jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Why Do Nosebleeds Happen And How Do You Cure Them at Home?

1. ngureco profile image83
    ngurecoposted 8 years ago

Why Do Nosebleeds Happen And How Do You Cure Them at Home?

2. whizywhizy profile image52
    whizywhizyposted 8 years ago

I get a lot of nose bleed so I know quite a bit about them. The most common cause of a nose bleed is getting hit in nose by something or picking your nose. A high blood pressure and a lot of dust (the dust gets sucked inside a does damage) can cause seemingly random bleeds. The best way to cure them is to get some tissue paper and pinch it over you're nose while tilting you're head back. Make sure you're sitting comfortably and relax. If you're nose bleed lasts longer than 20 minutes you should get someone to take you to hospital. If you find that you are having frequent nose bleeds you should visit your doctor and get it checked. They may give you some special cream which you rub into your nose after a nose bleed. My friend recommended this cream to me after he had been to see the doctor and said it worked really well. Unfortunately I can not remember what it was called.

3. buckey777 profile image71
    buckey777posted 8 years ago

I to use to have nose bleeds quite often. However I was told this was due to a lack in potasium and the fact that I had weak veins in my nose. These veins would burst with me so much as sneezing. While whizywhizy was correct in how to treat it, nowdays they say that it is bad for you to tilt your head back. This will cause the blood to drain down the nasal passage and into the throat causing other problems. Now you are told to pinch the nostrils and lean forward so that the blood ends up in the tissue.

-Thomas M.

4. Michele Arrvinte profile image52
    Michele Arrvinteposted 8 years ago

The nose usually bleeds because some of the capillaries in the nose is damaged. The cause of the damage can be very different starting from high blood pressure and ending with picking your nose. In spite of what whizywhizy said it is not advised to tilt the head back. This way you can accidentally inhale some blood and I was told that this quite dangerous, can be fatal. It is better to lean forward and to let the blood flow. There is not much blood there to flow because the capillaries are quite small and if you don't have problems with blood coagulation it will heal in 3 minutes. If the cause is high pressure I was told that this is a natural way for the body to regulate the pressure.

working