jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

How many possible Sudoku puzzles are there?

1. jonnycomelately profile image82
    jonnycomelatelyposted 2 years ago

How many possible Sudoku puzzles are there?

How many possible permutations are there for the single Sudoku puzzle?
    81 x 81 x 81? (That would be 531441)
    I get the feeling there is more to it than that. 
    But following on from whatever the answer is, and knowing that so many newspapers print at least one Sudoku puzzle each week, what are the chances of a particular permutation being shown in more than one newspaper, assuming each newspaper has a different source?

2. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 2 years ago

I have no idea said with a smile. Quite honestly I had never heard of this puzzle until reading your post. Mind boggling to say the least for me after reading about it at Wiki. I will have to read it again as I really do not understand it yet. So, while I am happy to learn about it again I cannot answer the question :-)

1. jonnycomelately profile image82
      jonnycomelatelyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Tim.  Sudoka is not in fact mathematical.  The symbols 1 through 9 are used because we can all recognise them.  You do the puzzle equally well by substituing a set of letters.

3. SimilarSam profile image77
    SimilarSamposted 2 years ago

According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku#Mat … _of_Sudoku) it is 6,670,903,752,021,072,936,960

Which is an insane number!

4. moisesbebe profile image60
    moisesbebeposted 2 years ago

No tengo la respuesta, pero sin lugar a duda en uno de los mejores pasatiempos que se han inventado, yo lo paso genial haciendo sudokus

working