- Diet & Weight Loss
How to Lose 20 Pounds in 20 Weeks and Keep It off
How to Lose Twenty Pounds in Twenty Weeks and Keep it Off
If you are like me, you probably put on some weight over the winter. There were larger meals at Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter and plenty of treats around the house to snack on.
In fact it may have started even earlier, when the weather got colder and you spent less time outside and more time inside watching television. It is almost summer and all of your clothes are tight and your New Year’s resolution is to lose weight,has long been forgotten.
Remember last year, when you had a similar problem, and you decided to go on a crash diet? You quickly lost a few pounds (probably mostly water) and then you got tired of starving yourself and gradually quit dieting. You may even have gained back the few pounds that you lost. You don’t want to make the same mistake this year. Instead of changing your eating pattern drastically, you need to gradually modify your eating habits so that after you have lost the desired amount of weight, you will keep it off.
More than thirty years ago I learned this lesson by trial and error when I had to lose 125 pounds for health reasons. The story of how this occurred was told in my hub entitled Introduction to the Elimination Weight Loss Diet. To make a long story short, I learned that if you simply eliminate 500 calories per day from what you normally eat, you will gradually lose one pound a week.
The best part is that you get to pick which foods to eliminate. While you are losing this weight you will also be modifying your eating habits too, so that you will be able to keep from gaining back the weight simply by continuing to do what you are already doing. The details of why this works is given in my hub Chapter 3 Why Does It work?
I am in the process of publishing a series of twenty chapters on how the Elimination Weight Loss Diet works. The series begins with Chapter 1 How to Lose Weight and Keep it Off Successfully. You can begin with this chapter if you want to learn more details on how it works.
The balance of this article is a concise description of how to start losing twenty pounds in twenty weeks. To make this happen you will need three things: motivation, determination and patience.
What Do You Need to Do?
- Obtain a scale that weighs to a tenth of a pound.
- Pick a day of the week and weigh yourself once a week wearing the same clothing the first thing in the morning after using the bathroom.
- Record your weight on a chart to the nearest tenth of a pound.
- Get rid of any leftover treats from the holidays.
- Review what you normally eat every day and select 500 calories worth of food to eliminate. If you have trouble selecting items, try simply reducing portions to equal 500 calories per day
- Try to remain active. Take walks, take up bowling, clean the house – don’t just sit there.
- Be patient. Because of water retention, weight loss will vary from week to week. The important thing is the long-term trend.
- If it looks like you aren’t losing quite a pound a week, subtract 200 more calories every day. You might have miscalculated the calories the first time or you might not have started from a stable state.
At this point I recommend that you read my hub, Chapter 20 Top Ten Things to Remember. Always remember that you will need motivation, determination and patience if you want to lose weight and keep it off.
The Elimination Weight Loss Diet
- Introduction to the Elimination Weight Loss Diet - H...
The lessons learned from 60 years of dieting resulted in The Elimination Weight Loss Diet - How to lose weight and keep it off by gradually modifying your eating habits. After a brief introduction, the table of contents is listed with links to those
- The Elimination Weight Loss Diet - How to Lose Weigh...
Chapter 1 of The Elimination Weight Loss Diet explains why most diets fail to help you to lose weight and to keep it off. Most diets require you to eat food that you don't like, to count calories, to weigh portions or to buy special meals. As soon as
- What Is Different About the Elimination Weight Loss ...
- The Elimination Weight Loss Diet - How Do I Get Star...
The Elimination Weight Loss Diet not only enables you to lose one pound a week, but it gradually modifies your eating habits so that you keep it off once you reach your target weight. Chapter 4 of The Elimination Weight Loss Diet lists the steps requ
- The Elimination Weight Loss Diet - Why Does It Work?...
Chapter 3 of The Elimination Weight Loss Diet explains why this diet works. There are 3500 calories in one pound of fat, so eliminating 500 calories a day eliminates 3500 calories a week or one pound of fat per week. You can repeat this process as of
- The Elimination Weight Loss Diet - Why Should I Char...
Chapter 7 of The Elimination Weight Loss Diet explains why it is best if you can chart your weight in graphical form. Studies have shown that the eye is far mor sensitive to patterns and changes when looking at a graph rather than simply reading a li
- The Elimination Weight Loss Diet - Why Weigh Yoursel...
The Elimination Weight Loss Diet (Chapter 6) explains why you should only weigh yourself once a week, on the same day and time, wearing the same clothing. This minimizes the confusion caused by random water retention and prevents you from getting dis
- The Elimination Weight Loss Diet - What If I Don't L...
Charter 8 of The Elimination Weight Loss Diet covers what you should do if you don't lose weight right away. If you don't lose at least two pounds in three weeks, you should consider eliminating additional calories from your daily intake. This hub co
- The Elimination Weight Loss Diet - Exercise and Weig...
Chapter 10 of The Elimination Weight Loss Diet discusses the positive results of combining moderate exercise with dieting to improve your overall health. However, you should never try to use exercise in place of eliminating calories. When you quit ex
- The Elimination Weight Loss Diet-Top Ten Things to R...
The Elimination Weight Loss Diet shows you how to lose one pound a week by simply eliminating 500 calories a day.The author lists the top ten things to remember when using