- Personal Health Information & Self-Help
Why Quit Smoking?
Health Benefits of Quitting Smoking
The benefits of quitting smoking affect more than just your health. The impact on your family, finances and confidence are other reasons to quit smoking.
Why quit smoking?
• 50% of life time smokers will die as a direct cause of smoking, half of these deaths will happen in middle age.
• In younger people three quarters of deaths from heart disease are directly due to smoking.
• Tobacco smoke contains over 4000 chemicals, at least 50 are known to cause cancer and many are harmful in other ways. Cigarettes are one of only a handful of products sold legally which can harm you if used as intended.
• Smoking related residential fires result in more deaths than any other type of residential fire. One quarter of the victims is not the original smoker who caused the fire.
• Children whose parents smoke are much more likely to suffer from serious health issues such as bronchitis, asthma and pneumonia. They are likely to become smokers themselves later in life.
That is just a handful of reasons why you should quit smoking without going into detail about the huge range of health problems and diseases smoking causes.
There are many benefits of quitting smoking and you will have an immediate good impact on your health when you decide to take your last puff.
• After 20 minutes your pulse and blood pressure returns to normal
• In 8 hours carbon monoxide and nicotine levels are reduced by half and oxygen levels return to normal
• 24 hours after quitting smoking carbon monoxide is totally eliminated from the body and your lungs start to clear out tar, mucous and other smoking related debris
• Within 48 hours your ability to taste and smell is vastly improved and you can enjoy your food once more. Remaining nicotine has left the body.
• In 3 days your breathing becomes easier and your energy levels increase.
• Up to 12 weeks your circulation improves.
• 3-9 months after quitting smoking breathing problems improve as your lung capacity is increased by 10%
• Within 5 years your risk of heart attacks decrease by 50%
• After 10 years your risk of having a heart attack is decreased by 100% and the likelihood of getting lung cancer falls to about half of that of a smoker.
You Can Quit Smoking
Discover Your Personal Reason to Quit Smoking
Most smokers are aware of why they should quit smoking and preaching health benefits of quitting smoking is not enough to overcome the psychological barriers to quitting. Smokers have a much greater chance of successfully quitting if their reasons to quit smoking are personal to them.
To help prepare your personal reasons here are more benefits of quitting smoking.
1. Are you and your partner trying for a baby? The impact on your fertility and your baby is a good reason to quit smoking.
• Women who smoke take longer to conceive and are more likely to suffer a miscarriage.
• Men may suffer from impotence as smoking can damage the blood vessels in the penis. Additionally sperm quality and density are much lower than that of a non-smoker making it less likely for your partner to conceive.
• Babies whose mother smoked during pregnancy are more likely to be stillborn, born prematurely or die shortly after birth. A baby exposed to smoky environment is more likely to die from cot death.
2. Are you struggling financially? Your reason to quit smoking could be related to saving money.
Smoking is a major drain on your finances. Work out how much you can save by not buying a pack of 20 (or more!) cigarettes daily. Add how much you will save on cheaper life insurance and decreased medical costs.
3. Do you need to get fit, why stop smoking?
Smoking makes it harder to exercise and severely reduces the benefits of exercise on your body. Smokers have more colds and coughs than non-smokers and take longer to recover from mild illnesses
4. Perhaps your personal reason to quit smoking is to prove you can succeed in taking control of your life. Quitting smoking is a major achievement and will help you have more confidence and self belief.
Just a few benefits of quitting smoking are listed here to help you prepare your personal reasons to quit. Thousands of people successfully stop smoking every day worldwide, perhaps today is your day.