jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (8 posts)

Did you play the first Guild Wars?

1. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

Did you play the first Guild Wars?

Guild Wars was one of the first free-to-play MMOs on the market and, according to IGN, was the only game to ever hold a candle to the inferno that was/is World of Warcraft. With Guild Wars 2 making bold claims of changing how we play MMOs, I can't help but wonder who played the original Guild Wars. I did, but I was a casual player and I never had any family or friends who owned the game. I see lots of other players when I'm in a city, but who are all these people? Are you one of them? If so, what is your assessment of the game now that it's reaching the end of its life cycle?

2. profile image0
    zEric7xposted 6 years ago

I have heard of the game but I have never played it before. It sounds fun though.

3. Ironman1992 profile image60
    Ironman1992posted 6 years ago

Guild Wars was one of the first mmos I ever played. I thought it was great at first, but I did grow bored after a short while and moved on to City of Heroes. I had a lot of fun with City of Heroes, but there was too little to do when the max level was reached, and the pvp was not very good. I then moved on to WoW, and I have stuck with WoW, because it is my favorite mmo to date. Every year a new mmo is destined to overthrow WoW, but it has not yet happened. Guild Wars 2 is looking good and looks as though it will compete with WoW. My main complaint with the first Guild Wars is that it just didn't have the community that WoW has and it lacked a good pvp system, if it even had one at all, which I can't remember, because its been so long ago since I played. Also, the world was not as appealing as WoW's, though the characters' style was great. These problems aside, it was probably the best mmo to not have a monthly fee.

4. AM Hanson profile image78
    AM Hansonposted 5 years ago

I loved Guild Wars.  I played it with my brother and some friends, and made some random friends as well.  It was really fun, but i've never really been an MMO kind of guy.  It worked for me, but never really drew me in enough to really work to beat it.

5. Keith Engel profile image76
    Keith Engelposted 5 years ago

I only played a short trial of it briefly after my interest in Guild Wars 2 piqued. As far as Arena Net making bold claims concerning Guild Wars 2? These claims are becoming less bold as more players and press are getting their hands on the game and seeing that they are actually more statements than claims.

6. JohnGreasyGamer profile image84
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 5 years ago

I played it a bit, but never really found the MMO part of the game. I mean, the first city you were in had people in it, but outside of it there wasn't a single person, almost as if it were instanced. I'm sure people still play it and it's popularity will peak up when the next game is released, much like Diablo or Spec Ops ^^

1. M. T. Dremer profile image94
      M. T. Dremerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If I'm not mistaken, the overworld was, actually, instanced in the first Guild Wars. I think that's how they got around the subscription fee; the only parts that were truly online were the cities. Then the outside world was instanced for your group.

7. profile image0
    xisnielposted 5 years ago

Well yes, in fact I'm still playing. I love Guild Wars!

working