Anyone know anything about antique buttons?

1. workingmomwm profile image83
    workingmomwmposted 6 years ago

Anyone know anything about antique buttons?

I found this at a site in Barren County, KY - right around Barren River Lake. This site has been known to produce everything from Paleolithic artifacts to modern litter.

I'm trying to date this particular piece. My husband and I are pretty sure it is either bone or antler. It's a little smaller and thinner than a dime (as you can see from the picture). It's much lighter and rougher to the touch than our modern plastic buttons. It is rounded on one side and flat on the other, and there is a tiny indentation in the center of the rounded side.

Any ideas? Is this Civil War, pre-, or post-?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/5999616_f260.jpg

2. myindieinstinct profile image58
    myindieinstinctposted 6 years ago

I can tell from the picture that its machine-made. It's probably made from celluloid (an early plastic), not likely to be made of bone.

3. cat on a soapbox profile image96
    cat on a soapboxposted 6 years ago

It's very hard to tell from this picture, The shape, size, and type of the holes remind me of those found on men's  full-body underwear ie. unionsuits. Typically, they were bone or ivory. The color here is hard to read. Was it buried?  It could also be Tagua nut  commonly called "vegetable ivory." These was common from the mid 1880s to the 1920s until celluloid and bakelite took over. Tagua has recently come back in popularity for both buttons and jewelry.

working