Is book cover very important?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (20 posts)
  1. prosmentor profile image60
    prosmentorposted 14 years ago

What is your view about the cover of a book? Is it very important?

1. DogSiDaed profile image61
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I think it certainly can be, something eye catching is good if people are browsing, and I for one do like to have a book with a cover that I also like. Of course content is key, but a nice cover is a good extra.

Also prosmentor, can I ask, why is your Hubberscore 3? You have 35 hubs and you're active in the forums... Just seems strange to me :S

2. MURMAID profile image61
      MURMAIDposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BOOK COVER DESIGN
      2 or 3 Seconds. That's all the time your book cover has.
      You may have the greatest book ever written; but no one will ever know that if your book cover design isn't professional, intriguing, and attractive. In the mind of the buyer, a self-made book cover design often destroys the credibility of the writing and promises a poor product. Don't compromise -- hire a pro to do a book cover design for you that demands market attention.
      •    your book's content should perform effortlessly for the reader when it comes to usability and readability;
      •    Finally, your book interior should be designed and laid out so that the elements of your layout can be easily repurposed for marketing opportunities and derivative products. How is that done? With great care and consideration, skill and expertise.

2. DogSiDaed profile image61
    DogSiDaedposted 14 years ago

Actually might have answered that myself. Your Nokia phones guide is almost entirely lifted from someone elses article.

3. Moneylady profile image65
    Moneyladyposted 14 years ago

Without a doubt a cover is of most importance! I was going to call my children's book The Happy Snowman and put a few pictures on the cover. Not a good idea. What my illustrator came up with was amazing! He took one line ... It Was Nighter ...  from one of the poems and used for the title and one of the pictures of a moon from inside the book and the change was like magic.

Also, mdawson17 here at hubpages, told me that you can write the best book in the world, but if the cover is no good it will sit unread on the shelf forever. He knows what he is talking about cause he has been writing for 7 years and his books sell all over the world! Good luck to you in your writing quest!

1. profile image49
      lonniews2002posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Happy Valentines day Money Lady, I have singned up for this Hub, hope its ok to do that, so I could reply to your posting.  You can judge a book by its cover  huh"  I do agrre w/ you.  If you receive this give me a holler..  your friend  Lonnie Dean

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Prosmentor, in my humble opinnion, I think the cover is very important! It's like an introduction.

5. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

Yes a cover summerises the whole book.  If the cover doesnt intrigue then the reader wont even check the back.  Hope this helps x

6. profile image0
    Miss Takeposted 14 years ago

depends.  I have been fooled so often by a book cover.  I now thing that the same principle applies to book covers as it does to suit cases.  Sometimes the tatty looking case is full of treasure.

7. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 14 years ago

A book cover is the first thing a potential buyer sees.  If the cover does not attract them, the possibility of a sale is greatly reduced.  What else induces someone browsing instore to pick up a book (asuming they don't know the author's name or aren't looking for this particular book already.)

This is why publishing houses have a department given solely to producing sale-catching book covers.

8. cottontail profile image60
    cottontailposted 14 years ago

Is a book cover important? Absolutely.

Unless you are searching for an already recommended book, the first thing you will notice as you search for new books is the cover. I'm a visual person and if the cover doesn't appeal to me for one reason or another, chances are, I'm not going to pick it up and flip through it.

9. EFPotter profile image61
    EFPotterposted 14 years ago

The two things that get me to read a book:
    1.) Recommendation
    2.) Cover

There are too many books out there. If something looks interesting, catches my eye in a library with hundreds or thousands of books, I'll read its inside jacket or the back, and if that's interesting I'll give it a try. It could be the most interesting book ever, but if nothing sets it apart, how will I ever know?

Ditto "there are too many books" reasoning for taking friends' recommendations. If someone whose opinion I trust says it's good, well, it usually is. I fell in love with Dean Koontz and George R. R. Martin on recommendation and do all I can do spread the word on them.

I recently picked up a book because it had a busy, bright, interesting cover. It's one of the funniest most interesting books I have read in a long, long time! Definitely the right choice!

10. profile image53
    probafixposted 14 years ago

A book cover is a key element in your book success. Although you may have grown up with the old adage...

11. Rod Marsden profile image68
    Rod Marsdenposted 14 years ago

They say don't judge a book by its cover. Actually, if you don't know the author and they won't let you read a chapter or two before you buy then you really only have the cover to go by. If the front grabs me I'll read the blurb and then I might buy.

12. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 14 years ago

If you are an avid reader, you don't give a damn about a cover. The title, the name of the author would grab your attention, you peek inside and in a second you are absorbed in reading and you've forgot where are you going, what you are supposed to do right now, you are inside this book and everything else is lost for you in a moment. You can even shell your last pennies for this book. It might be completely without cover or with missing pages for that matter. How many books with absolutely perfect covers contain nothing? Not for your brain, not for your soul, excuse me,I am out.

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

To some extent I agree with you. I have seen some really bad cover designs for A Clockwork Orange and 1984 and those are novel that kiss ass. I can't say I like the cover art to a lot of the Jim Butcher novels that are out there. If friends hadn't recommended him I wouldn't have bothered.

13. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Sometimes it does...I think it depends on the genre. Usually the author's name is enough to swing me...that is if the author's a fave of mine.

1. Rod Marsden profile image68
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

but the question then crops up Sa Toya: how does the author get to be a fave of yours? There could be a brilliant author out there putting out his first novel. He hasn't much of a name as such. Yes, so he has appeared in some anthologies and in some magazines but he is trying to make his big break as a novelist. How does this guy or gal win you over to become one of your faves. I also have fave writers I know are good and I don't give a damn about the cover design because they have already proven to be worth the sheckles.

14. CarpetDiem profile image71
    CarpetDiemposted 14 years ago

I almost always judge a book by it's cover... at least that forms my first opinion. And if I don't know the author or the title, if it is a negative opinion, it will also be my last opinion.
    So unless you're famous, the cover is VERY important. smile

15. profile image0
    4hopeposted 14 years ago

I agree with you.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)