jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (21 posts)

How many books in a year do you read (your best guess)? Do you prefer fiction or

1. Danette Watt profile image85
    Danette Wattposted 2 years ago

How many books in a year do you read (your best guess)? Do you prefer fiction or non-fiction?

I'm taking a  2015 Reading Challenge this year. We work from a suggested book list - book with a color in the title, book written by an author whose initials are the same as yours, etc. It will be interesting to see if I read any more this year than in past years.

2. Zelkiiro profile image93
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

I haven't done much reading lately--I blame college for burning me out--but I vastly prefer fiction over nonfiction. I'm real big into the sci-fi and fantasy genres, and of course, that kind of thing is tricky to do in nonfiction because, well, we sure as shoot don't have elves or light-speed travel in the real world.

Danette Wattposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Have you read the book The Martian? I read it not long ago and it was very good. I'm not into sci-fi much. It was written by a man who rec'd lots of kudos for its technical correctness. It's going to be made into a movie with Matt Damon.

3. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

Probably a couple of dozen.  I like both, but tend to spend more time reading non-fiction, often because I need to learn how to do something or I am doing research for projects etc.

I'm not sure how many books I read in a year, I guess this challenge will help me figure that out. I read 4 in Jan, 3 in Feb and 1 in March. It keeps going down! But partly because I haven't found anything that's really caught my interest.

4. Link10103 profile image74
    Link10103posted 2 years ago

When I was still in High school, which was only 2 years ago at this point, I would probably say I read anywhere between 20-30 books a year if not every 6 months. Fiction of course, I can barely stand most nonfiction and I wouldn't ever Willingly go near a book list that didn't have things I personally picked.

Now I rarely read because I dont ever go to a library anymore.

It isn't a list like they give in school, rather a suggestion/challenge such as "read a book with a number in the title" or "read a book of short stories" You find the book you want based on those parameters. I used to read lots in HS too.

5. Babbyii profile image81
    Babbyiiposted 2 years ago

I probably read about 10 -12 books every year. Love both fiction and non-fiction.  I get inspiration, encouragement, helpful knowledge and a bit of healthy laughter from both. Interesting challenge Danette.

My niece introduced me to this - you can probably find the challenge online somewhere. It's been fun and has introduced me to a few authors I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

6. FatFreddysCat profile image99
    FatFreddysCatposted 2 years ago

I'm on my eleventh (!) book of this year already... with two more in the "on deck" circle that I  have to read thru before they're due back at the library! One of my New Year's resolutions was that I was going to read more in 2015, I'm certainly living up to it. (haha)
    I read a lot of fiction growing up (mainly action/adventure, sci-fi and horror) but over the past few years I've found myself reading a lot more non-fiction - mainly histories of film/music genres, biographies of performers/personalities that I admire, etc. So far everything I've read this year has been in that area.

I'm impressed Keith! I read a mix of fiction (action / thrillers mainly) and non-fiction (mainly current event topics). Keep reading!

7. Amanda108 profile image93
    Amanda108posted 2 years ago

I've actually been keeping book lists since I was in high school! I write the title and the author, always; other details have shifted over the years. I once kept track of page numbers, once I tried a "rating" system but could never decide on what # stars to give a book!

Anyway, the number tends to be between 25 and 50, depending on how good a year it is.

I read more fiction, but lately have been drawn toward non if the subject is very interesting or is told in story format. Ultimately I just want something unique. I'll take anything as long as it doesn't feel like I'm reading the same plot and/or facts over and over again. I constantly mix it up with fav genres.

Have fun with your reading challenge!

Starting with fiction and moving toward non-fiction seems to be a pattern with a lot of folks. I read a lot of action/thrillers and they do tend to run together. I hope when I write mine, my character/plots will be unique enough not to bore readers!

8. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

For the last few years I've averaged about 10 books per year. Which I personally find kind of pitiful. I increased my amount to 20 this year, but so far it's slow going. I generally like to read fiction, but have found myself gravitating towards non-fiction as I get older.

Well, I can't fault you for reading just 10 books in a year, that's almost 1 / month. We have less time as adults to spend on reading and if you're like me, you read 5 mins in bed before falling asleep!

9. LoisRyan13903 profile image82
    LoisRyan13903posted 2 years ago

Depending on the length of the book, I average about one a week.  I prefer mostly fiction and use n'f for reference.  But if a book goes over 400 pages hen it takes me longer, it took me over a month to read Stephen King's The Stand and Fall of Giants-Ken Follet took a while as well.

1. Amanda108 profile image93
      Amanda108posted 2 years agoin reply to this

A month is quite good timing for The Stand, especially if you read the uncut version! Good point that the page numbers make a big difference - it's not as simple as the number of books themselves.

2. LoisRyan13903 profile image82
      LoisRyan13903posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I try to limit it to 50 pages a day or I would get nothing else done.  Sometimes more if I am trying to finish a book.  When I read something on my kindle, I am not aware of how many pages I read and sometimes I read faster that way.

3. Danette Watt profile image85

I agree with Amanda, it isn't the number of pages as much as the density of the material. I read The Stand years ago when it first came out - one of my favorite Stephen King books.

10. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

Rarely, if icould reada book per year, consider lucky, i wish i could spend more time on reading. I love kids books, enid blyton

I've read a number of excellent kids' books - late elementary - high school. One of my favorites that I ended up reading 3 times with my then-4th grade son was Holes. Sad at first, but of course it ended up happily.

working