Should Sonic the Hedgehog be openly gay in the movie sequel?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 4 years ago

To be honest, I thought it was pretty OBVIOUS that Sonic was straight given the fact that on "Sonic Sat AM", he had a girlfriend on that TV show named Sally Acorn, whom he kissed several times in that series, and she even kissed him as well.   It's not like the show ever went out of their way to hide that they were couple either, as it was kind of obvious.  Yet I guess this author never saw the cartoon show, as a young lady for a site called "The Gamer" says that Sonic has never shown to be interested in women, which is factually not true, as i just stated.  And she goes on to say that Sonic should hook up with Tails in the game....who according to a quick google search says is supposed to be an 8 year old child in the sonic universe....um...yeah....

Look, I have no problems with LBGT representation, and I even agree with the author that there should be more representation for that community in future films, but I don't agree with her at all that it should be Sonic for any of the reasons she said.  However, what are your thoughts?  Should Sonic become openly homosexual in the next Sonic movie geared towards kids and families?  Or do you think they shouldn't go that route in "Sonic the Hedgehog 2?"  Please discuss.  Also here's a link to the original article in question

https://www.thegamer.com/sonic-the-hedg … explained/

1. Live to Learn profile image61
      Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Maybe Sonic's girlfriend was really a drag queen.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 4 years agoin reply to this

then what's her excuse for wanting sonic, who's supposed to the equivalent of a 15 to 16 year old kid, to hookup with tails, who's supposed to be the equivalent of an 8 year old?  lol

2. Kyler J Falk profile image91
    Kyler J Falkposted 4 years ago

I could care less what they do to the sexuality of a fictional being, I hate sonic and any platformer games born of the character, and the movies are something I have no desire to watch. However, this is a topic that applies not only to Sonic but the entertainment industry and media as a whole.

I'll keep it concise: If they are doing this to increase representation then I'm all for it, whatever, who cares. I highly doubt that would be the main goal, however, because it would be more likely to create a buzz for the movie through controversy and to subjugate individuals the writers and producers view as "regressive."

Changing lore to fit a political narrative often dulls the final product and does more damage than it creates constructive conversation, though. Best recent examples I can think of: Mass Effect Andromeda and The Witcher Netflix series.

Better to just exercise creativity with a multicultural team of the desired background to create entirely new characters and lore, and not shoehorn a political agenda into children's media. Kids don't even care to begin with, and those that do are often as toxic as the ones who scream loudest and cry wolf most frequently.

1. profile image0

Well it doesn't help when film studios call you names if you don't see their movies or if you say you simply didn't like it.   I.e. Warner Bros calling men sexist for birds of prey flopping even though statistics show that most of the people who saw the movie were in fact MEN.     But yeah fans are toxic for pointing out that nonsense right?   

Don't get me wrong, I do agree with you that some fans take things too far.   Not disputing that but let's not pretend like the movie studios aren't also responsible for making them that way.  Seriously if I owned a restaurant filled with minorities, women, handicapped people and lbgt members and said anyone who doesn't dine at my place is a sexist, racist, misogynistic pig then would you be ok with that?   

Or what if I had my black chef spit in your food and you said it tasted horrible and my response to you is your a racist for not liking the food.   Would that be ok?    If you say no to any of my questions then you proven my point.  The point is you can't treat your audience like shit and expect them to not react.   It's like the old saying goes.  You treat people like animals then that's exactly how they'll behave.

1. Kyler J Falk profile image91
        Kyler J Falkposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Just for clarity here, I'm struggling to understand what I said that prompted these hypothetical situations you are presenting because we seem to be on the exact same page concerning this topic up until your response.

I'll respond to the best of my ability, though....

The Witcher Netflix series shoehorning minorities into roles that were first represented as and held by predominantly Caucasian individuals causing a disconnection between fans of the book and game, then the fans of the show calling the other fans racist for their valid concerns.

Mass Effect Andromeda caused a huge uproar when they began to hire feminist bloggers and "sjw" activists over skilled and qualified workers, which led to a dull narrative, a broken game, and poor response from their demographic that was originally very strong even after the third installment that was widely regarded as terrible. These fans who spoke out about it, the company called them sexist, racist, and all sorts of other unfavorable titles.

Let's not forget Star Wars as well, like I just have but then recalled. Shoehorning political agendas into a narrative and rewriting entire story arcs for said shoehorning, eliminating entire sections of the lore permanently, and then jumping the shark the entire time. Fans who speak out are racist, sexist, "incel neckbeards" and they even made Kylo Ren into what JJ Abrams labeled the representation of the fans who don't agree with the changes.

So once again, I'm struggling to see where we disagree at all, because the only way we differ is in our diction.

3. Kyler J Falk profile image91
    Kyler J Falkposted 4 years ago

I figured it out, you misunderstood my "toxic" comment. That was in regards to children being toxic, when they are brainwashed by toxic individuals who seek to call others disparaging names. Pointing out that most kids don't care, and the kids that do are usually as toxic as the adults who'd see political agendas forced on children.

1. profile image0

Well you do bring up a valid point.  I was just saying because you brought up toxic fans, and I was merely throwing my two cents on it.  I do apologize if I came off as hostile as that wasn't my intention, as it does seem like we agree mostly for the most part as far as I can tell.  I honestly don't think they'll make Sonic gay unless Sega allows it to happen because as far as I know, everything Paramount does to the character has to get approved by Sega.  Plus, Sega is a Japanese company, so I doubt they'd allow it to happen honestly, but we'll see.

4. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

Is that "gamer" article for real? It reads like something The Onion would have cooked up.

1. Kyler J Falk profile image91
      Kyler J Falkposted 4 years agoin reply to this

As real as anything posted on HubPages.... Take it with a grain, or box, of salt.

2. profile image0

Unless someone from Paramount or Sega say otherwise, I seriously doubt they'll make Sonic gay honestly, so I wouldn't take it seriously. I just think the author is ignorant and might be sick if you ask me.  lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)