Letters to YOU: "How to set personal life goals?"
Have you ever met people on their life journey without an actual destination? Are you one of these people? Have you ever set goals in the past and failed to achieve them? Goal setting is a process of thinking about your future and turning dreams into reality. This process stimulates your thinking, clarifies your priorities and gives you a sense of your life purpose. Knowing what you want to achieve, makes you think of various to achieve it and to overcome obstacles. All top achievers – politicians, business or sports people – set goals. Achieving your goals boosts your self-confidence, self-esteem and self-belief. Goal-setting process separates important things from irrelevant. Celebrate your triumph.
- Start with a reality check. Be honest where you stand now. Think what you want to achieve in the next year, ten years and in your lifetime. Goal setting is all about building the bridge between present and future. Set big and clear goals. Make sure the goals are your ambitions and not someone else’s expectations. After all, you are the one who will be working towards achieving them.
- Write down your goals. Don’t just say out loud what you want. Make it formal – write it down! Goals must be positive and put a smile on your face as you are reading them. Positive goals give you the right attitude to succeed. You should be moving toward your goal, not moving away from it. For example “I want to earn three times more by the end of the year” is a ‘moving towards’ goal. Whereas, “I don’t want to be poor ” is ‘moving away from’ goal. It’s much easier to move towards the goal, as it is 100% motivating.
- Set your goals in various areas of life – career, relationships, health & well-being, spirituality, friends & family etc. The only way to achieve well-balanced life is to be satisfied in every area. Set a few goals for every important area of your life. You are capable of achieving multiple goals in the same category.
- Prioritise your goals. You don’t want to burnout from trying to achieve all your life goals at once. Think what’s important to you today and start working towards it. Break down bigger goals into smaller ones. Small goals are easier to achieve. These small achievements will keep you motivated and keep you on the right track. Your goals should be memorable, motivating and meaningful.
- Always stay in touch with your desires and ambitions. Various people – colleagues, family or media – can put pressure on you to achieve something unrealistic. Just bear in mind that your goals should be realistic and measurable. How will you know that you've got what you wanted? How will it make you feel?
- Come up with an action plan. It’s great having a goal in mind. There must be at least one thing you can do today, which will bring you closer to success.
Be healthy, happy and wealthy…. and Remember: ““I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”
Always by your side,