jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

What flight games would you recommend?

1. JohnGreasyGamer profile image85
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 4 years ago

What flight games would you recommend?

If there's one genre I love, it's the flight game genre, or at least the idea of it. But the only one that keeps coming to mind is Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X, so which ones could you name and possibly recommend? I'd sure love to try 'em out!

2. EJ Lambert profile image74
    EJ Lambertposted 4 years ago

HAWX is good but there is no doubt in my mind that the best flight battle games out there are the Ace Combat series.  I still believe Ace Combat 4 to be one of the greatest ever but every title since then has been great as well.  Also, if you're looking for old school prop jobs I recommend the Blazing Angels series.

JohnGreasyGamerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ooh I'd forgotten about Ace Combat! I'll be having a look at them ^^

3. toptendeals profile image80
    toptendealsposted 4 years ago

If you like multiplayer dogfighting, you might check out www.worldofwarplanes.com.  It's free, still in closed beta (but they accepted me in a couple days).  You can fly old and new planes.

JohnGreasyGamerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sounds fantastic! Thanks for the link, I'll check it out now ^^

4. Zakmoonbeam profile image92
    Zakmoonbeamposted 4 years ago

If your after an arcade style experience, then H.A.W.X is good, number 2 much less so.  Ace Combat as stated is pretty much great across the board, but if you want a more realistic experience then check out DCS World.  Its a free download with one plane, the SU-25, to which you can then add paid for modules.  I "ahem" have written a fair bit about the DCS products I own (end of self publicising) and must say that they are fantastic. 

That being said, don't expect to jump in and start blowing stuff up, there is a fair bit of a learning curve.

Rise of Flight takes combat flight old skool to WWI, hooning about in bi-planes and tri-planes, great fun.

Also worth a look is the Strike Fighters 2 range, more a combat flight sim "lite" approach but with more realistic flight models and scenarios than Ace Combat and HAWX.  Nice dynamic campaigns too and fairly cheap.

These are PC only, so console wise its back to those mentioned already.

Oh, and for online only I would choose War Thunder over World of Warplanes, better graphics, better feel to the aircraft, and last time I checked, WoW had no in cockpit view, just a cross hair style viewpoint which ruined the immersion for me, but I stand to be corrected if that's something they have added.

working