jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

What do you love and hate about MMORPGs?

1. Stickypony profile image74
    Stickyponyposted 5 years ago

What do you love and hate about MMORPGs?

Millions of people play them and millions of people hate them, what do you think about the game genre mmorpgs?

2. Winterfate profile image95
    Winterfateposted 5 years ago

Well, let's start with what I hate:

- Over-emphasis on grinding: The game's length is artificially stretched between content updates by making it take forever to get anything done, whether it is getting a good item that costs a lot of gold or just leveling up. Even most content is a grind, as most MMORPGs have a lot of tedious fetch quests and kill X of Y thing.

- Pay to win: This only applies to MMORPGs that have microtransaction models. I played Runes of Magic for 3 months and I used to see mages sporting better armor and physical stats than a knight (when the whole point is that the knight is RoM's tank class and the mage is the glass cannon)

About the only thing I love about MMOs is character persistence. It feels good to know that you can return at any time and play the same character in new content. However, the negatives for me are far too many for me to really get into another MMORPG.

3. davidlivermore profile image96
    davidlivermoreposted 5 years ago

Love:  The People.  I like interacting, sharing stories, fighting something together as a team, etc.  Makes for a good, social activity.

Hate:  The People.  People are rude, annoying, and obnoxious online.  Far more than real life.

There are always good people, but with each good person there is a bad one.

1. Winterfate profile image95
      Winterfateposted 5 years agoin reply to this

You can blame the anonymity of the Internet for the negative aspects of people. hmm

Give someone a wall, and they will start doing things they wouldn't do if they were exposed, like in real life.
      Totally agree with the entirety of your answer! smile

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 5 years ago

The thing I love most about MMORPGs is the gear progression. I find that the thing that keeps me going is the hope of getting that cool new piece of armor, or that high damage weapon. It becomes a bit more tedious at the level cap, but it's still my driving force.

My least favorite thing about MMORPGs is the high end pvp. I played warcraft as a max level alliance character for a long time and thought the reason we lost so many battlegrounds was our faction. But then I switched to the horde and we lose just as much. I have no idea how this is possible because both of my servers are in the same battlegroup, but pvp has just become a humiliating chore.

5. allymasongames profile image57
    allymasongamesposted 5 years ago

What I love is the farming process, getting new gear:weapons, new skills etc.
    What I hate - MMORPG consumes a lot of time, I did play world of warcraft for 6 years (sometimes 5-6 hrs a day)

working