Ericdierker profile image 82

What is the difference between the ego and self?

Seems to me most articles dealing with the ego, just start out with everyone knowing what the writer means. Same for articles on self. What is the difference?

Freddy Rainier profile image71

Josh Cantrell (Freddy Rainier) says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 14 months ago

So you think that when we say ego it means the negative portion of the self?

Dana Tate profile image91

Dana Tate says

• Ericdierker profile image

Yes Dana, it seems that really for the ego to mean something negative you have to put a modifier on it. I was wondering why it gets such a bad wrap when we all have one.

• Ericdierker profile image

I am beginning to think that we use ego to mean that part of self that is for everyone else. And in that I think we can make real progress with our self by tempering it both rationally and spiritually. I am so mellow I might need to boost my ego ;-)

• Ericdierker profile image

Wow Tim that is excellent. I kind of like the Mead concept. I definitely interact with me. Me and I love to converse. I always loved Cogito Ergo Sum. And I find the Great I Am intriguing. So I have an ego. And it is part of self.

Sparklea profile image76

Sparklea says

• Ericdierker profile image

Sparlea, it is good to hear from you. I can tell you are doing well and that is good. I googled it also. It seems that ego really just is, Too much is bad. Too little is bad. But it does seem just about the same as "self". Thank you.