Should You Turn a Hobby into a Full-time Job?

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image84
    Jacqueline4390posted 2 years ago

Should You Turn a Hobby into a Full-time Job?

I have been having lots of fun creating all types of scarves and handkerchiefs. The best part of it is when I add a monogram or small picture at the bottom. I've been getting lots of compliments and people asking me to make one for them. The only problem is once it becomes a job; I am not sure that I will enjoy it as much. Should an enjoyable hobby become a job?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12409739_f260.jpg

2. neildabb profile image76
    neildabbposted 2 years ago

It depends...

When starting any business it is a good idea to do some research.  Is there a market (beyond friends and family) for your product?  What kind of competition is there?  Will the money be enough to cover expenses with some left over?

To answer the question of if you will still enjoy it when it becomes work.  Put deadlines on your work and work several projects in quick succession.  If you still enjoy the work you're probably fine.

I recently started a technical writing business (DragonTech Writing).  I'd been a freelance writer on the side for many years and did my research, and when I did get a client, it was still fun, but it was a lot of work too (and only part of it was the hobby I'd hoped to turn into a business).

Good Luck!

1. Jacqueline4390 profile image84
      Jacqueline4390posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your great advise. My graphics business is similar to a roller coaster ride but I still love it. However, it was never a real hobby.

working