- Games, Toys, and Hobbies»
- Computer & Video Games
Fun Games Like Maplestory - MMORPG Games
Maplestory has been in the MMORPG industry for quite a while. Given that most MMORPG last no longer than 3 years, its longevity is something that I take notice of. Released in 2005, this game has introduced many patches and some roller coaster up and downs. I think why people still play it is cause of the game play. Arcade style beat em up with RPG elements? Hell yeah!
Anyway, I am going to give you a few good MMORPG games like Maplestory that you could play. Perhaps you might fall in love with it!
Are you a Maplestory fan?
Elsword Online is also developed by a Korean Company called KOG studios. They are a 2.5D side scroller beat em up MMORPG.
The story behind the game is about a mythical land called Elrios that has a gem called "El Stone". Si Senor! How about some spanish my friend? Anways, the darn stone gets stolen. Elsword and company then decides to go retrieve the stone.
In the game, you get to choose to play as Elsword or any of his companions. Below is the list of it:
- Elsword - A hotheaded swordsman trained by his sister, Elsa.
- Rena - An elf marksman living in the mortal world. Elegant and deadly.
- Eve - A loli magician that can cast devastating spells. Mages are always lolis. Darn!
- Raven - A close combat specialist with a giant mechanic arm. Think of Edward Elric from Full Metal Alchemist.
- Eve - Another loli girl that can that uses machinery to lay a smack down on its enemies.
- Chung - If you like cannons and heavy armor, this young boy will do it.
- Ara - Spear wielding loli girl that likes to poke enemies with a deadly spear. Not yet released in the NA server, but will be soon.
The gameplay is rather similar to Maplestory. You choose a map you like, and fight the enemies like the classic arcade beat em up. You get to wear better armor and weapons as you level.
Dragonica Online(Dragon Saga)
Dragonica is a 3D side-scrolling MMORPG developed by Barunson Interactive.
The story takes place in El Grego and Angrakka. Humans and dragons were able to live together peacefully. However, it did not last and they both waged war on each other.
Like Maplestory, you get to control your character, but you get to navigate around 3D terrain. You get to round around in circles and do cool stuff 2D games cannot. There are a total of 6 classes available:
- Warrior - Your melee combar specialist. Focuses on ground techniques
- Thief - Uses swift attacks with claws to annihilate enemies.
- Archer - Enjoys attacking from mid-long range and also in the air.
- Magician - Casts powerful area of effect and healing spells.
- Shaman - Summons elementals to fight by your side.
- Twin Fighter - 2 similar fighters fighting side by side. How cool is that?
You get to advance classes later in the game. There is a total of 28 playable classes to date.
La Tale is a 2D side-scrolling MMORPG developed by Actoz Soft. This game like Maplestory has a rather similar feel to it.
The story line is highly confusing and some of it doesn't make too much sense to me, but the gameplay is awesome. Here are the following classes that you can choose:
- Warriors - This class is pure brute strength type class. They have a gung ho mentality, given that they can wield two-handed swords, spears and knuckles. They lack defensive capabilities, but make up for it with good offense.
- Knights - This class is more or less the opposite of warriors. They focus more on defense, given that they usually wear a shield and sword. Since they have the highest amount of stamina, these guys can take a beating.
- Wizards - Your standard glass cannons. They can cast powerful area of effect spells of different elements. They can heal as well if the player chooses that.
- Explorers - They deal damage from long range. They can wield daggers, crossbows, bows and knuckles. They lack damage output compared to other classes, but they do make it up with high attack speed and critical hit rate.
- Engineers - A unique class that can plant a totem or turret that deals damage for about 10 seconds.
They also have 2nd Job promotions. After promotion, you can start using other weapons that are usually specialized by that class.
Wind Slayer 2(Closed)
Wind Slayer 2 is a 2D side-scrolling MMORPG developed by Ignited Games. This game was actually made right around the same time as Maplestory, but for some reason it was closed down. However, Ignited Games came and bought the game. They relaunched it and called it Wind Slayer 2.
This game is extremely similar to Maplestory. You get to choose the following classes:
- Warrior - The durable class that can withstand hits and excel in close combat. You get to advance to either a Berserker or Paladin.
- Mage - They can cast powerful magic spells to decimate enemies. They lack physical strength. They can teleport around.
- Monk - They use their fist to punch their enemies to oblivion. Counters and fighters are the advancement classes you can choose later in the game.
- Thief - Depending on stealth to deal damage to enemies, they focus on speed. You get to choose between Rogue or Assassin later.
- Priest - The healing class that everyone loves. Later in the game you can become a dark priest if you are sick of the holy side.
- Archer - Your ranged marksman that kills enemies from afar.
They are currently closed again, however, they should re-open in fall.
Lunaria Story has a some really similar graphics to Maplestory, but the game play is vastly different. There is a lot of auto features, making it less of a grind fest. If you are not a fan of grinding, then you might want to give this a shot. You get to choose between Swordsman, Elementalist and Hunter.
The game has plenty of prizes since it is still new. Try them out!
Other Games Like Maplestory
Here are a few smaller ones worth mentioning:
Dungeon Fighter Online
This is a 2D side-scrolling MMORPG as well, but the NA server is closing down in June 2013, so only the Asian servers are up. It isn't quite as popular in NA.
Focused more on PvP fighting.
Similar to Maplestory.
Conclusion to Fun Games Like Maplestory
There aren't too many MMORPG that lasted like Maplestory. Although some stayed around, most of them just crashed and burned. If you are tired of Maplestory, you could probably try these games out.
Stuff you might like:
- Games Like Club Penguin - Game Recommendations
If you enjoyed Club Penguin, here are some other games similar to it that you can check out.
- Games Like FTL(Faster Than Light)
Here are some other games you could play that are similar to FTL.
- A List of Games Like Fire Emblem
Looking for games that are similar to Fire Emblem? I am going to introduce you to some fun ones to play.
- Ecol Tactics Online Leveling and Exploration Guide
I am giving you a brief summary on the best places to get experience and also the use of mercenary expedtions.
- Epic Old Video Games That Are Still Being Played
While there are a lot of new games coming out now, there are some games that still stand the test of time. Some of these games are still being played frequently today.