jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

What video game changed your life or the way you viewed the world?

1. Zeron87 profile image99
    Zeron87posted 3 months ago

What video game changed your life or the way you viewed the world?

My answer is Xenogears.  The game to me was not only as perfect as a game could be, but gave me something I never experienced until the first day I played it:  A mature story bold enough to blend Christian themes with psychology, science, and questions about existence.  But the game wasn't just bold in its endeavor:  It did what it did well.  Through its gameplay, I learned how rich a story could be, and always dreamed of creating a world as intricate and beautiful as the one in Xenogears.   

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13765914_f260.jpg

2. easylearningweb profile image92
    easylearningwebposted 3 months ago

Good question, my answer is a game from many years ago, it's a simple but addictive game called Space Invaders, played in arcades before home game systems became popular. Fun and simple vintage game.

Also, there are 2 games I played growing up on my first computer (Commidite 64!) one was called Below The Root (adventure survival game)  and then there's the old classic Dr. Jay and Larry Bird basketball game, the best). :-)

Zeron87posted 2 months agoin reply to this

Thanks for your answer, Amelia Griggs!  I remember Space Invaders myself.  There's just something simple yet appealing about old-school games.  Maybe peeling away the graphics gives one a more pure gaming experience?

3. tsmog profile image83
    tsmogposted 3 months ago

Interesting question. The game that I was most enthusiastic about was Pac-Man. A lesson I feel I learned was not to chase ghosts and focus on the mazes. Yes, the ghosts did mean more points, but working through the mazes ultimately led to more gains. In other words, don't let the little things distract you from the goal.

Interesting answer, Tim.  Seeing a message in the game mechanics itself.  I forgot we could do that with video games.  It reminds me of those T-shirts with a Mario mushroom and free-man on them stating:  Grow up; Get a life.  Thanks for your input!

4. satomko profile image92
    satomkoposted 3 months ago

Fallout 3.  I'm not sure if "life changing" is the best descriptor, but it remains one of my all time favorite games because of the sheer possibilities that the game presented and its use of multiple kinds of story-telling techniques.  It ranks with Final Fantasy Tactics, Chrono Trigger, Bioshock, The Witcher 3, and Dark Souls as video games that convince me the whole medium is a legitimate enterprise of artistic and narrative expression.

Thanks for your answer, Seth Tomko!  I also agree video games have well moved beyond sources of entertainment because of their ability to elicit powerful emotions from us, and to sometimes even make us think deeper about the world.

5. sarahspicexo profile image75
    sarahspicexoposted 2 months ago

World of Warcraft... changed my life? hmm rather consumed it... like literally. 8 years wasted in virtual world. I mean i still play video and online games but not like I used to play WoW - day in, day out.
    I'm staying away from all MMORPG since then, including some of my favorite MMJRPG games...

working