Has the strategy video game genre been abandoned?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. EJ Lambert profile image72
    EJ Lambertposted 10 years ago

Has the strategy video game genre been abandoned?

Not long ago the world of video games had a wonderful collection of strategy titles like Command and Conquer, Warcraft, and World in Conflict.  Nowadays the genre has largely dried up aside from a few big annual releases.  Is it dead?  Why or why not?

2. ANDR01D profile image73
    ANDR01Dposted 10 years ago

You're right in a way. Strategy was a big genre back in the 1990's, but nowadays the focus is on FPS (particularly multiplayer like COD) and MMOs/MMORPGs (World of WarCraft).

It's evidently not as popular a genre as it once was, but the ones that come along tend to be quality, as is the case with StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty and StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm.

EJ Lambertposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's just my point.  Some of the more recent titles have been excellent.  Why they haven't pursued it baffles me.

3. Alphadogg16 profile image86
    Alphadogg16posted 10 years ago

I do not think its dead...yet, but it is dying. Nowadays with the all the combat/shooter games like Call of Duty, Ghost Recon, Halo, Gears of War, etc, they are slowly killing the older games.

That's a shame.  Everyone seems so enamored with being on the ground fighting.  I enjoy control the troops, acting like the general figuring out weaknesses in defenses.

4. MPChris profile image63
    MPChrisposted 10 years ago

It is far from dead, my friend.

There are many MMOs that incorporate sandbox elements, which in turn could be strategic. Wurm Online, for example, is big and sprawling. I built a nation there, its fairly interesting and incredibly awesome.

Also, many of the strategy titles have become box-less. Strategy was always a niche genre, and spread by word of mouth. Why waste money and resources on things like box art and advertising, if it will net you fewer fans. In the past, it was almost a requirement of the industry, but with steam, no longer.

Speaking of Steam, go there. Search these titles:

Anno 2070
    Patrician IV
    Crusader Kings 2
    Hearts of Iron 3
    Victoria 2
    Europa Universalis 4

The last four titles come from a company called Paradox Interactive. For the last two years, in my opinion, they've put out good real-time strategy games, and have absolutely dominated the market for grand-scale strategy games. HOI3 or CK2 will be a steep learning curve, but its amazing.

Very familiar with Paradox.  Hearts of Iron II is one of my all time favorites.  I'll have to check out those other titles.

5. Tonyx35 profile image60
    Tonyx35posted 10 years ago

It seems that way doesn't it? While Strategy games are still being released today, it usually doesn't get the marketing dollars Starcraft II being the Exception.  I can't even count how many times I saw the ad for the CO-Shooter "Fuse" while browsing Youtube.  "XCOM:Enemy Unknown" was released late last year and Company of Heroes 2 is supposedly coming out sometime this year.   

I usually only find out about recent Strategy releases via word of mouth, message boards, or in "Top" games lists. I also agree with

MPChris, check out  Steam for strategy games that were quietly released.

I own XCOM and loved it.  I wished there were more like it.  CoH is a title I just got into.  Steam has been my go-to but I still think the genre is under-appreciated.

6. TNT Husky profile image63
    TNT Huskyposted 10 years ago

I wouldn't say it's dead, but most big developers today are jumping the gun (literally) to the shooter genre. It seems like the idea of strategy, planning, and tactics have been replaced by "shoot first, questions later" I feel like we're moving on from this genre, though. perhaps strategy games can come back in the near future. Hopefully, some indie developers make some good ones, because the big companies are going to milk the popularity of shooters until the proverbial cow dies. (not to say the games from larger companies are bad. this is just a matter of opinion.) It could also be that other genres are simply getting more attention.

Sadly video games are like everything else.  Trendy.  Shooters are in right now.  It's a shame because I think both could be used in concert.

7. Souther29 profile image81
    Souther29posted 10 years ago

I agree it's not as big as it used to be but with the recent release of Fire Emblem for the Nintendo 3DS... I make no bones about the fact that this game was a system seller for many, many people. A very good turn based strategy game indeed.

It has become a niche genre... but then in Korea Starcraft is absolutely huge and is all about real time strategy and unit management.

I guess every country has a different preference.

8. Dvd Zermeno Perez profile image85
    Dvd Zermeno Perezposted 10 years ago

The RTS (Real Time Strategy games) has been overwhelmed by the pro gamers, the gamer is always looking for modern and original game, with awesome graphics and epic story as well, some studios and companies cannot compete against the old ones, like Warcraft I-II-III, Starcraft, Age Of Empires, Command and Conquer.
    Also it's not a very easy and popular genre, you need to spend time and learning the tactics to be a pro gamer, and it's easier and more fast phased in a MMO or in a FPS.
    It depends of the gamer and the abilities of the gamer, I personally love the RTS, specially Starcraft 2.

The relentless pursuit of new gamers makes studios forget the old ones.  That sucks and rather unfair to a genre that really helped launch so many successful series.

9. JohnGreasyGamer profile image77
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 10 years ago

On consoles the genre has turned to ice, let alone "its body has gone a wee bit cold", however on PC it thrives and is nowhere near in decline. The thing is though that unless you can make a name known, it will not be replayable for the most part and will not see future sequels. With the shooter genre it's pick up and play, and rarely requires any particular focus, skill, drive or time investment - it's brainless fun, regardless of whether you have a brain or not.

But strategy games are a science, and they require the utmost attention to detail and planning, and this is something even hardcore gamers can't do with, especially if it's not on a keyboard. There's many a strategy game that players can ace within five minutes, but many are put off initially by the fact that they will have to use their heads for a reward that's equal to not doing so.

As I say, this genre is nowhere near in decline on PC, but rather it's taking over the shooter market considerably on computers. It's mostly because PC gamers have had a longer history with them, but you ask any PS1 gamer and they'll have no idea Warcraft II: Dark Saga existed on that console, and that's saying a lot.

Agreed.  To me, part of the exhilaration with RTS games was the work you put in.  You knew if you overwhelmed a base and conquered a map it was because of your strategic thinking.  The payoff is so much better than simply shooting my way to the end.

10. Kitsune87 profile image72
    Kitsune87posted 10 years ago

I don't really think it's dying or been abandoned. I believe it's a merging genre. Not just a plain strategy. Like The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, a mixture of pure action, strategy and team management. Same with XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Although, I am kinda disappointed that The Bureau ditched FPS in favor of a strategy game. But it still looks fun and amazing. And with a brand new Disgaea game on the horizon, strategy games, and strategy/RPG hybrids looks to be coming back. And a brand new Super Robot Taisen strategy game will snake its way onto the PS3. So, I'm kinda in favor that the genre may be returning, even though the genre is merging with other genres.

With the new game, Tiny Token Empires and new Magic the Gathering games, I say it's just a matter of where you look, but I think it's likely the strategy genre will make a comeback. But I do agree, many gamers today prefer action platforming, shooters and RPG's. But since everything is evolving, even genres, I don't think it will ever truly die, but evolve.

I admit XCOM was a pleasant surprise.  I own it now.  My beef is that the genre is not readily available like it used to be.  Now it's mainly Steam or the seldom big titled like Starcraft.

11. ud1093 profile image41
    ud1093posted 10 years ago

I'm a big fan of strategy games but recently no good strategy game has been released people are behind FPS and third person action etc.
    Games like torchlight 2 ,company of heroes 2,Civilization have still kept the name of this genre i don't know what the future will be for strategy games but I wish it has good games to come.

Yeah, it is much thinner than it used to be.  Starcraft 2 is good but can't hold the genre up by itself.

12. Rabidwombat profile image84
    Rabidwombatposted 10 years ago

I love strategy gaming, but I prefer turn based strategy which puts me on the worst side of the unfortunate decline of this genre. There are some companies that are still supporting the strategy genre, like Matrix games and Paradox but they are all PC exclusive.If you prefer gaming on a console with the exception of the new X-Com you are pretty much out of luck. The reality is right now strategy gaming is not the hot topic the way it was, so the big developers will shift to what is hot to keep sales going. I hold out hope that gaming genres such as strategy and role playing will come back to level of popularity they saw in the '90s because I personally have always preferred games that require more thinking then twitching.

I hope and believe it will.  FPS is just the hot choice right now.  In the meantime you should go after Total War Rome II.

13. toptendeals profile image71
    toptendealsposted 10 years ago

RTS has definitely diminished.  But hope is not lost.

To your point some developers are looking elsewhere for funding:
    The team that made Total Annihilation did a kickstarter to make Planetary Annihilation with a goal of $900,000.  They have already received $2.2 million in pledges.

EA is going to try a free-to-play model and release a new C&C soon.

Blizzard continues to make starcraft a great E-sport.  They now have an almost espn like broadcast at http://wcs.battle.net

Total Annihilation is one of my favorite RTS games.  So underrated.  I heard about the new C&C Generals 2.  Very excited.  Starcraft has kept me going.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)