jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What genre of game do you enjoy playing the most?

1. RPGDude77 profile image61
    RPGDude77posted 4 years ago

What genre of game do you enjoy playing the most?

My personal favorite are RPGs, because of the freedom to play how you like (most of the time), and the amount of time you can play the game and still have fun.

2. junkseller profile image84
    junksellerposted 4 years ago

I guess my favorite would be RPGs, though I sometimes get a little confused exactly which genre is which. Probably my favorite game of all time was Baldur's Gate. followed by Fallout 1 and 2, if that gives a better indication.

After that would come strategy games: Civilization, for example. Unfortunately I don't really play games on the PC anymore, and the console offerings for RPG and, especially, strategy games are lacking (in my opinion). Dragon Age was pretty good (though better on the PC). So was Fallout 3 and Borderlands, but still nothing that comes close to Baldur's Gate. Maybe I'm just hopelessly old school.

3. JohnGreasyGamer profile image84
    JohnGreasyGamerposted 4 years ago

I don't really have a favourite. RPGs are fantastic provided there's genuine roleplay, levelling up, great quest rewards and ways of changing the world based on your actions. Those kinds of things make me feel as though I'm actually achieving something in the game and not only is it sentimental, I can see the results for myself.

Strategy games are also good, but what I like now is to melt my brain with mindless shooters. Some games like Rainbow Six where basic brain function is required I like, but other times I like 'duck 'n' pop' gameplay to sate my laziness.

But my heart lies in platform gaming. The genre was dominant years ago and went into a slow and painful decline. It had such great titles which even now I play on a regular basis and not for rewards and entitlement but simple fun. Today it's proving popular by advancements in the Super Mario franchises, Ubisoft's reworking of the Rayman series and new games are coming to the block with confidence, especially now that Indie gaming has developed so much in short time.

4. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

My favorite are the ones which involve solving puzzles. The Myst series was probably my favorite. I also enjoy playing the CSI games.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image96
    M. T. Dremerposted 4 years ago

I tend to like puzzle solving adventure games like The Legend of Zelda or Tomb Raider. Though I've noticed that I can enjoy any game so long as it has a healthy amount of unlockable content. I played the heck out of games like Sonic Adventure, Super Smash Bros, burnout 3 and Tomb Raider Legend, not because I was obsessed with the genre, but because they offered reasons to keep playing. There is nothing sadder than beating a game and discovering there is nothing to go back and unlock. Or worse, it's all DLC and you have to pay to get it.