Why does HP un-feature articles that contain small images?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 5 years ago

I have an old article that contains many images. Some are small sized on purpose. They are head shots of people in our group of members.
    It was published 2 years ago and was featured. Recently, I noticed it became un-featured and the reason given was that it contains too small images.

This happened when HP decided to remove the half page format. I had photo on one side and companion text on the other. Now, they are inline.

It seems to me, this absolute rule of “one size fits all” on photos is just too restrictive. There are times when a smaller photo of high quality is desired or preferred.
    The automated QAP of HubPages needs some improvements. There are exceptions to every rule.

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes I use diagrams which don't have and don't need to have a high resolution (sometimes they do to make any text look less jagged, but that's another story).
      You could drop your low resolution images into a higher resolution white or coloured rectangle of the recommended dimensions. Then you'd have small photos, and the automated QAP wouldn't know the difference!

jackclee lmposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the suggestion. That will work to bypass QAP.
        The result would not look as nice. Why can’t HP fix what was working before?

2. Natalie Frank profile image92
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

I think it has much to do with the mobile platform.  The smaller images and half page format wasn't working well for the mobile frame layout and most of our traffic as I understand it is mobile.  HP makes changes to suit Google and help increase our traffic.  This was explained before they made the change and they warned us in advance so we could adjust our images as needed before they automatically switched over.

Add to what Eugene suggested, if you want a picture with side by side text use a program like canva and put the photo on one side of the rectangle while adding text to the other side.  I do this sometimes with my quotation articles.  For example, see my newest article Quotes from Celebrities With Bipolar Disorder or Depression in which I have some images done side by side with text over a background. 

This isn't an ideal solution as there is only so much text you can include and make it still legible for mobile but it might be something you can work with.  I have checked the article on mobile and the text on some is too small but the reader can enlarge it as needed on their device.

1. Titia profile image91
      Titiaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Just glanced at your hub. One advice: be very careful with colored text on a colored background. Some colors influence each other to the point that the text becomes unreadable.

2. jackclee lm profile image81

Thanks, that is a better solution. I will try it in a future article. It is too hard to go back and fix an old article that is already stale...

1. Natalie Frank profile image92
        Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Updating articles is part of the game.  It certainly won't help you and might possibly do some harm for you to leave articles that aren't in good shape on your account.  Ideally writing then regularly updating evergreen articles is the way to go.  You might want to consider deleting articles that talk about a one time event or something that is old news if they can't be updated.

3. Natalie Frank profile image92

I just looked at your article on Fencing.  Just to give you an example of what I'm talking about you could do something like this:

https://hubstatic.com/14260622_f1024.jpg

You can even have the background white which might suit your needs better as it would appear like this:

https://hubstatic.com/14260644_f1024.jpg

Obviously, you could play around with the overall size, different backgrounds and the image to text ratio. This won't be penalized by the HP bots.  Hope this helps.

Thanks. This one is fine. The one I was complaining about is this one on Image Technologies...

“hubpages.com/business/Image-Technologies-Group-Members”

It is currently showing as unfeatured.

4. Natalie Frank profile image92

I was just giving you an example of how you could have text next to a photo if you wanted.  I just chose the first article I saw with photos of people.

5. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

When you look at the article do you think it looks professional? The images are all over the place in terms of image dimensions, you throw in random white spaces all around the article, some sections are only names with links, can you not write something and then link for more info? Even if the images are a problem, there are many other reasons that could potentially prevent this hub from being featured.

This article was created and formatted using the split screen feature, which is no longer supported by HubPages. That is why it looks the way it does. I originally wanted to place image next to text side by side.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So you do agree that it doesn't look perfect. That's the reason it is not featured anymore. Unfortunately, you need to update your hubs and change with the evolution of things on the platform.

6. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Natalie,  How did you create the side text with photo?

1. Natalie Frank profile image92
      Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

With Canva.  It's really an easy program to use.  I'm a computer idiot so if I can do it anyone can!  Let me know if you need any help.

7. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

I played with Canva. Pretty simple compared to Gimp smile

8. Natalie Frank profile image92

Never tried Gimp.  Canva is really all I need.

9. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

Paint Shop Pro is quite good also and supports layers and vector drawing. A shareware version is available.

10. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

Paint.net is amazing. It's a software on your computer even though it sounds like an online thing. It's free and easy to use too. It does not support vector drawing, but supports layers and has pretty good plugins etc. for nearly everything. Pretty simple to make images the right size for HP with a transparent background and stuff like that.

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I try to draw all my diagrams as vectors. It's pretty much essential if anything needs to be scaled, skewed, rotated, colours need to be changed, bits added or removed, thickness of lines altered, etc. etc. It'd be a nightmare doing this in a raster only package. Then I make sure to keep the vector file as well as saving a JPG version for HubPages articles.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I use Vectors for my research stuff. I use Gimp when I need to specifically work with vector graphics. For all other purposes I find paint.net a lot easier to work with.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)