Promoting hubs with odd topics

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (28 posts)
  1. DuqueDupre profile image60
    DuqueDupreposted 15 years ago

I guess the title says it all-

I have a few published hubs and a few in the workds that I believe are well written and interesting to read, but I can't see many people finding them through google, what are some other good ways besides spaming links to promote it?

This one of the hubs I was talking about- <snipped link - people can visit your profile to view your hubs>

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

These forums are definitely not a place to promote them smile

DuqueDupreposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I get that, I was simply posting the link to the hub so people could see what i was talking about. I get that the forums in Hubpages is not the greatest source of traffic, I didn't even think some one would see it that way.
      It's a weird topic, so I wanted to know if any one has had success promoting a hub like that or of that nature?

3. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

Welcome to Hub Pages ...

If you want advice on your Hub, please post a link to it on the "Extreme Hub Makeover" Forum.  Hub links posted in any other Forum may be considered excessive self-promotion, and the links could get snipped.

For promotion and money-making tips, you can start by clicking on "Help" at the top right-hand corner of this page, then scroll down for a bunch of links on money-making.  The "sticky pink thread," or FAQs, also offers some good advice.

More discussions on promotions and money can be found by doing a search in this Forum ("Knowledge Exchange"), and the "Need Help?  Ask Here" Forum.

Hope this helps.

1. weblog profile image58
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

DuqueDupre:

Read this too smile

I didn't want advice on my hub, I wanted advice on where I should spend my time promoting the particular hub that i linked to. I did not want general advice about promoting, I wanted advice on that particular hub, thus why I linked to it.

Again people in here telling me not to link, are peopl I have seen link in many other hubs. So I am not sure if there is a "mob reasoning" going here, but relaly you guys chill out.

4. DuqueDupre profile image60

okay let me state again the purpose of the thread.

The hub in question is a topic that usually remains in relative obscurity for most people. I was looking for other members who have writen on topics that were random and appealed to a small audience, who had success promoting such ecclectic hubs.

I have done quite well with the rest of my hubs, 7 out of my 12 hubs are first pagers, I get on how to promote, but with odd topic hubs, how would you promote it without posting links every where. I find it weird that I am getting flammed for some thing I stated I was not trying to do in the first place, I said I did not "spam" my link every where, and some how that's how it's being labled.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

If you call this "getting flamed", you have a lot to learn about public forums yet smile
      You were getting politely reminded about the rules of the place, that you broke by your actions, even if you did not intend to.

5. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

DD -

That is an odd subject. I would think it "might" strike a chord with the stumbleupon readers. Especially if you made it more visually appealing by adding more photos and videos.

Also - It is unlikely to generate huge interest I'm afraid. Some subjects are like that.

Five crappy gadgets you don't need being a good example of a personal failure. sad

6. DuqueDupre profile image60

Thanx Mark, I know not many people are going to want to read it, I didn't think it had much of an audience to begin with, I was looking for advice like yours, seeing if there were any communities that had weird taste.

*side note: for those of you who don't get it, it's a satire.

7. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

It may not have much interest now, but you might be surprised to find later on search traffic will find your Hub and be interested in it.  I have a keen interesting in Pacific Islands and Pacific history, so I wrote a Hub about the turmoil in Nauru that was mostly geared towards people who shared a fascination with this topic, and not many people have I found out.  I only had about sixty or so people visit this hub since I published it a few months ago, and most of these were from a group interested in Pacific Island history.  Then one day to my delighted surprise a lady that used to live on Nauru came by and shared her story with me, which was well worth the wait even if this hub is not the highest searched for topic.

Awesome, thanks for the info...

8. Marian Swift profile image60
    Marian Swiftposted 15 years ago

I wasn't flaming you... but I did want to expand on what Misha was saying, because it looked like your link might get snipped, and it was only fair you should know why.

Sure enough, it did get snipped (through no doing of my own, I assure you).

I'm still too new to feel like any kind of expert on Google listings, but I do understand that Hubs and pages on unusual topics can do very well, if only because they're not competing with 50 million other pages on the same topic.

Others (actually, almost anyone else) can explain how best to promote your Hubs better than I can.

The links I gave you are helpful too.

9. DuqueDupre profile image60

*from the rules*
    Promoting other sites: This includes linking to any site that you have a vested interest in promoting, especially using affiliate links. To be on safe side we recommend that you establish a presence in the HubPages community before you post any links in the forum.

where does it say that I can't link to one of my hubs?

How again did I break a rule?

Since you're policing the forums, I suggest you add an ammendment to the first clause.

10. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

"Do not start threads for the sole purpose of promotion or posting links. Please use the Forums in the spirit of community! forum rules"

At the top of this page big_smile

Hit "Post Reply" and you will see it ......

1. Marian Swift profile image60
      Marian Swiftposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Please re-read:

The active word in Mark's quote is start.

I'm not Hub Pages staff and cannot amend Hub pages policies (neither is Misha). 

I was trying to extend you a courtesy, because I too have been new and have unintentionally broken a rule or two.  And each time I did, a Hubber extended me the same courtesy I tried to extend to you.  (Sincere thanks to all you helpful Hubbers!)

One last bit of advice, then I'm done:  If you believe the rules should be changed, you could post your proposed change on the "Report a Problem or Suggest a New Feature" Forum.  Hub Pages staffers do read that forum regularly, plus you'll get community feedback on your proposed change.

11. DuqueDupre profile image60

was it my soul purpose?

I see post and threads all over the place where people post links to their hubs, why am I an exception?

couldn't the same be said about this post?

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol

Why are you now attacking me? You asked where it said it and I told you where it was.

I don't make the rules, and I did not start this thread. In fact, I gave you what I thought was good advice.

Plus - it was appropriate to give you an example, given the thread you started.

Plus, I like to think I get cut a little slack having been here a while and proven myself not to be a spammer. smile

Its not my intention to attack, I thought you gave me great advice, I am just seeing an irony that's all. can you see where I am comming from?

Yes. But you need to look at who is saying what. Look at their hubs. Look at how many forum posts they have made, what their hubscore is etc.

I understand that you cannot see the difference between you starting a thread with a link and me adding a link to an already started thread, but that is really because you haven't taken the trouble to feel around how hubpages works and see just how many threads get started with the words,

"So, I am a new hubber, tell me how to get traffic to my new hub." LINK

lol

They even recently started a new forum just for those to be posted, but you chose not to use that.

Interact a little with everyone, and you will soon discover every one will come and check out your hub. You will get all the advice you need with a little patience. smile

12. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Try posting the link in Extreme Hub Makeover forum. That's better big_smile

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL nobody is hot here, except for weblog's avatar, so no need to chill smile

Mark already told you two reasons why him posting link on this thread is considered OK, and yours - not. I can just re-iterate them.

1. He did not start the thread, and he was giving an example to illustrate his words. You did start, and posted the link in the very first post.
    2. He is a respected community member here. You - we don't know yet. You do not seem to be a spammer, and that's why we are all spending our time here explaining the rules. If we saw you were an obvious spammer, nobody would have been talking to you here, and your account probably was already gone.

This is the way communities work, whether you like it or not.

The reason for this rule is that we saw quite a few spammers DAILY littering the forums with the links to their hubs. So we had to adopt this rule to make this environment pleasant for us. And for you, too, once you understand the rules and start participating actively. smile

14. DuqueDupre profile image60

okay I am done with this. I have stated my case clearly, and to no avail.

ciao

15. weblog profile image58
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Oh Misha, I thought my avatar was cool sad

16. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I guess regular physics don't apply here. Could be hot and cool at the same time big_smile

BTW, I like your previous one much better.

1. weblog profile image58
      weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Oh ok. Thanks smile

17. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 15 years ago

For whatever it's worth, my two best traffic hubs are totally random, satire hubs and I didn't promote them at all, one of which is at 300 comments so far, and both hit a thousand page views in well under a month.  The best of them is even about a poop company for crying out loud.  So, just write intersting (or crappy lol) content and, if it's as good as you say, people will show up for it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)