Video gamer slashes dad's throat

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (28 posts)
  1. mintinfo profile image63
    mintinfoposted 14 years ago

A 16-year-old Italian boy in Turin has cut his father's throat after a dispute over a video game.

The boy is said to have lost his temper after his father kept giving him advice on what moves to make. The teenager then snapped "I know how to play myself" and swore at his father.

His enraged dad then switched off the console without letting his son finish the match.

The boy then took a knife from the kitchen, returned to the living room and silently stabbed his father in the neck. He then calmly washed the knife and went to his bedroom.

His mother found her husband bleeding and called the ambulance and police. The man was in a critical condition, but survived.

This unfortunately is not a unique incident as increasingly more of these types of violent occurrences have surfaced in recent news due to the addictive nature of such devices. Do you manage your childrens use or overuse of video games.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

so, what if he had been watching South Park at the time, or playing ping-pong? would those be considered evil?

millions of kids play video games and you never read stories like this about them slashing their parents' throats. this kid was obviously sick in some way.

my son played all kinds of video games before he got interested in playing the guitar. he played many games that are considered violent but never once acted out in a violent manner.

but i do agree, parents should limit their children's time on the computer or video gaming only because they need other pursuits, including physical activity, to be healthy and well rounded.

2. Pr0metheus profile image57
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Blame the video games, not the parenting!

I've played violent games my whole life, and never laid a finger on my parents (except when my mom jumped out from behind me and surprised me - I've had 12 years of intense martial arts training... I dropped away and kicked her instinctively, but immediately apologized)

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Intense martial arts training? You know what Pr0metheus what I want to say to you will get me banned, so I will say HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

1. Pr0metheus profile image57

I'd love it if you said it to my face.

1. profile image0
            A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, is that your face?

No, that's your monitor.

3. warchild75 profile image63
      warchild75posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What rubbish,ive played violent video games and never had any homicidal tendancies,its all crap,you are born with a killer gene i think and he cant of had much love for his parents to dish out that retribution

4. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This more or less the parents fault because most of them never teach their kids the difference between reality and fiction.  Sure, you can argue all you want saying that video games are directly responsible, but if that's the case, then why am I not insane?  I played games like grand theft auto and metal gear solid as a kid, but you don't see me going around shooting others in public.  Plus, I even used to watch films like Predator and Terminator, since I was 8 years old.  Yet that didn't affect my psyche at all, and everyone else that I know in real life hasn't been affected either negatively by watching a lot of violent films or playing violent games as kids.

you see, for every research you want to prove that video games are direct cause for a rebellion, there's just as much proof that shows there is no link as well.  The difference between the people I know and myself is that we had parents that actually explained to us early on the difference between what's real and fake.  Whats right and whats wrong.

most parents today don't even bother doing that.  if you ask me, thats the real problem.  as jellydonut25 allured to, parents treat video games as  baby sitters which is outright wrong.

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I have no doubt there will probably be more such stories makin headlines too. hmm Addictive behaviors tend to remove one from reality and anger easily when interrupted as this boy was. Tis sad. My sons go on that multi-player Halo but least they know enough to step out into the real world and romp with their friends. big_smile

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

yikes OMG are you serious? Wow that kid needs anger management classes and no more video games.

4. Dale Mazurek profile image63
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

The younger generation has no concept of the real world or a virtual world, in fact they think virtual is real world.

Unfortunatly we are going to continue to hear more and more of these stories and lets face it.  We do have to put some blame on the parents especially the ones that allow video games to be baby sitters.

Dale

1. profile image0
      Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sad video games as baby sitters. just as bad as the TV being baby sitters.

1. profile image0
        cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i totally agree.

there's no substitute for good, active parenting.

1. profile image0
          Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amen Cosette!

5. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

My son loves video games and I have been known to play some on occasion as well, that said, video games should be used for enjoyment and not as a way to "keep the kids busy" or act as a baby sitter. I hope that my son benefits in some way from his games as have many extremely successful people in the technology industries. Video games do not make kids kill or act out, bad parenting or underlying mental issues do.

6. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

Video games are played occassionally  but we have our child in other activities away from the video games and internet we focus on family time. smile

7. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 14 years ago

I've been playing video games for 30 years both non-violent and violent ones and like 99.99999% of people who play these games, I will never murder anyone.

With anything there are always going to be extremes where someone 'snaps'  - this time it happened to be a video game...if you remember the Boomtown Rats song..I don't like Monday - it's based on a real story about a girl who killed people in her school because she didn't like mondays.

The same could be said for people watching violent movies etc.

My personal view is that these things may be the trigger but there's always an underlying problem that has nothing to do with the video game or the movie or anything......

If you take the number of murders you have in the world every day, and then find out how many are due to video games, you'll find it's a very small percentage!

1. Milla Mahno profile image61
      Milla Mahnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree

8. Jane@CM profile image62
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

That is horrible!

My son use to love his video games, but now he only plays occasionally when friends are over and he is bored.

9. Barb H profile image54
    Barb Hposted 14 years ago

How awful. This kind of thing happens to often.

10. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

I hope it was Wii Sports.

11. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

That is absolutely too scary - I just published a hub on video games addictions! Ye Gods! sad

12. scheinandras profile image61
    scheinandrasposted 14 years ago

viva la liberalism.

13. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

I think we all know who won this match of Mortal Kombat.

The one who declared himself the victor without ever entering the arena?

14. jellydonut25 profile image59
    jellydonut25posted 14 years ago

Video games are not babysitters and too often are treated like they are...

Parents should not have video games in their house unless they play as well so they can continue to stay involved with their kids and what they do...the less time your child spends with good, active parenting, the more rebellious he or she is going to be...

15. Dr. Larkin profile image60
    Dr. Larkinposted 14 years ago

Yeah, that Soccer video game was particularly violent.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)