob, well done! If you are 2 months behind on Amazon does that mean that you are using your own Amazon profile rather than going through HP? I switched to HP in July and my Amazon earnings have really increased since I did. I guess maybe HP have a good percentage rate in my niche compared to me as an individual which may not be the case in your niche, I don't know.
      I do have another profile with articles in various topics so I can just keep to one on this profile, it is useful to have somewhere to put the random stuff but like you say I like to keep the niche stuff to one profile.

I use only HP for Amazon. The 2 months behind thing is same for everyone on HP meaning that Amazon sales I make this month (sept), I'll see that payout on November 28th along with whatever I make for HP impressions in November.

1. Butterfly67 profile image89

Oh right thanks Rob I didn't realise that, shows how much attention I pay to what I got paid last month (which i thought included my July Amazon earnings for the 10 days I was in the program!).

4. sallybea profile image95
      sallybeaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just curious, is most of your traffic from the States?   Other countries such as South Africa, will soon be entering their Summer season and they are big on salt water and eco pools.

2. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Great news!  I am happy for you!

3. EricFarmer8x profile image94
    EricFarmer8xposted 5 years ago

If you makes you feel any better your off season is still way better than my best days. It is clear you put a lot time and effort into getting where you are now. Nice job.

4. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

Maybe open a side business in dog sledding, snow shoeing and skiing?  Great job on your seasonal earning though!  Do you use the off season to work on new content or redesign older content?  I imagine you have a good number of return viewers who want to see new stuff every season as well as maybe updated stuff they've already seen, right?

Yes.. Analytics shows some faithful return visits. This is how I answer the question I've seen many times.. "can I open more than one account?" Most responses from even experienced hub people discourage it. Wrong! I have a niche and am known for it. I often link through email, Facebook, etc... to my hubpages homepage regarding my pool expertise. I WANT it to reflect my knowledge of the pool industry and just seems weird if there's some off topic article as they scroll through..(pool this, chlorine that, pH this, how to sew a button..) Huh? Know what I mean?  Niche is important to me. I want hubpages.com/@robhampton to reflect what I boast about. To me, it seems more professional when I am dealing with big wigs in the pool industry and can direct them to my hubpages page, not to just a single niche url. Many in here may disagree and say just shove all articles under one name, but for me it's worked very well building a name for myself and not tainting my profile with non niche articles. Love you all!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I resolved this issue awhile back by opening a second site under a different pen name where I could write about anything I wanted to share.  It keeps my niche site separate but also keeps money coming in in my own off season...and it's kind of fun to do, too.  I have yet to come up with one specific topic on that site that takes off, but keep hoping that I will. Hard to find something I know as much about as my niche lol!

Agree smile

That's the direction I'm thinking of going. Another account for miscellaneous hubs. (are we still calling them hubs? not sure) I have like 3 or 4 unpushlished articles that are partially written that have been sitting there for a few years. Nothing to do with pools. I could transfer those over and complete them.

Takes awhile to get a second site going, but one can be an earner to help offset the slow times.  I have about 156,000 views on mine right now, but have yet to come up with a few "killer" articles like the ones on my niche site.

That sounds like a good start. Hopefully I can come up with a few "killer" hubs once I get that going. Question, do I use the same Adsense ID?

Yes, use the same one.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

You can only have one Adsense account, so you'd use the same for both sites.

I'm gathering I need to use a different email address?

Yes.

2. lobobrandon profile image89
                    lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes as TT2 already said earlier, you use the same Adsense account because every person is allowed just one Adsense account in their life, if banned, they cannot get another.

But, as you know you will have to separately make a payout on the other HP account through the HP Ads program. All you need is an email account to create the new HP account, same paypal account unless you want to have a different one.

Finally, you are technically not allowed to post on the forums from more than one account, so you continue using this or use the other one for the forums.

2. Natalie Frank profile image91
        Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If I understand you properly you have two HP accounts one for pool stuff and one for other stuff (it's great to know a man who can sew on a button big_smile) I think that for you it definitely works though I suspect you make payout on both accounts each month?  Or do you focus on the pool site more during pool season and the other one off season?  I'd love to be able to seperate out my psych stuff from my general other stuff but barely make payout each month as it is (though with the disaster with my highest traffic article being gutted by hubpro editing and losing the snippet, dropping from the zero position to 4 and views dropping 65% so far and continuing to fall that could change by next month).

So no snow shoe, dog sled, skiing side biz?  Shoot.  I just love those huskies!  Mush!

No right now I only have one account. My OP was just an example of what I don't want on my current home page. My plan is to open another account to use for miscellaneous articles. (Although I could probably sew a button if I put some effort into it lol) Dog sledding, skiing and snow shoe repair would surely be a good niche during the winter months but since I live in a state that never sees snow, that would be challenging smile I'm surprised you don't see more traffic. Your articles are excellent!

1. Natalie Frank profile image91
            Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. Guess I haven't found the right combination yet.  Maybe next month. Or next year hmm

5. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

Nice work Rob, as you know, my views tanked at the beginning of last month, you have a longer season than me, even though we begin at the same time smile

I have 6 new tomato hubs in the works, but I decided to put them on hold while my website is getting a makeover in the content (almost 50k words by the end). I decided to work on that because, I am making a really good amount there (lower than the best on HP), but for really bad work. I'm hoping to complete that by December and then complete at least these 6 hubs two months before next season in order to get the rankings and the move to a nice site in time.

I do agree about the niche thing to some extent. For now, I interlink my tomato hubs so people do not have to go to my profile. Even if they do, it's not a huge number of articles, and anyone can garden - the information proves that I know what I'm talking about.

But, sometime in the future, I plan on writing in the physics niche, and then I will create a new profile.

Good luck with those new hubs and the two month delay is pretty cool some times isn't it smile

That's awesome Brandon. I definitely want to try filling the gap somehow during non seasonal time. I must know something other than just pools hmm but at least I now know it's possible to make a decent income on here. I remember the post awhile ago from Paul that said something about those making over $10k/month. I can see that being possible someday!

1. lobobrandon profile image89

Yup, I see that being possible too. Very possible. When I saw that, I was still in my 300 - 400 bracket and was like Woah. Then summer arrived big_smile

6. Jeremy Gill profile image93
    Jeremy Gillposted 5 years ago

Congrats, Rob!

If you're comfortable answering, would you mind informing me about what percentage of your total earnings stem from Amazon? You seem pretty talented at selling, so imagine it's 40% or more for you.

This is from July 1st to July 31st this year. Gives a general idea. First column HP, second is Amazon.

https://hubstatic.com/14201481.png

Nice.

It was a good season for sure! Now if I can add that 7th digit to the total next year wink

Haha onward and upward wink

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

My figures for July are quite similar to yours but I have many more hubs.  August was even better and I think September will be good, too.  Expecting a sizable drop all the way around within the next month or so, as with you, but figures like this sure balance things out!

Congrats! It's fun right? Best year ever by far. That's why I'm thinking of really jumping into this on a much more serious level since I now see the results and possibilities.

Actually, I've been amazed that this has happened.  I had a very slow start here and almost lost my entire site in the summer of 2014, but I just kept at it and now am reaping the rewards of my hard work.  I also think that, as you, I got lucky and fell into a niche site that is extremely popular.  Don't know how long this will last but as my husband says, "ride the horse until it just won't go any more"!

Yeah, you've gone through your hubs many times making changes as the need arose. It's definitely paying off smile And now we also see that HP even though they made us do at the time crazy things, was, in fact, the need of the hour.

2. Butterfly67 profile image89

Nice stats! I agree (even though I'm at about 1/5 of your level!) that I am getting more serious about writing good articles on here as it actually constitutes quite a large part of my earnings!

1/5th of that for 23 articles is not bad at all. I'm pretty sure you are also one of the people with the highest $/article here.

Oh wow that is cool to know! I am trying to bring all of my current articles up to standard as there are a few that are lagging but I've definitely been given some help and example ways to form articles by the editors :-)
                    Just need to come up with some more articles now...

I'm thinking the same thing. I was a little concerned awhile ago about the whole Maven thing but then again if I sit there and do nothing I definitely won't make more money. So as TT2 says, I'll beat the horse until it kicks me in the face (or something like that big_smile)

Yes I am still a little bit worried about the Maven thing but also thinking that the last thing HP want to do is shoot themselves in the foot.

7. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Wow!!

8. Susana S profile image93
    Susana Sposted 5 years ago

Nice job! I'm like you. I found that 10k a month post inspiring. I've started publishing more and hoping that they're a good investment down the line.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)