Top MEDICAL Reasons NOT to Have Children
The downside that doesn't go away after 18 years...
If you've read Top Medical Reasons to Have Children, here is the other side of the coin.
Did you know that there are a medical risks associated with having children?
Studies have shown that having children may be associated with:
- Increased risk of hemorrhagic stroke, ischemic stroke, and heart disease.
- Increased risk of renal cancer.
- Increased risk of autoimmune thyroid disease.
- Decreased bone mineral density.
- Having 4 or more children is associated with higher mortality from breast cancer than having just one child. So although having children is associated with lower rates of breast cancer than not having children, those who have more than 4 children are at greater risk than those who have just one.
- Having children AND not breastfeeding increases your risk for Type II Diabetes by approximately 50%.
Books about having children
- Parity and risk of stroke: Fetal origins of adult disease? Neurology - Volume 74, Issue 18 (May 2010)
- Parity in relation to survival following breast cancer. - Butt S - Eur J Surg Oncol - 01-JUL-2009; 35(7): 702-8
- Parity, breastfeeding, and the subsequent risk of maternal type 2 diabetes. - Liu B - Diabetes Care - 01-JUN-2010; 33(6): 1239-41
- Influence of parity on bone mineral density and peripheral fracture risk in Moroccan postmenopausal women. - Allali F - Maturitas - 20-AUG-2007; 57(4): 392-8
- Association between parity and autoimmune thyroiditis in a general female population. - Friedrich N - Autoimmunity - 01-MAR-2008; 41(2): 174-80
- A cohort study of reproductive and hormonal factors and renal cell cancer risk in women. - Kabat GC - Br J Cancer - 12-MAR-2007; 96(5): 845-9