Exercise at Desk - How to Keep Fit While You Work
Options for Desk Exercise
Keeping fit while spending hours at a desk can be a challenge. But it doesn't have to be.
You can do exercise at desk in a variety of ways, from basic stretches and exercises that need no equipment, to simple under-desk equipment such as mini steppers or bike pedalers, to larger and more expensive options such as an exercise desk/bike combo. The choice is yours.
Desk Exercise Books
FitDesk Exercise Desk Bike
FitDesk Exercise Bike
Simple Under-Desk Exercises
The easiest, cheapest way to do desk exercise is to simply learn a few techniques to stretch and strengthen your muscles while you're sitting. Here are few to get you started. You can also buy books that offer a greater selection of desk exercises so you'll have a variety of exercises to prevent boredom.
- Grasp the arms of your chair with both hands and slowly lift yourself off
the chair. Lower yourself back down, stopping just short of the seat, and hold for two seconds. Repeat this move 10-15 times.
- Hold an object such as a water bottle in your hands at chest level. Keep your knees and hips facing forward and gently twist as far left as you comfortably can. Then twist back to the center and repeat 10 times on that side. Then switch and twist to the other side 10 times.
- While seated in your chair, lift one leg and extend it out
straight. Hold it out straight for two seconds, and then lower your leg until your foot
is not quite touching the floor. Hold for three more seconds. Repeat this exercise 15
times and then switch legs.
- Sit up straight in your chair and move your shoulders, trying to touch your shoulder blades together. Hold for two seconds, relax and repeat several times.
- With one hand on each side, hold on to the seat of your desk chair and extend both of your legs until they are parallel to the floor. Point and flex your toes five times, then lower your legs. Repeat 10-15 times
Mini Under-Desk Exercise Equipment
SurfShelf Turns Any Treadmill into an Exercise Desk
Desk Exercise Equipment
If you're tired of doing the basic exercise at desk and want to try something a little more strenuous or aerobic, there are a variety of ways to keep fit while working. The most affordable options are under-desk exercise machines, such as mini steppers, mini elliptical machines and mini bikes. You can pick up any of these exercise machines for less than $100 and they fit easily under your desk, so you can pedal or step without ever leaving your chair or disturbing your coworkers.
More advanced options include items such as the Sit to Walkstation, which has a treadmill built in to a computer desk. But unless your employer is going to fork out the $4500 fee for this desk and allow you to put it in the office, this option is out of reach for most people.
Most affordable options that your employer might allow or which you can use at home include the $40 SurfShelf, a device that lets you attach your laptop to a treadmill or other exercise machines, or the FitDesk, a $200 exercise bike/desk that has a shelf for your laptop.
Which one is best for you will depend on your budget, your available space and the type of exercise you prefer. But any of them will help you exercise at your desk!
Exercise at Your Desk Video
More pages by lisa42
- FitDesk Exercise Desk & Bike Review
I've finally found a good way to exercise while I work. As I'm typing this review, I'm sitting on my new FitDesk exercise desk/bike. Well, sitting isn't the proper word. I'm actually pedaling - really...
- How to Watch Movies from Computer on TV
If you have a newer desktop or laptop computer and an HDTV, chances are you can easily hook it up to your TV and watch movies from the computer on TV. What, exactly, do I mean by
- The Best Environmental Sunscreen Choices: Save Coral Reefs and Your Skin
Each year, 4000 - 6000 metric tons of sunscreen wash off swimmers and into the ocean. These sunscreens may be killing our coral reefs.
- Why Choose Toothpastes Without Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Want to avoid or cut down on canker sores? Then consider switching to toothpastes without sodium lauryl sulfate.
- Inspirational Motivational Posters
I recently went looking for some inspirational, motivational posters to hang by my desk and inspire me while I work. While some people have parodied these types of posters, I like them because the photography...
- Where to Find Pet Friendly Rentals in Florida
If you're looking for Florida pet-friendly rentals, here are three sites that can help you out.
- How to Add AdSense to WordPress
WordPress is a great blogging application. If you want to use it for profit and not just pleasure, you'll probably want to include advertising such as Google AdSense. But how do you add AdSense to WordPress? This page will tell you how.