Rage Factor - Say No to Simon Cowell

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)
  1. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

I am trying to promote a campaign to get a song to Christmas No One in the UK that isn't the winning song on X Factor, for the first time in more years than I can remember.

I've just written a hub about this (I don't know if I'm allowed to publish the link or not). But basically, if you live in the UK and you don't like/intend to buy the X Factor winners single then you have to buy 'Killing In The Name Of'by Rage Against The Machine (odd choice I know) between the 13th and 20th of December.

Join the facebook group and tell your friends, so that even if the alternative single doesnt get to No.1 (which I admit is a long shot) it will at least get a lot of publicity and maybe more backing if we try again next year!!

1. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm going for this smile How many sales do you think it will take for it to happen?

2. jenblacksheep profile image67

Well 13 million people watch X Factor, but not all of them will buy the single, obviously. I think they reckon they need over a million people to buy the single for it to have any impact at all. I think there are a little over 200,000 who have joined the facebook group, and not all of them will actually buy the alternative single either. It IS a long shot, but hopefully it will still send a message out, even if it doesnt get to No.1

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

They will need to sell at least 250,000 copies to get to number 1 that week, probably more than that if Cowell buys 50,000 of his own singles (and that does go on).

I thought about doing this, but then came to the conclusion that Zack De La Rocha is a hyprocrite and that buying a single from Epic Records (a subsidiary of Sony) is no better than buying a record from Syco (also a subsidiary of Sony).

In fact, dont be suprised if that facebook group was set up by one of Simon Cowells marketing team.

Sorry, but shit idea.

4. jenblacksheep profile image67

I have heard people say that about them being owned by Simon Cowell anyway. If i was running the campaign I would pick a song that was being released near Christmas (that would be challenging for Xmas No.1 anyway) and get behind that.

To be honest I don't think it's being marketed well enough to be done by Simon Cowell (or any of his people), and I think the consequences would be pretty bad for him if anyone found out that he'd put an alternative against his own X Factor winner.

But at the end of the day, the point is just to send a message. I don't know if it will work. But i hate X Factor and I hate that it steals the Xmas No.1 every year, so what else can I do?

5. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

I have changed my mind, I am going to buy it. I dont think that they should have chosen a Sony track, they should have chosen an unsigned act, but I will buy it for the music. At least Rage, although hypocrites, wrote their own music!

6. jenblacksheep profile image67

That was a quick backtrack! Definitely bad song choice ... apparently last year it was Rick Astley, not surprised that didnt get anywhere. I don't know who else is releasing singles next week, but they should go for one of them, or keep Peter Kay's Children in Need song at No.1!!!

Haven't the X Factor contestants already had a No.1 with that Michael Jackson cover? I dno if it reached No.1 or not. How greedy do they wanna get!!!

7. Shinkicker profile image54
    Shinkickerposted 14 years ago

'Killing in the Name of' would be priceless as a Christmas No.1

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)