Hub editor just changed my entire piece. Traffic dropped by 2/3

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 4 years ago

I wondered my the traffic on one piece had dropped by 2/3.

It appears a hub editor had overstepped the mark. She changed the picture to a horrible one, changed the advice I gave, plus used language like 'sexy' and 'turn on.'

Since when do I use language like that?

And why was it changed?

Any ideas?

I'm just fixing it up, but, of course, as the original isn't there, I now cannot compare it and revert  it.

Isn't that overstepping the mark somewhat.

Was it sabotage?

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I had a couple of hubs completely re-written by well-meaning editors.  I was puzzled by their changes.  HP emphasizes that they want in depth magazine style articles, but what the editors who worked on my hubs produced were basically amateur gardening blog entries.  I am a horticulture professional who teaches gardening so I woud never write anything even close to what they came up with.  I was also horrified when they switched out my carefully chosen photos for photos of completely different plants which happened to have similar names.

After those experiences, I was very grateful that I write all of my hubs in Word and store my Word documents in my OneDrive (Microsoft cloud drive) so it was easy to restore my hubs to their original versions.

I would also suggest that you take a few minutes and contact the team about what happened.  Explain to them why the changes were inappropriate.  In my case, I explained that I am a horticultural professional, not an amateur gardener, and that I would prefer that only editors who have gardening experience edit my hubs.  Apparently there are none because I haven't had a problem since!

TessSchlesingerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wow. That is something!

I did report it to Hubpages. Never received any response. However, I rewrote and updated the piece, and apart from writing makeup as make up (my error), they pretty much let it through.

I am glad there are editors to pick up things like that. Just get peeved when someone changes something for no good reason. And it affects my figures.

I do keep copies of everything - on an external harddrive. Just a schlep to get it out. I suppose I've never really looked at saving stuff online, because then I have to be online to get the copies. I'm rethinking that.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you click the green pencil icon, you can view the changes with highlighting, you also have the option to view your original article without changes.

In this particular care, there weren't any green lines. Now there are. )

3. profile image0
      NFHavockposted 4 years agoin reply to this

GDPR Deleted

Yes, of  course, Hubpages edits your work. I'm very happy (usually) when they edit my work. All writers have their work edited. smile

Just now and then someone changes things, and changing something is not editing. smile - LIke putting a completely new photo in.

4. Ladymermaid profile image85
      Ladymermaidposted 4 years ago

If you type your url into https://archive.org/web/ aka the wayback machine your article will likely turn up in its old version. Virtually everything is saved there and it has been a life saver for me many times. Re sabotage - not likely but definitely ill judgement. My daughter had one reworked that they placed a picture of a big PJ'ed bum on which she promptly removed and reverted back to the original picture she previously had there.

5. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Okay. Thank you. I actually just rewrote it and updated it simultaneously. I was wondering why there was such a steep drop in my traffic.

Yup, I can go with that. "Re sabotage - not likely but definitely ill judgement."

From long experience, if the top picture isn't absolutely stunning, your articles doesn't get  clicked on.

6. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Actually, I've just checked. It isn't there. Also from experience. It doesn't save everything on the web.

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Got to save all your articles one way or another. I write in Scrivener, then copy and paste into the hub. Every now and then I work through all my articles and save the individual webpages as well. So I have two versions; a before publication (just text) and after publication (complete with images).

What an excellent idea. I do have a Word copy, but it means I have to get out my external hardrive. How does scrivener work?

It's a program specifically aimed at writers.There's a bit of a learning curve to begin with, but I've been using it for years. I gather all my articles into one project.

It's at https://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener/overview and there's a free trial.

I find it so easy because I can access research right on the page, if I need to.

However, if you want something free, then YWriter is good. http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter6.html

Don't be put off by the fact they keep mentioning novel writing - one chapter = one article smile

All my storage is in DropBox, but you could use GoogleDrive and/or OneDrive - much easier than lugging out an external hard drive.

Thank you so very, very much. smile That is actually a superb idea. I don't know how much it costs, but at the moment, pennies are precious.

I have a good feeling about the future, though.

Will do the free trial and then use one of the others. smile

You are welcome. I think Scrivener is about USD$48 for a lifetime licence plus you should get a free upgrade to the latest Windows version when they release it. If you have a Mac, then the new release is already out.

I think YWriter would serve you just as well smile

Thank you. smile Much appreciated. smile

2. profile image0
                promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you don't want to spend the money, just use Google Docs. It's free and saves everything forever.

Don't they have a limit on how much space one can use?

1. profile image0
                    promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's 15GB. I have been using the product from the beginning and haven't even come close to the limit.

Let me try that and see. Thanks. smile

7. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

You can get a free trial:

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/

There's a learning curve, as with all these things.

You could also use Ywriter, which is free and has similar functionality. It describes itself as novel writing software, but think chapter = article.

For backup and storage I use DropBox, but you could use OneDrive and/or Google Drive and consign the hard drive to a cupboard smile

8. bhattuc profile image84
      bhattucposted 4 years ago

It is really strange to note that so much editing is done on your content. Normally editors will ask you to do that. In this case it did not happen so. I am surprised.

Oh, this doesn't happen often. It's happened to me twice - where something was not edited so much as rewritten, and both times the artwork was changed. The resultant change of the artwork killed the traffic.

I am convinced that the artwork is the thing that draws people to your piece. So when people replace an attractive eye catching first picture with something that no one is interested in, it kills traffic.

Mostly, my stuff is edited. A couple of times, I've been asked to change it. And a couple of times I've been told my piece is not acceptable. Never understood why.

9. Robin profile image87
      Robinposted 4 years ago

Hi Tessa. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving! Which article are you referring to, and I’ll take a look. I see one edit on your green eyes article, but that was a type of edit that we call an impact edit, which only takes a few minutes.

Robin, it's sorted. I fixed it, and while I was fixing it, I happened to update it (I was planning to anyway). The editor then came back and corrected some things (good edits), so it was fine, in the end. Not to worry. All sorted.

What the editor did was change the photo right at the top, and from long experience, if people don't like the picture right at the top, then they don't click on the link. So I put back the picture that worked, updated it by labeling it with some info, and hopefully, it will improve my traffic even more. smile

10. Robin profile image87
      Robinposted 4 years ago

Okay! Thanks for letting me know. smile

11. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Robin, sorry. I have just received another email saying that my article is 'slotted for editing, that is in the queue, and that it takes a long time.'

I am very confused.

This has been one of my top performing articles, and it was only edited last week after I had improved it.

I don't understand.

https://bellatory.com/makeup/how-to-mak … more-green

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)