jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Can I turn my painting/drawing hobby into a succesful business?

1. oanaroman profile image59
    oanaromanposted 6 years ago

Can I turn my painting/drawing hobby into a succesful business?

Is it possible to earn money by doing something you really enjoy? Can business and pleasure work together?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/5085925_f260.jpg

2. Ashantina profile image60
    Ashantinaposted 6 years ago

.....of course you "can".
    The question is do you believe you... can?

3. brsmom68 profile image88
    brsmom68posted 6 years ago

Turning one's hobby into a source of income is a dream for many.  In order to be successful at it though, you have to budget your time just as with any other job.  When you enjoy what you do, it doesn't seem like a job.

Along with creating your art, you will also have to market it and keep accurate financial records...all the tasks that go with a small business.  Keeping records isn't that complicated; just be sure to keep all receipts for purchases related to your craft.  If you will be working from home, you will also be able to claim a portion of your household expenses (rent, mortgage, utilities, insurance) as a business expense.  Also keep accurate records of income from pieces sold; this way you will soon be able to tell if your craft is paying the bills or if it is simply keeping you occupied.

In today's world of internet, it is relatively easy to showcase your crafts.  Sites such as Kijiji, ebay, etsy, and InfoMall are all reputable places to advertise your craft.  Some are free, others charge a nominal fee.  (If paying a fee for advertising, remember to keep your receipts.)  Also don't forget about the traditional Flea Markets, Farmer's Markets and Trade Shows.

The answer to your question...yes, provided you produce quality work and have some basic business skills.  Good luck and may your business prosper!

4. Financial Help profile image61
    Financial Helpposted 6 years ago

The easy answer is yes absolutely. Owning a business is all about finding your passion. Once you find your passion, you find a product. Which you have, now you just need marketing training and you are on your way to success. I have a few hubs that might help you and I'm the marketing adviser for Wealth Creations Network. It's free to join and I teach you every thing you need to know without asking you for a penny.

5. platinumOwl4 profile image75
    platinumOwl4posted 6 years ago

Yes, I believe you can turn your work into a profitable business. The internet is a great place to market your work. If I was an artistic person I would find  a website to post my work then, create a need for my work.

6. Pintoman profile image59
    Pintomanposted 6 years ago

If that's your painting posted I would say yes you can. The real question is do you want to turn something you love into a full time job? Prepare to take on more responsibilities associated with it being a job. I think "Financial Help" (commenter, and hubber) would be a good place to start.

7. peachpurple profile image83
    peachpurpleposted 3 years ago

yes, if you are talented and you have tried selling yr art to your friends or family members, then you can think of selling at etsy or amazon

8. profile image58
    Scarlet Jenningsposted 7 months ago

Hi scarlet,
    I want to say that you are awesome and talented, you can turn this into a bussiness, easily through Essay, or Amazon and start selling.

or you can brand yourself in high authority home interior design websites, like https://www.decorationy.com/

working