Doggy Arthritis

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (9 posts)
  1. jdeschene profile image60
    jdescheneposted 16 years ago

What are some ways to ease a dog's arthritis?

1. profile image0
      Sushdawgposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I grew up living in a very cold area during the winter months, with a guaranteed few feet of snow November-February, so my dog's arthritis became horrible during these months in his last few years of life. Our vet actually told us to give him half of a children's aspirin each morning. It was amazing the effect it had on him. It was quite noticeable when we would forget because his movements were much slower and he was unable to run.  I'd suggest talking to your vet about this before giving your dog any aspirin though, simply because it depends on the size of the animal, etc. Best of luck though.

2. bspilner profile image60
    bspilnerposted 16 years ago

I have actually done some recent articles on this subject. Arthritis is becoming more common in dogs and cats and the symptoms are more and more severe. This might sound like a sales pitch but its not and it has to do with your dogs stuff. I wouldn't go as far getting a stroller or anything like that some people get a little carried away. Some recommendations could be to purchase an orthopedic dog bed for your pet, get the elevated feeders to take away strain away, and if the situation is bad enough get some pet stairs if they are allowed on the bed or couch to keep the impact low. I would also recommend taking your pet to the vet, they often times have certain foods and pills that can help ease the pain.

I have an article posted on <snip> about cats and osteoarthritis that might be a good side read (if you can't get to it you can just search my name brian spilner to see my article - they are weird about that). But as for mitigating the pain your dog is experiencing it is going to be to make your home as comfortable as possible. The purchases can get expensive but there are some great sites that offer good deals on what you might not have like <snip>.

Exercise is very important to keep them stretched and mobile (just like a human) just be sure to make it as low impact as possible. There is not a lot you can buy for this, just gradual increments to build strength back. But this is tough to watch your dog go through when it gets bad. But you can help ease their pain. Hope this helps!
    HubPages

3. Sofasurfer profile image60
    Sofasurferposted 16 years ago

Heat treatment is popular for human arthritis sufferers so I would imagine it would also be useful for dogs. You could consider using something like a SnuggleSafe microwave heat pad.

4. DonnaCSmith profile image82
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

My JRT is showing signs of artheritis. When the weather is cold he has trouble jumping onto the bed or sofa, and is a little gimpy. I gave him buffered aspirin whenever he seemed to be especially uncomfortable. I good book on dog and cat first aid is The First Aid Companion for Dogs and Cats by Amy D. Shojai.

5. tranndee profile image60
    tranndeeposted 15 years ago

I've seen heat work (hot water bottle only). I have also know making sure your dog moves every day, when the weather is warm. My neighbor tells me he sees his dog is much less stiff in the summer when Alex talks short walks.

6. profile image0
    RFoxposted 15 years ago

There's actually a product called Metacam, the generic drug is called Meloxicam. It is specifically for long term pain management in dogs. It is an aspirin derivative that is easier on the stomach for long term use. Unfortunately Metacam is really expensive. If your Vet can get the generic version it is much cheaper. It's a flavored liquid so really easy to give your pet also, unlike tablets.

You should also give Glucosamine. It will help over the long term to prevent anymore joint degradation.

Other than that, having them swim for exercise rather than run is great if you can manage it. Using proper pet heating pads and thick beds for sleeping. Just ensure there is a blanket between your dog and the heating pad so they don't get burns.

You can also give your dog massages and if you have any holistic vets in your area, you can also give them acupuncture for pain relief.

Hope this helps! big_smile

7. Pashun profile image60
    Pashunposted 15 years ago

I used to work for an animal physical therapy office.  As you may imagine, we got a lot of dogs that were suffering from arthritis.  There's a multitude of stretching exercises you preform on your dog that will help out with the pain and limberness.  Also full on swimming might be a little rough on the dog depending on how bad the arthritis is, and so is running.  The best is to find a place that has an underwater treadmill.  They raise the water up enough so the dog is partially buoyant but still able to walk.  This relieves a lot of tension and lets them exercise without a lot of pain.  See Spot Swim is a chain that does this but I can't say where else they have these.

8. CherylTheWriter profile image59
    CherylTheWriterposted 15 years ago

Our 14-year-old mutt, Tasha, developed canine arthritis recently, and I've done a lot of research on this one. The steps we've taken seem to be helping her; she gets up and down more easily, has resumed chasing squirrels in the backyard, and reminding me (with nips) when it's dinner time. Of course, that doesn't mean a similar program will help your dog. Each case, and each individual, is different.

We started Tasha off with regular glucosamine, the stuff people take. However, dogs and humans have vastly different metabolisms, and many of the things that help people can be toxic and dangerous for dogs. For example, raisins, grapes, onions, garlic, and macadamia nuts are all poisonous to dogs and can kill them if too much is ingested.

So rather than continue to give her people glucosamine, I shopped on eBay and got her Cosequin, which is a glucosamine-based supplement balanced for dogs. It costs more, but seems to help her more, which is the entire point of the exercise.

We also bought her a memory-foam bed. These are expensive, so rather than dive in and pay $300+ for a six-inch thick one, I decided to buy a thinner and less expensive ($75) one from Petco online, and see if it helped her before shelling out the bigger bucks. I'm glad I did, because this three-inch thick slab of memory foam is almost too thick; she wobbles when she steps up onto it, and if it was any thicker, she couldn't climb into bed.

It does help her. She is less stiff upon rising and sleeps more deeply, without getting up and down trying to make herself comfortable.

For more severe cases, or for cooler climates (we're in the extreme south of the U.S.), there are versions with heating pads built in for gentle (not above 85 degrees F) warmth. Note: memory foam is not egg-shell or convoluted (sp?) foam. Get the real stuff.

We also started Tasha on Adequan injections with the vet. This is a natural synovial fluid, injected directly into the arthritic joint. It's fairly expensive at around $35-40 a pop, and it takes four to six injections to "load" the dog's system, then there's a gradual tapering off with the aim of one shot per month being a maintenance dose. Some dogs need more, of course, and others will need less. Again, this is helping our Tasha, but each person must decide an appropriate financial outlay for his or her own situation.

Gentle exercise is very good for arthritic dogs, as it keeps the joints more supple and helps the synovial fluid to move through them. We encourage Tasha to "walk the back forty" around the yard every day, and she's the better for it.

We've also put her on Tramadol, a prescription painkiller. It's much safer for dogs than aspirin or any other human painkiller, and doesn't carry the danger of long-term GI tract damage that other NSAIDs have.

However, we refused to use the Rimadyl that the vet also prescribed for Tasha, as my online research showed the side effects to include liver and kidney damage and potentially death. Tasha's already fought (and won) cancer; we just couldn't risk her any further.

Hope this helps.

CherylTheWriter

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)