Editing an article vs starting over

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Jessica Beasley profile image89
    Jessica Beasleyposted 4 years ago

Hi fellow hubbers! I’m wanting to see what you all do in this case. I’m wanting to improve some of my articles that I have already written. Do you find that it helps their score and traffic when you do edit them? Does it really help or do you think it’s just best sometimes to start over completely with an article? I’ve had a great experience so far, but I’ still very new to this (about 6 months.) I want to be better smile

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

For me it all depends on the URL if the URL is good, it's better to update instead of writing a new hub.

Jessica Beasleyposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ah good advice! That makes sense because why re-do an article that is getting good traffic.

2. OldRoses profile image96
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I do both.  If a hub is "not bad", I just edit the content.  Add or change a few paragraphs, change some photos, etc.  If I look at an old hub and hate it, I will completely re-write it offline,find new photos, then go into edit mode, delete the existing capsules and start fresh. Either way, traffic always rises.

It's good to know that things can get better traffic be doing a little extra work on what we already have! smile

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If the aim is to get all articles to the niche sites - and if you want to earn some money then to the niche sites ye must go - then edit, edit again until they're ready to go.

I do quite a bit of editing and updating, adding bits here and there, losing dead weight, moving on again. Depends how much time you want to invest but editing is a good habit to get into.

4. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The dozen or so articles I updated went nowhere fast. At this point, they don't get traffic, I delete.

That said, a lot of those topics were to do with politics, religion, environmentalism, economics, capitalism, etc. Those topics just don't do well.

I've personally never updated anything that did well as a result.

2. theraggededge profile image96
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

Edit. Every time smile

Absolutely! I've been trying to get better at going back into old articles and editing and adding more content so that they are more complete and richer. Then there is always that dreaded error you find that you can't believe slipped by! Lol!

3. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 4 years ago

I have updated almost all my hubs since they were first published. Every time I re-read by own content, I find some improvement that I can make.

In addition, older hubs have the advantage of building up a useful stats report where I see what search strings people have been typing into Google to get to my hub. That information has great value because it gives me ideas for making beneficial changes to titles and/or content.

Any time I make these improvements, it helps eventually increase the traffic. You just need to be patient for Google to react to the changes.

I learned my lesson about deleting bad hubs: Don’t do it. You lose the views in your stats. It took me much longer to finally get the “1 million views” accolade because I deleted many of my initial hubs that I wrote when I first began writing on HubPages.

Time spent updating top-performing hubs is worth the effort. It’s much harder to pull low-performing hubs out of the dumps. They usually need much more tender loving care and sometimes require a major rewrite, which I’ve done. It’s better than deleting.

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Well, yes. That goes without saying. All the hubs that I'm talking about had somewhere between 30 and 70 view over 2 or 3 years. They were deader than a dodo, and there were no search strings.

One should certainly update sites articles with good potential, but spending time updating articles just because hubpages says one has to do a blank update of all one's articles?

I don't think so.

1. OldRoses profile image96

I have to respectfully disagree.  Earlier this year, HP notified me that they were updating all of the hubs on Dengarden to increase traffic.  Because I have complained in the past about the way my hubs have been edited by their well-meaning but horticulturally ignorant editors, they gave me the option of updating all of my Dengarden hubs myself.  It happened at the worst time of year for me when I am busy prepping for plants sales and prepping gardens for planting, but I squeezed it in and updated over 100 hubs.  The increase in traffic was pretty spectacular.  Each month since I finished the update, I have exceeded last year's earnings as well as the targets that I have set for myself.  I have also continued to edit hubs every two weeks that are still on HP so that they can be moved to Dengarden.  Moribund hubs had little or no traffic for years suddenly started getting significant traffic since the update and move to Dengarden.

Um. Yes. You are writing about a particular topic - which is what I said. If you were writing about some other topic that was not highly desirable, no matter how much they were updated, they wouldn't rank.

Gardening is an extremely competitive topic.  Kind of on a par with  politics, religion, environmentalism, economics, capitalism, etc.  My traffic per hub is actually quite low.  I have accepted that I will never have thousands of views on any one hub.  Instead I depend on volume.  More hubs = more views.  By updating my hubs so that they all have a 2019 date on them, I merely moved them up a bit in Google rank which resulted in more traffic.

You should really try looking into what others are saying about a topic and add in angles you are not talking about. My hubs on dengarden (2 of them) which are about plants too get 2k views a day more or less during the 3 peak summer months. So don't take it for granted that it's not possible in the niche.

You're right but I have too many horticultural topics that I want to write about to really concentrate on one plant as you do with tomatoes.  So many topics, so little time.

True.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

For me, it's not worth it. I took off 14 hubs yesterday - just under 2000 views. I transferred most of them to Quora where people read that type of thing and deleted the rest. My hubscore went up as a result.

I honestly don't see any point in trying to fix up hubs that aren't working. The half dozen or so that I repeatedly tried fixing got nowhere fast.

2. lobobrandon profile image87

Update to make your piece of content the best on the internet for that topic. That's all there is to it.

I have done so in the past. It hasn't helped. I did geology courses iny science degree, Brandon. I know what I am talking about when I speak about climate change. There are topics on HP that simply do not do well. Some of these topics I have written about are 3500 words long.

And I don't think anyone can accuse me of writing badly.

I have always been data intense.

Yesterday I transferred a lot of stuff to my Quora blog.

There are, maybe, three or four articles on HP where the topic may work if updated. I will work on those, but it is simply easier to write new articles.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Oh, come off it. Even a genius can't make something that doesn't work work.

If you go back and see what this reply was to, you will see what I am saying. You say HP asks you to update stuff. They are only asking you to update stuff to make it the best piece of content on the topic. They don't just say update for the sake of hitting the update button. The advice is not directed at you, I have not read even a single of your hubs to give you advice on your hubs.

Okay. Point taken. Sorry. smile I've just transferred an article from another site and updated it. Spent three hours updating it. I suppose that's better than the five hours I spend normally writing a hub. smile

Transferred from somewhere onto HP or the other way around?

2. Jessica Beasley profile image89

Thank you so much Glen Stock!! Very good information. It makes so much sense that deleting articles that can simply be edited and made better overtime have value. Thank you so much!

4. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 years ago

I transferred from another content site to here. It used to be on hubpages about 8 years ago (I wrote under another name) So I just transferred it back. I have about 2000 articles lying around. I'm just beginning to go through them now to see what I can use. But things date.

2000 wow.

5. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 years ago

Well, I've been writing articles for a lifetime. I started writing on the web in 1999 (that's when I first got hired to write on the web.) My first job on the web was in early 1999 in London as a moderator for some sites.

I see. Interesting smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)