jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (6 posts)

Help me quit smoking

1. ptosis profile image82
    ptosisposted 4 weeks ago

Why do I smoke cigarettes knowing they are bad for me?
    I only smoke at home, near a window, with beer.
    It's a disgusting habit and makes me smell like an ashtray.
    I even have a smoking coat and wash hands and face afterwards
    Yet I still do it.
    Perhaps I have a death wish for fear of growing old and alone.
    If die younger - never get older ...
    The Peter-Pan  principle?

Tried vaping, that's when I discovered how strong nicotine is. Since did'nt have the smoke to gag me - I kept vaping the nasty tasting crap until I got tight chest and feeling weird. One day of that crap.

I can skip a day of smoking cigarettes but that's because I overdid the day before.
    Range of smoking cigs of 0-18 with an average of 9/day. Which is a lot higher than it used to be of around 4-5 cigs/day.

Patches make my skin itch
    The gum - I didn't know I was supposed to stop chewing and leave it between gum and cheek so nope that didn't work neither.

The only time I quit was in Boulder when a amore  friend was not willing to kiss me because I stank.  Quit for 1.5 years then  took it up again in Washington when living with a smoker.
    sadsadsad:sadsad

Tried a bunch of self hypno.

Remember the 'Cat's Eye' ? James Woods in some of the funniest acting that he's ever done as a man who wants to quit smoking. He goes to a place called Quitters, Inc. This clinic is run by a most unusual doctor played by comedian Alan King. Woods finds out quickly that their methods of trying to make smokers quit are odd. It's a Mafia style quit program. They don't cut off your pinkie finger if caught smoking -  they cut off your wife's pinkie. This story isn't really scary but it's downright hilarious with Woods trying desperately to kick the habit.
    Short scene: https://youtu.be/Wxy3lP-mH3Y

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13786686.jpg

1. Live to Learn profile image80
      Live to Learnposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Considering your attitude concerning the habit, your stated intake and the fact that you continue to do it; I'd say physical addiction is the least of your worries on the matter.

1. ptosis profile image82
        ptosisposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

So what is the Most of my Worries?
        <snipped>

Live to Learnposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Well, when you put it that way, perhaps professional help would be the better route.

2. lovetherain profile image81
      lovetherainposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I am trying to quit too. I find the Nicotrol inhalers work the best. Good luck to you.

Live to Learnposted 3 weeks agoin reply to this

Quitting smoking, like doing anything for health purposes, is an admirable endeavor. But turning any activity (healthy or otherwise) into a secret and bizarre ritual is quite a bit more unhealthy.

working