jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What Fantasy/Sci-fi book series would make a good RPG?

1. Willsummerdreamer profile image85
    Willsummerdreamerposted 4 years ago

What Fantasy/Sci-fi book series would make a good RPG?

I'm curious. What Fantasy and/ or Sci-fi book series do you guys think would make a good RPG? I'd say the Wheel of Time, Stephen King's Dark Tower series  and The Legend of Drizzt myself.

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 4 years ago

The Enclave by Ann Aguirre.  Three book series, the third to come out summer or fall, I think.  Zombies, dystopian society.  Loved the first two and I think they would make a great RPG.

3. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I thought Drizzt's universe was already an RPG? Wizards of the Coast, or something like that? Terry Pratchett's discworld would be a heck of a lot of fun as an RPG, just because of the off-the-wall humor. The same could be said for Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's guide. Though I'm also a fan of the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind, so it might be fun to see that as an RPG as well.

Willsummerdreamerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Drizzt's universe is a campaign setting for D&D, but I was referring to an RPG that followed his story (or at least had him and his friends as the main characters) in particular. So far, that hasn't happened for some reason.

2. hmclio profile image82
      hmclioposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The Forgotten Realms setting does appear in games such as Baldur's Gate, where Drizzt is an unlockable playable character. But there are no games that actually center around Drizzt's story, unfortunately sad

4. hmclio profile image82
    hmclioposted 4 years ago

I'd love to see some good games based on the Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey for the sci-fi or the Dragonlance campaign settings by Weis & Hickman for the fantasy. Both of these have a good foundation for either an MMORPG or a console-based game with plenty of room for character creation and development while playing through events in the story, or with the option of having game-only events to play through. There are plenty of characters from the multitudes of books written for these series to contribute to a well-developed NPC base while letting the player control his/her own personal character.

Alternately, Inkheart (Cornelia Funke) or Chronicles of Faerie (O.R. Melling) would both be fun and I think an Artemis Fowl game series would be really interesting, but in a more funny way. All three of these series deals with a constant back and forth between two specific, extensive, and detailed worlds (namely, the "real" world, or our world, and the second world- Inkworld, Faerie, or Haven). It would give characters a constantly changing scenery as the game is played through, unlike many RPG games which have a very controlled and encased play world. These games would differ because there would not be a chance for the player to create their own character, but there would be many opportunities to play as any one of the several main characters present at different points in each series.

Interesting question! I've never really thought about my favorite books turning into video games!

Willsummerdreamerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

(Sorry for late reply) Actually now that I think about it, I think there was a Dragonriders of Pern video game on the Dreamcast, don't know if it was an RPG but still. And good choices smile.