Unpublished articles?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. jwashington profile image61
    jwashingtonposted 5 years ago

Evening.

I'm new; so, I'm not aware if I made any overlook the rules on forum posting. With the article approval, is there a way to find what mistakes and rules that relate to unpublished articles so I know in what area I can improve and edit?

The links are very helpful; but, they have too much information to know which applies to my article and which does not.

Thank you.

1. sirama profile image92
      siramaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Welcome jwashington.

You post Link for your page so that people can suggest the improvement opportunities.
      Go ahead and read how people got the answer for similar questions in the same community: https://hubpages.com/forum/3

For Example: I'd like feedback on my article: 101 Dalmatians:New York
      Link: https://hubpages.com/community/forum/34 … nsnew-york

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi, and welcome to HP.  I took a brief look at your article and thought you could use a few tips.

First, you need a more interesting title.  Looking at it makes me feel like I don't exactly know what you are writing about.

Second, your information is too scattered.  It needs to be more focused and organized.

I like your ideas and think your structure and grammar are good, but remember that you are writing for an audience to which you are trying to supply information.  To do this, your points need to be very clear.

Here are some tips that can help you:

Write at least 1000 words
      Create a beginning, middle and end
      Use and credit photos that relate to your topic
      Create more capsules and title each one in a way that provides a "story" for the reader (because many people browse instead of read).
      Don't talk about yourself, talk about your topic.
      Eliminate any white spaces.
      Add a video or a two and also a poll.

It's a lot of work to produce a searchable and successful article, so take your time and do it correctly.  Keep asking for help, but also take the time to read the info in the learning center, especially the section about how to create a stellar hub. 

HP is strict about the work it allows to be published, but they have good reasons for their attitudes.

Keep working on this article until you get it published and also read some articles from successful writers here to see how they do their formatting.

It will take time, but you'll get it.  Good luck!

2. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

Hi there, welcome to HubPages smile

I found this link: https://hubpages.com/business/valuestoaction

There are some issues with your article. Firstly, it's missing an introduction. Your readers need to know in a few sentences what the article is about. It's your hook to grab your reader and keep their attention.

There are some formatting problems. Use more than one text capsule, this will give you the chance to insert a relevant, legal-to-use image. It will also help you by providing the opportunity for subtitles.

I don't understand this sentence: "I decided to put together a colleague and short essays of what I value."

What's 'colleague' in this context? A colleague is someone you work with. An essay is a stand alone piece of writing so you can't refer to paragraphs within the article as essays. Read through the text aloud, it might help you to pick up awkward phrasing.

Have you found the Learning Center yet? Click on Help at the top right of any page to navigate there.

Good luck.

3. jwashington profile image61

Thank you. Im rewriting the full article. I did it on my personal website so never got around to making it more crisp.

The formating. I did change that. I just broke up the text since it was so long into capsules. I don't know if there is another major function to it on addition to images?

I'm working my way through the help info. I read the criteria and points page. I caught a few other things about what I need to edit. 

When articles aren't published do we resend it after edit until it's approved?

That's my biggest question.

Thanks again.

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Ah... you can't publish it here if you have already published elsewhere. If you are doing a complete re-write, that should be fine.

Yes, you just edit and then click Done Editing to submit again.

4. Erudite Scholar profile image60
    Erudite Scholarposted 5 years ago

Hi jwashington,
    Welcome to the Hubpages Community. The community is kind, helpful and caring.
    Unpublished articles have to meet the Quality Assessment Program of HubPages. If the article is considered a stellar article.It will be published and or Featured. The difference between Featured and Published articles is that the former can be found on search engine while the latter can not be found on search engines - they are visible only within Hubpages.
    Strive to use the various capsules provided to create your article. The most critical thing on HubPages is to publish high quality content constantly.

jwashingtonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I'm redoing the article. I found out about the capsules after I sent it for review.

5. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 5 years ago

I'm not so sure if that article belongs in the "Employment and Jobs" category. It seems more philosophical/sociological to me.

People write on HubPages for a variety of reasons. Generally speaking, the articles that get the most views (and earnings) tend to be very practical in nature (how to replace the filter on a washing-machine, what gifts to buy for a 13 year old girl, etc.). Politics, religion, poetry, personal philosophy tend to get much lower amounts of attention online.

That may not bother you, but I thought it worth mentioning. Most readers find stuff through Googling for specific information.

Your writing is good enough to be published, in my opinion, but the piece could be longer, and the layout could be more "engaging" as others have noted (pictures? video? punchy headlines? etc.)

Even if you succeed in all that and get it published, you may still find that you get at best a trickle of views. I wrote quite a few opinion pieces early on and it was fairly demoralizing after a while. That material works better in a personal blog, in my experience.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Thank you. Is this the values one?

I'm rewriting the Let's Talk. The one I sent was an original before I fixed some of the formatting issues. I still have to work through it. I'm sure both can benefit from your advice regardless.

The Values one is the only one we can see. I don't see any other one on your Activity tab. Neither are featured yet.

Just keep refining it... and spend some time reading articles on the network sites (you can get to them by clicking on 'Hubpages' at the top of the page and then scroll down the right hand side. Look for sites that your work might fit into. They are (hopefully) the best articles in their category. Look at the way they are formatted, how the images fit into the pages, etc.

The more you research, the less you will be shooting into the dark. Put the work in researching the site and you will be able to write articles that will automatically pass QAP.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
        PaulGoodman67posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the Values one. I found it using Ragged's link, as it wasn't featured at the time.

In the early days of HubPages, it was a free-for-all, and pretty much anything was featured. Over the years, it's gradually got stricter and stricter.

The first hurdle is getting published on the HubPages site, the second one is getting featured on one of their niche sites.

In general, HubPages are helpful with giving examples. Look at what is featured on the first page of the niche sites, such as soapboxie.com, or look at what HP founder, Paul Edmondson publishes for hubs. Do NOT copy the content, or even the subject matter (that's a definite no-no!), but look at things like the style, layout, and approach and try to emulate using your own, unique material and you will go far!

The more you learn, the more you realize how many elements there are to get right. The title is important if you want views and most readers will decide if they want to read your article within seconds of first viewing it!

2. GA Anderson profile image88
      GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

For what it is worth Paul, I agree. I discontinued opinion writing for the reasons you mentioned, plus, they are seldom evergreen, which can really make the writer look silly, (and be a worthless read), when  after-the-fact contrary information  surfaces. ;-)

GA

6. jwashington profile image61

I do have one other question. When uploading images, when we cite them do we put the link to the original site (or author if written) in the captions or link the image to the original site it came from?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

It depends.  If you are posting your own images, you cite yourself.  If you are posting someone else's images, you must get permission from them to do so and ask them how they wish their images to be cited.  If you are posting from wikimedia commons or Flicker, they will tell you how to cite or even if you can use certain photos..  If you are using public domain photos such as Morguefile or Pixabay, you generally only have to cite them.  Unsplash tells you how they want their photos cited.  For these reasons you might want to keep it simple and just use Morguefile and Pixabay and edit as needed using a photo editing program.  There are several free ones, but the best I have found is PicMonkey...it used to be free but now charges just under $50 per year.  I pay it, though, because it is very user friendly and saves me a great deal of time.  The main thing is that when you post, make sure the photo is relevant to your article, has a minimum of 1000 pixels in either dimension, is extremely clear, does not have borders and is properly cited.Take a look at a few of my hubs to see how I cite mine so you can see how I do it.  Also, you may want to have one Made for Pinterest photo as your first image which you will post on Pinterest.  To do this, you put appropriate text on the photo.  Have fun!

2. theraggededge profile image96

You can't take images from websites without ascertaining the license. If you publish without permission, you could end up having to pay a large bill.

More info here (and it's important you read it): https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … -image-use

7. jwashington profile image61

Thank you guys.

I already started working on a research article (if thats the term) so there is a lot of citations. There was something I read in the help/images page about iconography. I think I spelled that wrong. I used powerpoint to create slide pictures. They are information in a box I saved as a jpg. File.

Can I use this as an image? Thank you for listing the other sites .I will take a look.

One thing that is very important is that HP requires all of your work to be original.  Also, if you have many links, you won't pass QAP.  I would be very careful about quoting or using any research because it would be very easy to create a hub that is mostly research and very little of your own thoughts or experiences.  A link or two that shows where you got some info is fine, but nothing more.

Awhile back I wrote an article about issues the elderly had and stated some facts about the dangers of falling ...in my own words...then I highlighted the words dangers of falling and linked them, in text, t an article that had given me the info I discussed.  It gets to be a real balancing act..

Hm. Good advice. Is there a way information from personal experience can be miscued as facts to be cited?

Not if you take ownership of that information.  For example...("there was a time when I>>>>>>>>>>>>>>but now, due to these things that happened, I have learned>>>>>>>>>>>).

8. jwashington profile image61

Okay. I completed an article (different topic). However, would it be best to publish it and correct whats been overlooked? Since it's hard to not overlook unintentional errors until spotted.

No. Do your best to clean up the grammar and typos before you publish. Use the free Grammarly and Hemingway apps, and read it out loud. It is much better to get it featured first time than have to spend time trying to pass QAP.

Edit: I had a look at your epilepsy article. It will probably be picked up by the QAP system. It's too short - less than 400 words - and also too close to other articles on the same topic so could be flagged as copied content. A topic like this demands at least 1,000 words and needs to be original. There's no point reproducing similar material to that already available.

What's 'Inappropriate Viscosity'? Viscosity refers to the thickness or pouring ability of a liquid.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)