Premature Gray Hair: Causes:Treatment
There are several causes of premature gray hair,The age at which your hair starts to turn gray depends on your genetic inheritance. Gray hair before 35 is considered to be premature graying. Gray hair is due the lack of pigmentation. Several home remedies for gray hair are available.
Premature greying could be due to a variety of reasons.
- Chronic cold and sinusitis
- Frequent washing of hair with warm water
- Lack of vitamin B, iodine, copper and iron
- Unclean hair
- Drying with an electric dryer
- Use of hair dyes
- Cigarette smoking
- Stress and acute depression
- Strong and toxic drugs
- Over consumption of coffee and tea
- Excessive quantities of alcohol
Stress and Gray Hair
A protein called melanin contained by hair is responsible for hair color. A darker melanin results in results in darker hair. According to Ralf Paus, Professor of dermatology at the University Hospital of Shleswig- Holstein in Germany, stress hormones could produce inflammation that drives the production of free radicals. These radicals could induce the bleaching of melanin.
Home Remedies for Gray Hair
- Amla hair oil is a very good home remedy for gray hair. Amla hair oil can be prepared at home by adding Indian gooseberry juice to coconut oil. This mixture should be boiled for some time. Then the oil should be massaged to the scalp.
- Eating curry leaves is also beneficial to prevent gray hair. It strengthens the hair roots.
- Curry leaves can be boiled in coconut oil and applied as a tonic to the hair. This will stimulate hair growth and restore pigmentation
- Add few drops of lemon juice to coconut oil and massage it to the hair and scalp. It can be washed off after 30 minutes.
- Mix henna powder with castor oil and make it into a thick paste. Add a few drops of lemon juice to it. Rub this paste your scalp. Wash it off after one hour.
- Cut ribbed gourd into small pieces and dry it under the sun. Soak these pieces in a small quantity of coconut oil for about a week. Then boil the mixture off till it turns to a black residue. Rub this residue to your scalp and wash it off after an hour.
Prevent Premature Gray Hair with Food
Foods rich in iodine and proteins like fruits, meat, seafood, poultry and diary products are of help. Foods rich in folic acid like chicken, legumes, soya beans, broccoli, cabbages, banana, nuts and peas prevent premature graying. Leafy green vegetables, rice, cereals, oatmeal and pasta which are rich in iron are also of immense help.
Regular exercises can help to relieve stress. Yoga and meditation are very helpful.
These gray hair home remedies can help you to retain the natural color of your hair for a longer time.