Make a new folder for photo's

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Msmillar profile image89
    Msmillarposted 5 years ago

Okay, I know, retard alert! I've been working on Hubpages for, oh my, a long time alright (5 maybe 6 years).  I've created folders for my photo's in the past.  I cannot, for the life of me. figure out how I did it?!  My photo's are getting out of hand. I need to make more folders for them, but I cannot remember how???

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

HP collects them for you under "photos" which you'll see at the top of your stats page.  However, I prefer to keep mine separate from HP but on my desktop.  As I create images, I use "save as" and put them on my desktop once I finish writing my hub.  I then categorize them by provider and within the provider folder I categorize them by type.  For example..;Pixabay>Dogs or Pixabay>Food.  Since they already are edited, if I want to use them again I simply use the HP tool to choose the ones I want.  Saves a ton of time.

2. Msmillar profile image89

So, how do I create a new folder on Hubpages?

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I never use the photo browsing on HubPages, but just checked it out now. If you click on "choose an album" on a photo, you can enter a name for the album that photo is assigned to. Then you can filter photos by selecting an album (just above where photos are displayed). If you mean making new folders on Windows on a desktop, just right click on a drive ir folder and it gives you the option to create a new folder.

What I like about the photos section is that you can use them for articles as you write.  When you do, the creditation comes up with them, which saves a lot of time.  Also, you can left click "save image as" on any of them, save to your desktop and then use an editing program to add text or make changes to the copy.

3. Natalie Frank profile image91
    Natalie Frankposted 5 years ago

That's good to know.  I don't reuse photos for HP articles but it would still be nice to organize them!  I do what Timetraveler2 does and save them on my computer where I organize them.  Thanks for explaining this.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

Nice one, eugbug.

5. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

Sorry for the atrocious grammar and typos, but it was late last night when I replied smile

6. EricFarmer8x profile image94
    EricFarmer8xposted 5 years ago

I organize my pictures based on topic and on hub. I figure I might reuse a picture eventually so it helps to do this.

7. Msmillar profile image89

Thanks for your assistance eugbug, but it looks like I have failed to get my question across.
    1. Every photo we all upload for our hubs, hubpages automatically keeps a copy.
    2. This photo cache can become monstrous after you've written more than one hundred articles like I have.
    3. When I open my photo's tab, there are so many it takes far too much time to scroll through them all. So I wanted to put them in folders,
    4. I clicked ON ONE of THE PHOTOS and two options appeared - I believe it was Delete photo and the other was Save To A Folder. But the folder I want to save to is not offered because I need to create it,
    How do I create another folder??
    Is that clearer? Or still muddy?

All I see is "choose an album" with some buttons above it, but not "save to a folder".
      Are you selecting the "photos" option from "my account"?
      This is what I see when I click on a photo. Maybe the prompt to save is produced by your browser? If that's the case, click on save and you should be able to create a new folder from whatever dialog that appears.
      https://hubstatic.com/14367743.jpg

Msmillarposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is the only way I could "create" a folder is choosing a folder I had created years ago and change the name on it.  But that is totally pointless.  Now I don't have the folder that had automotive because I changed it to computer.  Apparently we used to be able to create folders but not anymore.

8. theraggededge profile image95
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

I see what you mean. I only have one other folder available to me and it's 'Arts and Crafts'. It must have been set up years ago. I can't see any way of making another folder.

Like other people here, I tend to keep photos on my computer/Dropbox. But I clean them out all the time. I only keep the ones I have taken myself. I've never had the need to scroll through all those pics on HP as I keep duplicates to a minimum.

When looking for new photos, I always use Pixabay, UnSplash or other sources of legal photos.

9. EricFarmer8x profile image94
    EricFarmer8xposted 5 years ago

Sorry for the late reply.

You organize pictures by just typing in the name of the new folder you want. HubPages will then automatically make it for you. After refreshing the page you can then move other pictures into this folder.

Sometimes I had to rename a picture a few times because after refreshing the page it was unnamed again? If for reason a name doesn't stick just try it again.

Here is an example picture for reference. Open the picture in a new web browser tab to see it better.

https://hubstatic.com/14377011_f1024.jpg

10. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 5 years ago

They're called albums now it seems.

11. Titia profile image93
    Titiaposted 5 years ago

I keep my photos on my pc in a map 'original' with sub maps for different categories. Then I have a map 'Hubpages' and sub maps for every topic with sub/sub maps for every hub I write. Whenever I need a photo for a hub I make a copy of the original and put it in that particular hub map. I can crop it, work on it, put text on it without messing up my original photos.

My HP photos were all over the place like yours. If you open your photos on HP you see under each photo 'choose an album' and when you click on it you can either choose an existing album or you can create a new one.

So when I have to upload a photo I upload it in either a new album or in an existing album. That way I know exactly which photos I've used for which hub and I can easily find them when I want to use a photo again. Even when I use a wikipedia photo I save it first on my pc in the hub's map.

It took quite some time to organize this but it was worthwile the time. You don't have to do them all at once but scroll through your photos in spare moments.

Last year I was so glad I had done this, because one of my external harddiscs on which I had all my HP hub photos crashed and I lost all of them. (the only external harddisc I forgot to make a copy of). Now I'm busy to retrieve each photo from my HP photo albums. I only have to open an album and all photos I used in that hub are there.

Edit: when you click on a photo it shows in which hub it is used or it says it's not used in any hub and when not used you can decide to either delete it or let it sit there.

There is no "make a new album" option anymore.  I can add to the albums I made years ago, but cannot create a new one.  Maybe this is something for the Hub Team to know about. It doesn't seem right that a new folder can't be created when I could before, albeit years before, but still.

If you click on "choose an album" and type in some text in the box that appears, it creates a new album.

I know right, but my photo page offers the "choose an album" option, with previous folders listed.   No box appears, only three of my old folder names do.  I'm beginning to wonder if I've maxed out my photo storage.  To be honest, it takes a solid 5 minutes for me to scroll through all of the photo's that hubpages has saved on my account.  I'll have to ask.

I go through the photos regularly to eliminate duplicates, of which there are always many as well as photos that for one reason or another I know I'll never use again. Have never had any problems.

2. Titia profile image93
        Titiaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What eugbug says.

12. Msmillar profile image89

You know it! I've been doing a lot of the Right click "save image as" a LOT lately.  Very convenient.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)