"Economy SOARS 5.7 percent, fastest in 6 years": Yahoo!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (33 posts)
  1. fishskinfreak2008 profile image59
    fishskinfreak2008posted 14 years ago

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100129/bs_ … sa_economy

The question as always is: can this level of growth be SUSTAINED?

1. rhamson profile image72
      rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Look out,  maybe there is some good news.

It will put a real crimp in the naysayers style if the economy grows before they have a chance to counteract it.

Eight years to kill the economy and the impatience to give it some time to improve.  It really shows what some groups will do to jump on an issue and beat it before it can get up.

The politicians will be the death of this country yet!

2. rhamson profile image72

Why haven't the conservatives in here jumped all over this with a spin? 

Maybe there is some more studying needed to counter this claim.

1. profile image0
        A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We leave spin to you, if the economy gets better I am happy.

"A conservative is a man who sits and thinks, mostly sits."
          Woodrow Wilson (1856 - 1924)

1. tobey100 profile image60
            tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

a liberal is a man who acts and never thinks.  The intent is all that matters, results are not required.

A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first time.
              Alfred E. Wiggam

1. tobey100 profile image60

A liberal is a man who believes in doing the wrong thing over and over, and with someone else's money.

The liberal mantra  "If it ain't broke, we must need to fix it!"

If you can't see the catastrophe that has taken place the last two years and think that it is working than I can't help you.

A conservative government is an organized hypocrisy.
                  Benjamin Disraeli (1804 - 1881)

2. ledefensetech profile image67
        ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No.  We're still hemmoraging jobs and people still aren't buying like they were.  Until we cease to allow the people who got us into this mess to call the shots, we're going to suffer for their continued stupidity.

3. tobey100 profile image60

NO!  Number 1, they will revise the figure downward but you won't hear about it in the news and 2. Its a normal sort of bump that happens every fiscal year, usually by larger corporations 'dumping' product.  Don't get your hopes up.

3. MikeNV profile image67
      MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Changes nothing.

People are still unemployed and the debt is still climbing.

These stories are nothing but spin by a media that is bought and owned by Bankers.

Yesterday's good news was Ford's $2.7 Billion profit.

Buried at the bottom of the story was the FACT that Ford had to borrow an additional $7 Billion.

So did Ford really profit?  No.  It's just accounting trickery.  You state and income on a Income Statement then you bury the debt on the Balance sheet and carry payments forward.

That's all that is happening with the Government and the Media Spin.

More borrowing on the Balance Sheet so they can show an Imaginary Gain on the Income Statement.

Debt is not Capital and debt is not infinitely sustainable.

Nothing is fixed, more borrowing and more spending.

The day of reckoning is still coming and "Smart" people recognize this for what it is.

1. Last Hand Willie profile image59
        Last Hand Willieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One thing is sure. You have no idea how a balance sheet works.  You are aware that it is a separate from a profit and loss statement.  Better check with your accountant before you make make political statements based on ignorance.  Or perhaps you meant to deceived, thinking that everyone but you is ignorant. That would be very Republican of you.

4. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

After being unemployed & gaining employment after 4 months of unemployment, I can say we are looking at this as a good thing. The company that hired my husband is hiring a good many people, so are the three other companies that offered him a job.  So there is hope out there.

1. OregonWino profile image61
        OregonWinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good for you Jane!!  congrats!!

5. OregonWino profile image61
      OregonWinoposted 14 years ago

The first thing I leaned in Stats class in college...you cna make the numbers say anything you want, and that goes for both sides.

I agree it is a good thing, but the other side of the coin is the same as the issue of unemployement....simple math..

1.  If the ecomony has just gone through a 6% DROP in 3 years, then a 1% increase is probably evidense of overcorrection if nothing else.

Same as the decreased numbers of new unemployment claims...when 11% reported (probably functional unemployment of around 18-20%) of course the numbers of new claims will go down since 10-20% of the POSSIBLE workforce is ALLREADY unemployed..

6. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Hmm.  I guess if you wait long enough bad news really can seem to turn into good news....and still be bad news.

1. OregonWino profile image61
        OregonWinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It will get better.  I am VERY fiscally conservative and I agree that Bush was as bad or worse than those in power right now, but both of them have been HORRIBle and arguing over which sucks more is not really solving anything.

BUT, it would have taken a miracle for the economy to turn around in one year so I am not faulting the current powers for that....yet

7. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Don't forget about the inflation that is following this increase, even if the government doesn't want to admit it.

Do realize pricing structures are returning to levels before the recession began. It's due to government involvement. The pricing structure for goods and/or services were too high and the main reason for the economic downturn. Not including other factors.

There is still a lot of problems, and we are no way shape or form out of the woods yet. Therefore, no it cannot be sustained. smile

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nah my friend, we just likely had deflation started a couple of weeks ago. Watch it unfolding, should be fun lol

1. TheSituation profile image63
          TheSituationposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not if energy prices dont stay low AND they dont stop running the printing press 24/7

8. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Government is exacerbating the problem.  By allowing banks to survive rather than fail, they're allowing the very same people who got us into this mess to keep making bad decisions.  How does that help bring stability to the banking system?  In addition, how is the coming inflation going to help things any?  Anyone with half a brain knows that prices rise after an increase in the monetary supply.  We haven't seen that yet, but we will.  How many newly hiring companies are going to go under because they can't stay in business due to soaring costs and lower income from sales due to people being unable to afford the price hikes?  Not to mention the unbelievable graft and corruption we've seen in the handing out of taxpayer money to politically connected individuals and companies without regard about the sustainability of the "jobs" created.

Indeed, by many reports, the jobs creation of the stimulus was pretty much fabricated.  Pricing levels are returning to pre-bubble levels because that's what happens when a bubble bursts.  It has nothing to do with what the government has done or has failed to do.  If anything the government has been trying to prop up prices to give people the impression that the salad days of the bubble are back.  Much like a real bubble, once popped, a bubble is impossible to inflate again.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you credit politicians and the media with too much intelligence... a lot of them don't seem to realise this.

Also people aren't aware that "economic growth" is defined as an increase in GDP, in which government spending is included as part of its calculation.  So if government spending goes up, then GDP goes up.

It blew my mind when I found that out.  It would be a bit like me telling my bank manager "No you see, it doesn't matter that my overdraft is the size of a small country.  I'm spending more money, so I'm experiencing economic growth!" lol

9. profile image0
      jerrylposted 14 years ago

A look back into history will show us that income tax and the passage of the federal reserve act, occured at aproximately the same time.  Since that time, our indebtedness has increased, each year.  It didn't matter which political party was in office!

The position of Emperor of the United States has been held by the chairman of the board of the federal reserve, fractional banking, debt monetary system, since it's beginning.

It's the bankers that control this nation and it's economy, not the politicians.  The politicians are just tools that TPTB use to keep and maintain their power.

Jerryl

10. MikeNV profile image67

This is for people who want to know the Truth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt

If you can read these numbers then conclude there will be a recovery... Can you explain how the debt will EVER be repaid?

This countries debt exceeds the ability of the People to repay it.

It's just that simple.

11. Wayne Orvisburg profile image62
      Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years ago

Call me a bit ignorant, but if the economy grows, doesn't that mean more is being produced? Which would mean they would need more people to produce? Which would mean more people working? Which would mean more people speding? Which would mean more products need to be made?

I considered this to be good news.

12. profile image0
      jerrylposted 14 years ago

Wayne,  Increases in productivity and products, does not increase the money supply.

Under our debt system, all M1 money,(the money we use to pay our everyday living expenses), is created through the extension of credit from private commercial banks, or other debt instruments.

We are forced to borrow every cent we have in circulation.  Money is created when debts are incurred, and extinguished when loans are repaid. In this debt process, there is no money created to pay the interest on any loans, therefore, we are always creating a debt greater than the debt money supply.

People often get confused about the difference between wealth and money.  You can have wealth in the equity of your home or possessions, or in a warehouse full of product.

You cannot spend wealth however.  It must be converted into money first.  There are only two ways to convert wealth into money.  You can sell some of your wealth, and if the amount is large enough, someone would probably have to borrow to buy your wealth from you.

The second way to convert wealth into money, is to mortgage that wealth, or in other words, put your wealth up as collateral for a loan.  Either method usually means that the bankers will dip their interest grabbing hands into someone's wallet. 

So you see, if we do not borrow under our current monetary system, we would be without a medium of exchange.

If you have money in the bank, or in your pocket, you could not possibly have that money unless someone else, either individually or collectively, has an equal amount of debt.

If there is no debt, there can be no dollars.

Think about it.  TPTB say that people borrowed too much, and this is the cause of our economic downturn.  Now the government
      Wants the banks to loan out more to revive the economy.

We have sent a lot of our manufacturing base to China.  Ironic! We are building up their economy so we can borrow more from them.

jerryl

13. Akhomesteader profile image73
      Akhomesteaderposted 14 years ago

I'll believe it when this country brings it's manufacturing base back. Right now there is more growth in service sector jobs than those that create new wealth.

14. MikeNV profile image67

Sixty Mintues Report on the Second Wave of Economic Collapse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKlBJavw_X4

If you don't believe the Real Crash is still coming that's fine.  But for those of us who understand Fractional Reserve Banking it's time to get your money out of the Banks while you still can.  What to put it into besides survival supplies and fully paying off your home is the next question.

1. profile image0
        jerrylposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Mike,  That's about the only safe  place to put money.  I have totally paid off my house, and I have got about 1 year of survival foods stashed. A 1 year old vehicle all paid for.
        I have no payments other than daily living expenses and fuel.
        All of my utilities, insurances and taxes are paid ahead at least 6 months.
        It feels good to be prepared.. Planning ahead has paid off.

When TSHTF, a lot of people are going to get hurt bad.  There will be a lot more homeless and jobless.

Jerryl

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)