jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

juice fast

1. healthylife2 profile image94
    healthylife2posted 5 years ago

Has anyone attempted a juice fast? If so how long did you do it and did you experience any health benefits?

1. Pearldiver profile image88
      Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Personally... I prefer slower juices.

The 'health' benefits tend to be that they are far easier to catch than the fast ones big_smile
      I also know of several people who have been savaged this season by fast, ripe Blackberries while attempting to gather them for pies....  lol

healthylife2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

HaHaHa Pearldiver! I'll have to try the slower juices since I'm not a fast runner.

2. relache profile image86
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Juice fasts can be very unhealthy.  Many juicing processes take the beneficial fiber out of the fruit in the process.  Also, drinking juice instead of eating fruit results in ingesting a lot of concentrate sugars, even if you are making your own homemade juice.

You'd do better to actually eat all the fruit in its whole form and drink water.

3. healthylife2 profile image94
    healthylife2posted 5 years ago

relache...I  completely agree if it is a fruit juice fast. I should have clarified but was planning on a vegetable juice only fast for a few days.

4. BlissfulWriter profile image83
    BlissfulWriterposted 5 years ago

I also agree with relache that juice fast is not particularly a good idea.   Better to eat the whole food.  And restricting calories is not the best way to lose weight.  For weight lost, probably best to restrict carbohydrates.   A juice fast does not supply enough protein that is needed on a daily basis.  It is true that vegetables have some protein, but not "complete protein" and not enough.   It also does not have enough essential fatty acids such as omega-3.

healthylife2posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Omega 3 supplements can be taken and less protein over a 5-7 day period probably is not harmful I'm looking at it more as a health benefit rather than for weight loss. Many people fast to heal. They say they have so much more energy but I would have to try it to see if that theory holds up.

5. Wellnessinrva profile image61
    Wellnessinrvaposted 4 years ago

I like to mix smoothies with soy protein powder, blueberries and bananas in with my juice fasts and I feel amazing after a 3-6 day regimen. I use a macerating juicer to get the most nutrients and add some of the pulp back to get the fiber.  I also put my juice in the blender after I am done juicing with an avocado to get the healthy fats.  I also drink alot of water and herbal tea.  I never feel deprived and my skin looks great!

healthylife2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for that response Wellnessinrva! A six day juice fast sounds possible and great skin is an awesome benefit! Good idea to throw an avocado in.

1. Horatio Plot profile image82
        Horatio Plotposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Remember to take that big pip thing out though. It'll do the blade no favours.

working