jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Does anyone know anything about a B12 Deficiency?

  1. ii3rittles profile image81
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

    Does anyone know anything about a B12 Deficiency?

    I have been dealing with sever neck and shoulder pain for over two years now. I also have bouts of dizziness and light hotheadedness. I get bad anxiety attacks and panic attacks as well. I also been having all over muscle twitching and jumping since last November. I read that a B12 deficiency can cause these things, is that true? I have been to so many doctors and they all tell me I'm fine... I'm so fed up and depressed. Its ruining my life. I gained so much weight because I will be stuck in bed for hours, sometimes days! I also am so weak and tired most days, yet I can't fall asleep at night!

  2. ii3rittles profile image81
    ii3rittlesposted 6 years ago

    (Light headedness... my computer corrects spelling)
    I also have irregular times of the month, nausea, and really bad mood swings. Sometimes I will start crying for no reason or get mad at the dumbest things. Has anyone experienced this or know what this all may be? No doctor can tell me! They look at me like I'm a mental case. This pain is beyond real. ;(

  3. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 6 years ago

    My friend had a B12 deficiency. Her doctor managed it really well.  I think but am not 100% sure that there was a blood test they could do to check her levels (consider asking your doctor if such a test could be done in your case, or even see a different doctor)... my friend's doctor gave her periodic B12 shots to increase the levels. Her B12 deficiency gave her some problems with very fine motor skills of her hands, but that was her specific case.  Not being a doctor, I wouldn't know whether her case was typical or not, and I certainly couldn't comment on whether you have a B12 deficiency or not.

    Sometimes doctors don't do certain tests unless you specifically request them.  If you think you have B12 deficiency, ask specifically for them to do a test to check.  It can be diplomatic and works well to say something along the lines of that you specifically request the test "to at least RULE OUT a B12 deficiency as a possibility".  If you really think you may have this and the doctor thinks you don't, then ask again if there's a simple test that can be done "to rule it out" and request it to be done.  Good luck with everything.

  4. Mekenzie profile image81
    Mekenzieposted 6 years ago

    I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia a few years ago.  The physician explained that intrinsic factor lines the stomach of a healthy person.  People with pernicious anemia no longer have the intrinsic factor. You need the intrinsic factor because this is what absorbs B-12 into our bodies.  Without intrinsic factor the B-12 is washed out of the body.

    At first the solution was B-12 shots which I received every other day.  Later I found B-12 sublingual's which were absorbed into the blood stream by dissolving under the tongue.

    The first test most physicians use to diagnose many types of anemia is a complete blood count (CBC)  If the CBC results confirm that you have anemia, you may need other blood tests to find out what type of anemia you have. 

    A good qualified physician will get answers to your concerns.  If you don't feel your current physician is capable or if he does not seem to listen to you, do not hesitate to find a physician who takes you seriously and is proactive.

    I hope you find answers to your health needs.

  5. cloverleaffarm profile image64
    cloverleaffarmposted 6 years ago

    I've had similar symptoms for 9 years. I have B12 deficiency due to pernicious anemia, and get monthly shots. It has not helped with the neck or shoulder pain or the vertigo.
    Your doctor can do a blood test to determine if you are low in B12. If you have pernicious anemia, B12 does not absorb into the bloodstream through food, or through the mouth. It has to be injected.
    It's an easy blood test to check it out.