If you haven’t entered yet menopause, but are schedule to have hysterectomy you are probably wondering if there is any connection between the two.
Hysterectomy which is the removal of uterus is the second most common surgery among women. The uterus is the organ in the lower abdomen where the baby develops when the women is pregnant. And it’s the uterus that is removed during the hysterectomy.
The ovaries, which produce eggs and women’s hormones, may also be removed. This combination is called hysterectomy and oophorectomy.
Doctors decide that hysterectomy should be performed for number of reasons. In only 10% of cases the procedure is done to treat cancer of the reproductive organs. Remaining 90% of hysterectomy are performed for non cancerous conditions. Among them is endometriosis, where uterus tissue grows outside the uterus, often leading chronic pain.
Women who have fibroid, which are non cancerous tumors on the womb, often need hysterectomy as well, because the condition may cause severe pain or bleeding.
Whatever the reason for hysterectomy, the removal of the uterus itself does not trigger the start of menopause.
This is confusing for many patients’, because menopause is technically defined as the secession of menstrual 12 consecutive months. Yet women who undergo hysterectomy will stop menstruating immediately after the procedure.
However menopause begins when ovaries produce less estrogen and progesterone. Woman, who had hysterectomy, still have their ovaries. They will not undergo menopause until their hormone production slows naturally as they age.
It is important to understand that women, who have had oophorectomy, are in the different situation. When ovaries are removed along with uterus, hormone production will stop and menopause will begin immediately after the surgery.
If your doctor decides that you are good candidate for hysterectomy or oophorectomy, make sure you discuss the procedures short and long term effects on your body.
<promotional links snipped - do not post outside promotional links in the Forums>
by nikki1 8 years ago
by preweb 4 years ago
How common are fibroids in uterus. Are they curable? Can fibroids be cancerous?
by KRC 22 months ago
I'm having a full hysterectomy on Monday and wondered what advice others have regarding recovery, hormonal issues, etc.It's not something I'm nervous about at all. In fact, I'm very much looking forward to it. I have yet to meet someone who advices against it. Everyone I've talked...
by GH Price 12 months ago
Menopause hot flashes at a regular time every day?Although I am a little young for this, I think I may at least be perimenopausal (I was a VERY early bloomer.) . Among other symptoms are these freaking hot flashes. They're not ruining my life (yet) but, for the last few weeks, I start to feel like...
by Annette Thomas 14 months ago
What is the connection between paranormal activity and real demonic activity? Or is there?I've always associated the paranormal with the powers of darkness, meaning the work of satan. However, supernatural incidents do happen, for real. Even in the Bible. Any input?
by Team Wiseman 3 years ago
Many pagan religious groups are possibly using crystal meth as a way to "Be Enlightened" into the spiritual realm. This connection is exposed in an article called The Truth about Crystal Meth, Withcraft and Demons. I wonder what you think... is there really a connection and do you have a...
Copyright © 2018 HubPages Inc. and respective owners. Other product and company names shown may be trademarks of their respective owners. HubPages® is a registered Service Mark of HubPages, Inc. HubPages and Hubbers (authors) may earn revenue on this page based on affiliate relationships and advertisements with partners including Amazon, Google, and others.
|HubPages Device ID||This is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.|
|Login||This is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.|
|HubPages Traffic Pixel||This is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.|
|Remarketing Pixels||We may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.|
|Conversion Tracking Pixels||We may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.|