Fantasy help: Phillip Rivers or Drew Brees

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)
  1. R.Edwards profile image62
    R.Edwardsposted 14 years ago

This week in my fantasy football matchup I have the choice in starting either Phillip Rivers (playing Denver on MNF) or Drew Brees (playing the Giants in NO). I'm absolutely stuck on this decision.

I figure both games will yield a lot of points. The Giants have a stellar defense that's not allowing much in the passing category but because Eli and the Giants offense are so efficient, Brees will HAVE to air it out and I don't have him going 3 games in a row without a single TD pass.

Rivers will face the Denver Broncos in what is sure to be a great matchup as Rivers leads the league in passing before the Charger's bye week. Both teams are facing formidable defenses who will be looking to stop these two quarterback's aerial assault.

What's your opinion? Who would you start?

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I go with Rivers.  If Tom Brady had been on target last week NE would have blown Denver away.  The Giants are an awesome road team.

R.Edwardsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea I figured that, I mean this Denver D HAS to get exposed at some point right?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Rivers lit them up last year.  Have they added anyone of significance?

3. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

That is a tough choice, but I would have to go with Brees, mostily because this is a divisional game in which case Rivers knows the Broncos better (and the Denver secondary knows Rivers) and the urgency for San Diego to win is greater...They just might be able to catch Denver napping a bit due to the euphoria of beating the Pats.

Of course Rivers can have a good statistical day and still lose the game.  I just think that Denver is bound to get a bit lackadaisical at the helm with their early successes.  Just look at the Jets who also have a first year head coach in Rex Ryan.  I look for the Chargers to find a way to score at least 21 points and 14 of those points will be credited to Rivers and his receiving corps.

Yea, I can't escape the probability that the Giants are gonna bring their road game experience to NO and record at least 2 ints against Brees. As is, I'll go with my gut and Rivers.

...btw dohn, are you not suggesting Brees for the fear he might scorch the Giant's Def? LOL.

4. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Not at all smile  I believe that the Giant front four is going to wreak havoc on Brees and bring the house.  Tuck, Umenyiora, Kiwanuka, and even Tollefson are subs for one anothe and keep each other fresh like crispy lettuce throughout the course of the game.  The Giants secondary has been anemic with the loss of Kenny Phillips and Aaron Ross but have rebounded nicely with the pressure the front four bring.  I think that Mike Sheridan learned a lot from Steve Spagnuolo before he defected to the Rams and will showcase his strategy on the overconfident/younger Saints team.

Keep in mind too that the G-Men are more than familiar with Saints Head Coach Sean Peyton as he used to be their Offensive Coordinator back in the Jim Fassel era so know his tendencies.

Jeremy Shockey, who used to be my FAVORITE player is gonna have some answering to do too, as the Giants know just how to get under his skin (he's a headcase/powder keg).

I hope I gave you enough reasons here on why you should go with your "gut." big_smile

5. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 14 years ago

I agree, it is a hard choice between your 2 QB choices.
    Saints @ home and great runnning game this year as well as very improved defense. Brees struggled against the NY jets, but newbie Henne was able to make throws count when needed against the Jets defense.
    Giants have had the "pansy-football" schedule thus far this year. Washington, Dallas, Tampa Bay, Kansas City and Oakland...all teams in awful offensive state. How good would their secondary really be if they faced good teams?

Phillip Rivers seems to be able to always get up for Denver. Bitter rivalry there. And it is in San Diego. L.T. "supposedly" healthy and ready to prove the media wrong about him this year, Gates having a great year, Vincent Jackson.....

My gut says Rivers, but...would hate to lead you to  use Rivers and Brees have another 6 TD game. lol

I know, and it cost me a matchup  when I didn't go with my gut in week 4's matchup against the Steelers when Rivers threw for 4 TDs. I played Brees thinking he was going to have a good game statisticaly and he earned me only 7 fantasy points.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean. I had a choice between Brees & Favre in week 3 & 4. Like you I went with Brees and gogt nothing fantasy wise from him, but Favre lit up the fantasy board in those weeks, especially week 4. I lost both of those fantasy games by a close margin. Would have won if I had inserted Favre those weeks.

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 14 years ago

I think I'd go with Rivers.  It seems unlikely that Brees will stay as cold as he's been, but I expect Rivers to throw at least two TDs and will be close to 300 yards.

The comment about the Giants being tough on the road is true.  Probably the best road team in football. 

You have two pretty good fantasy quarterbacks.

7. undagroundjoe profile image60
    undagroundjoeposted 14 years ago

I am in the exact same dilema this week. I have to choose between Brees and Rivers. I think that Rivers will put up better numbers this week vs Denver. Brees is going to be in for a battle this week vs the Saints. I forsee the Giants bringing allot of pressure, and coming with quite a few blitz packages. Rivers should put up better overall numbers this week.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)